New Project

Question

I am starting a new Visual Basic software project. Some C++ code will probably be required to build the required DLL's. It will be a security (logon etc..) replacement for Win9x since it doesn't have the features available in NT, 200, XP. I beleive that people would generally like this software and would probably pay a few bucks for it. Well if you are interested, PM me, reply to this post, e-mail me (one800keen@msn.com) or IM me on AIM (drepac14). Sorry about not giving out too many details about the project.

14 answers to this question

i think because if people want more security they will use win2k or xp.

if the ini files question is related to this program, you're gonna need to encrypt your settings somehow, otherwise someone could just boot to dos and open up that file and do whatever. :)

Well, it could be written for windows 2k/xp as well to provide more advanced security features. Also, I will not be needing to encrypt anything into the INI files as these will only provide user preferences. But if anyone is interested in getting onboard with this, it would be really helpful to me as I have just decided to start from scratch.

because your *.ini problem. Since you obviously had no clue what you were doing. Sorry, but its the truth. If you wanna use a file, your better off using an encrypted binary file. Not something a simple text editor can open :p

because your *.ini problem. Since you obviously had no clue what you were doing. Sorry, but its the truth. If you wanna use a file, your better off using an encrypted binary file. Not something a simple text editor can open :p

;) hmmm well I am writing this program mostly to learn Visual Basic better. Sorry for trying to learn :cry:

uh oh. ok, so no ones smacking you down for trying to learn vb. i just don't think too many people would be interesting in buying a program that was made by someone who's learning vb. you might try some basic vb tutorials if you're just learning...i learned vb cause i was at school and i wanted a program that would show the tv channels and shows for my limited weird cable i had a college.

but a security replacement, with c++ components and xp/2000 compatibility, that's a big jump. at least for me.

Well, if you wanna learn assembly i recommend learning inline assembly for c++. What you should look for is an x86 reference manual. That is pretty much all you will need once you learn the basic structure. So look for beginner asm site, that teaches you 32-bit x86 because the 16-bit will just confuse you.

template <class T>
inline void swap(T &a,T &b)
{
	asm("xchg %0,%1" : "=r" (a), "=r" (b) : "0" (a) , "1" (b) );
}

Here's a C++ function with asembly that swaps without intermediates, in 1 clock cycles. In fact, since its inlined, it isn't even a function, merely a line of code inserted where called.

Here's how this works, address of object (or variable) a is loaded into a register, same with object b.

Then i told the CPU to exchange the value in the two registers.

Basic structure of assembly:

-loading and storing

-arithmatic and logical operations

-branches (including conditional)

so lets say you wanted to load two numbers and branch if its equal to 6.

-load accumulator a with a value

-load another one with a value

-add the two together

-compare (ie: subtract 6 from result)

-if zero flag set brach to label

That should give you a good picture. Variables are either on a stack, in a register, or stored at a memory location.

Another thing you should learn is addressing modes. This is kinda equivalent to using pointers in C. Its very important in assembly.