Cannot create zip file in user folder

Hi, I cannot create a new zip file (via the context menu) in my user's home directory. If I right-click in any folder and go to "new > zip file", it works fine. However, if I try to do it in my user folder (C:\Users\Me) I get this error:

[Window Title]
Unable to create file

[Content]
Unable to create the file 'New PowerArchiver ZIP File.zip'

File system error (16386).

[OK]

I have noticed that this only happens when I access my user folder from the start menu. So, if I manually navigate to C:\Users\Me from the C:\ directory, it works fine. But, if I try to go there via the start menu I get this error.

I should also note that yes, as the message states, I use PowerArchiver. However, if I restore the association to default, the error still occurs.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if anyone has a solution. Thanks.

try using Winrar.. that specificly doesn't touch teh files.. if that doesn't work there's several HDD cloning systems which can copy files to separated location. The problem probably is the linking of files which you have no permission in or that is what I assume your powerarchiver sees.

I really don't think this is a PowerArchiver issue. The problem isn't within PowerArchiver itself, it's within Windows Explorer. I mean, the ONLY problem is that I can't create a new .zip file via the context menu in that one specific folder. What I really want is for someone to access their user folder by using the start menu link, use the context menu to create a new .zip file, and let me know if they get an error.

Like I said, I tried resetting the .zip registry entry to the default (removing the PowerArchiver association), and it still doesn't work. I'm wondering if this is merely a Vista bug or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by using HDD cloning systems, but I'm pretty sure that's not the answer. I also get the impression that you don't understand the problem. My problem is that I can not create a new .zip file via the Windows Explorer context menu in my user folder (all other folders work fine... in fact the user folder works fine too if I navigate there in explorer instead of using the start menu link). Thanks for trying to help though.

I'm sorry to bump my own thread, but can someone please just read through my thread and see if they have the same problem? I'm really not asking for much.

Create a new folder in user "Hitchhiker" or whatever name you have. Name the folder Zip or whatever, select folder, right click select properties, "Advanced" select compress folder to save space.

Hope this helps.

Create a new folder in user "Hitchhiker" or whatever name you have. Name the folder Zip or whatever, select folder, right click select properties, "Advanced" select compress folder to save space.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. But, I don't need to make .zip files to compress data on my drive (I have enough space). I usually make them for distribution over the internet. Also, like I said, I can make .zip files via the context menu in any other folder. All I'm looking for really is if anyone has this problem or not (that, and a fix if there is one). So, can you try to do this on your computer and see if you get the same error. I'm trying to find out if this is a Vista thing, or if it's specific to my computer. Thanks.

"I can not create a new .zip file via the Windows Explorer context menu in my user folder "

as another user suggested, use WinRAR

Another alternative, free open source 7-zip

http://www.7-zip.org/

v442 works fine on vista

Both WinRAR and 7-zip add right-click menu entries

Hmmz.. how about checking the permissions.. make an folder in root like 'C:\myfolder' type

takeown /F C:\myfolder

cacls C:\myfolder /T /G Everyone:F

and then try to ZIP,RAR (whatever) something to that C:\myfolder..

I mean it can't be many thinking blocking it to actually make an file somewhere NTFS permissions comes first in mind if you can't even make the actual ZIP..

If this is the case probably alot of other folders got permissions from your earlier system and well you need to add your current account details in all your custom folders or drives. Kinda ofcourse hard since there is system folders which needs to be protected and permission to system only but on that case you can simply leave 'system' to ahve permission on those folders like 'System Volume Information' on root of ever partition.

"I can not create a new .zip file via the Windows Explorer context menu in my user folder "

as another user suggested, use WinRAR

Another alternative, free open source 7-zip

http://www.7-zip.org/

v442 works fine on vista

Both WinRAR and 7-zip add right-click menu entries

Thanks a lot for the info, I didn't know that WinRAR created it's own "new file" entry. All I had to do was take zipnew.dat from WinRAR, and replace the zipnew.dat for PowerArchiver. I guess my old zipnew.dat got corrupted somehow, and this fixed it. Oh well, it works now.

Hmmz.. how about checking the permissions.. make an folder in root like 'C:\myfolder' type

takeown /F C:\myfolder

cacls C:\myfolder /T /G Everyone:F

and then try to ZIP,RAR (whatever) something to that C:\myfolder..

I mean it can't be many thinking blocking it to actually make an file somewhere NTFS permissions comes first in mind if you can't even make the actual ZIP..

If this is the case probably alot of other folders got permissions from your earlier system and well you need to add your current account details in all your custom folders or drives. Kinda ofcourse hard since there is system folders which needs to be protected and permission to system only but on that case you can simply leave 'system' to ahve permission on those folders like 'System Volume Information' on root of ever partition.

Thanks for the help, because I have had trouble with permissions before. I think I've worked all of those bugs out though.