Photo

WalMart to sell $199 HD-DVD player in Q4 2007?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#16 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,413 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:58

I will never buy anything else from WalMart (started that like a couple of years ago), especially electronics.
200 bucks in more than 6 months, is it THAT inexpensive? If it is, do you look for quality or cheapness?

Personally, I'd prefer paying like 400-500 and to have something that's actually worth it, not just to say "hey I can read HD-DVDs"!

So you think the quality on these units will not be better then regular DVDs? It will probably be HD-DVD Group certified as well. THis means 1080i output, TrueHD sound and i-HD...and that's all consumer needs.

Some people don't have $500 to spend and Wall-Mart as always will bring the cheapest possible price to a consumer. So the bottom line is this, it is very likely that we will see these HD-DVD players at $199. I mean for someone who makes below average salary this is GREAT news. They will be able to enjoy HD-DVD quality for the much lower price and this is the only thing that matters. I don't see that quality will be so much worse then HD-DVD player for XBox 360 to be honest. So there you go, it looks just fine.

#17 PixilEyes

PixilEyes

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• 3,634 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:08

So you think the quality on these units will not be better then regular DVDs? It will probably be HD-DVD Group certified as well. THis means 1080i output, TrueHD sound and i-HD...and that's all consumer needs.

Some people don't have $500 to spend and Wall-Mart as always will bring the cheapest possible price to a consumer. So the bottom line is this, it is very likely that we will see these HD-DVD players at $199. I mean for someone who makes below average salary this is GREAT news. They will be able to enjoy HD-DVD quality for the much lower price and this is the only thing that matters. I don't see that quality will be so much worse then HD-DVD player for XBox 360 to be honest. So there you go, it looks just fine.

+1

#18 goji

goji

Neowinian Senior

• 4,894 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:17

I don't see that quality will be so much worse then HD-DVD player for XBox 360 to be honest. So there you go, it looks just fine.

It will be horrendously worse as you know very well they will cut any and all corners to make this thing as cheap as possible for the average consumer. Anyone else who wants a quality unit with stellar performance will have to foot the bill and get what they pay for.

Wal-mart electronics as a whole are bad; saturating the market good.

#19 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

• 6,156 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:24

Yup, I agree that many people say "as long as I have the HD-DVD specs". Some people look for more. The majority doesn't, that's a major reason why Wal-mart is so strong... and why I avoid it.

#20 Express

Express

Neowinian Senior

• 1,770 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:16

If they put it this up on a Black Friday sale. I am sure Blu-ray will not much of presence at the end of the year.

#21 pyehac

pyehac

Neowinian Senior

• 4,096 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:40

Wow, with my discount card, I can get it for $179! :woot:

#22 vetgigapixels

gigapixels

Neowinian Senior

• 16,520 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:47

This is awesome. I personally will be buying a higher-quality unit myself, somewhere down the road, but this is definitely going to help HD-DVD get the edge over Blu-Ray. And that is exactly what I've been waiting for.

#23 7Dash8

7Dash8

Veritas Aequitas

• 597 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:58

Firstly, someone explain to me why it's so exciting for one "camp" to win the format wars? HDDVD is actually technically inferior to Blu-Ray, why is this a victory for the consumer (fanboyism aside)?

Secondly, as with most cheap electronics, corners will be cut. The first thing to go will be the digital processing, which will no doubt be as cheap as humanly possible while still technically adhering to the HDDVD standard. The end result is image quality that may well be quite crap (aliasing, jitter, false contouring).

This is the same story as the el-cheapo DVD players which came out and which are honestly worse than paperweights. If you want to view HDDVD you probably have an HDTV, which means you're not dirt poor. Save your pennies and buy a proper HDDVD or Blu-Ray player rather than this garbage.

#24 Joel

Joel

Neowinian Senior

• 29,330 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 13:43

HDDVD is actually technically inferior to Blu-Ray

The only way that is true is in capacity. How long do you want movies to get?

#25 TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver

Jolly Roger

• 2,834 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 14:02

Firstly, someone explain to me why it's so exciting for one "camp" to win the format wars? HDDVD is actually technically inferior to Blu-Ray, why is this a victory for the consumer (fanboyism aside)?

Secondly, as with most cheap electronics, corners will be cut. The first thing to go will be the digital processing, which will no doubt be as cheap as humanly possible while still technically adhering to the HDDVD standard. The end result is image quality that may well be quite crap (aliasing, jitter, false contouring).

This is the same story as the el-cheapo DVD players which came out and which are honestly worse than paperweights. If you want to view HDDVD you probably have an HDTV, which means you're not dirt poor. Save your pennies and buy a proper HDDVD or Blu-Ray player rather than this garbage.

+1

And even this spills out to be true, who's to say some Chinese produced Blu-ray player won't be released at $199 also? I would never buy this considering the quality spec at which it would probably be built to. I'll hang onto my $600 "paperweight" for now. This "war" is not over, nor will the release of this cheap product end it.

#26 WalMart_Worf

WalMart_Worf

Neowinian

• 45 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 15:31

+1

And even this spills out to be true, who's to say some Chinese produced Blu-ray player won't be released at $199 also? I would never buy this considering the quality spec at which it would probably be built to. I'll hang onto my $600 "paperweight" for now. This "war" is not over, nor will the release of this cheap product end it.

youre both FANBOYS. its using the broadcom chipset. the same one in the sony and samsung blu-ray players and toshiba HD-DVD players. you do realize that B-R and HD DVD players can use the same chipset because they use the same codecs right? they dont make 2 separate ones they make a universal one; its much more cost efficient. and they DONT NEED AA they're 1080p pixel perfect. what the hell would be the point? it would make it look worse. only way it would ever need it is if its upscaling.

the only diff is the rest of the player (drive, laser, assembly) is being contracted out to people who agreed to do it cheaper because of the volume of the deal w/ WAL-MART and the potential for a future relationship.

Attached Images

• kitty_punch.gif

#27 7Dash8

7Dash8

Veritas Aequitas

• 597 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 15:53

they DONT NEED AA they're 1080p pixel perfect. what the hell would be the point? it would make it look worse. only way it would ever need it is if its upscaling.

And you do realise that most people won't be running this player on a native 1080p set (given how expensive they are)? That's like putting budget tires on a Ferrari. The market for this player will be precisely the people trying to go HD on the cheap, likely on a 480P or 720P set. This means the onboard scaling unit will be doing the rescaling (given most TV's scalers are crap), and that's likely to result in aliasing among other things.

PS - How am I a fanboy? The OP of this thread is the clear HDDVD fanboy, cheering on an HDDVD "victory". I personally couldn't care less which format "wins", but this walmart player is not good news for consumers. Clearly you are the fanboy given you have walmart as part of your username!

Going HD on the cheap is a joke - only people with 720P or higher displays are going to get any benefit, since regular DVD is 480P and on a standard 480P set there is no visible difference between HD and SD. Even at 720P the difference is barely noticeable. So really, the whole exercise of going HD on the cheap is utterly pointless; those who have good enough TVs can afford to spend decent money either on a proper dual format player, or a single format player with good all-round quality and processing.

#28 Dazog

Dazog

No One Touches the Stache

• 626 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 16:11

I love how the blueray people still think there tech is "better"

It has a larger disc capacity right now thats it.

And remember blueray fan boys your BD-J is due in October, so just remember your spec isn't even done yet.

This is huge for HD-DVD, they will gain a huge lead in STAND-ALONE player sales.

Remember the PS3 IS NOT A STANDALONE PLAYER, its a game machine with a blueray drive in it, that COULD be used for movies.

#29 TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver

Jolly Roger

• 2,834 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 16:21

youre both FANBOYS. its using the broadcom chipset. the same one in the sony and samsung blu-ray players and toshiba HD-DVD players. you do realize that B-R and HD DVD players can use the same chipset because they use the same codecs right? they dont make 2 separate ones they make a universal one; its much more cost efficient. and they DONT NEED AA they're 1080p pixel perfect. what the hell would be the point? it would make it look worse. only way it would ever need it is if its upscaling.

the only diff is the rest of the player (drive, laser, assembly) is being contracted out to people who agreed to do it cheaper because of the volume of the deal w/ WAL-MART and the potential for a future relationship.

You're such a Wal-Mart fanboy. I prefer Target. Ha! :rolleyes:

Go slap on a blue vest and hand me my damn smiley face sticker. :laugh:

Sales figures still don't lie right?

#30 WalMart_Worf

WalMart_Worf

Neowinian

• 45 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 17:37

And you do realise that most people won't be running this player on a native 1080p set (given how expensive they are)? That's like putting budget tires on a Ferrari. The market for this player will be precisely the people trying to go HD on the cheap, likely on a 480P or 720P set. This means the onboard scaling unit will be doing the rescaling (given most TV's scalers are crap), and that's likely to result in aliasing among other things.

PS - How am I a fanboy? The OP of this thread is the clear HDDVD fanboy, cheering on an HDDVD "victory". I personally couldn't care less which format "wins", but this walmart player is not good news for consumers. Clearly you are the fanboy given you have walmart as part of your username!

Going HD on the cheap is a joke - only people with 720P or higher displays are going to get any benefit, since regular DVD is 480P and on a standard 480P set there is no visible difference between HD and SD. Even at 720P the difference is barely noticeable. So really, the whole exercise of going HD on the cheap is utterly pointless; those who have good enough TVs can afford to spend decent money either on a proper dual format player, or a single format player with good all-round quality and processing.

most people will probably be running it on a 720p TV (which are around $500 @ WAL-MART for a 32"). making the TV + the player $100 more than a PS3 or sony's new "cheap" $600 br player coming out in the summer.

also, it STILL doesnt need AA. its not upscaling the discs from 1080p to 720p. thats going down, and again ITS THE SAME CHIPSET as in all the other B-R HD-DVD players.

why youre a fanboy? hmm. did you even read your own post? youre trying to say it will be crap because its sold at walmart. and other players so much better because its less expensive. thats the most retarded logic ive ever heard. all your doing is being an ass and assuming (quite falsely).

i also have Worf as part of my username. do you suppose im a klingon who flies around on a spaceship bravely going where no man has gone before? check out the avatar genius; its a joke.

and lastly, besides the fact that lcds are w/in range of average consumers now and are expected to 1/2 in price by the end of the year; what makes you think that even people w/ $2,000 HDTVs wouldnt buy it? usually people who have that amount of money to blow also know how to save money. a lot of the tech in DVD players is obsolete when dealing w/ LCDs since they dont use an electron gun to scan the lines individually; the pixels are displayed concurrently. youre just speaking out of your ass trying to be an elitist; and you fail.

You're such a Wal-Mart fanboy. I prefer Target. Ha! :rolleyes:

Go slap on a blue vest and hand me my damn smiley face sticker. :laugh:

Sales figures still don't lie right?

dont make worf turn his phaser from stun to kill!

and what sales figures? are you talking about the ps3? typical fanboy, never learns. market penetration of even all the PS3s is about 1.5% of what DVD players were at the $200 price point. thats the magic # when ppl buy.

Attached Images

• worfKILL.jpg