Greetings from my iBook!

I really wish the Wintendo fanboys would stick to their own "I jez deletd ntldr, an now XP wont boot, am eye fscked?" threads. Go port a theme or rip an idea...hell, talk about framerates or how awesome your CS clan is. Why can't you just leave the Mac threads alone and not be such insulting ######? Maybe I should start harrassing everyone that posts about any new hardware they bought for their little pc, and see how quick I get banned. Wouldn't that be fun? Bunch of bored dickeheads, I guess.

Flames put to rest. Maybe one day he'll actually *use* a mac, so he can post with some intelligence...

Anyways, welcome to The Mac-inem Show. Make sure to ch-iz-eck the new mac users thread in this forum. Lots of handy-dandy links there :D

What (obviously in your opinion) makes this laptop a better choice than a PC based Laptop? I am sure it can't be the price or performace. Can it?

One of the reasons I went to Mac was I was getting tired of Microsoft forcing Big Brother technology down everyone's throats... They say it is to catch pirates, but hey, I don't need Big Brother Microsoft stopping me from downloading an MP3 just because I don't have a 'license' for it...

For those who say they aren't that bad...just wait for Longhorn... :p

I also liked the idea of a more stable and feature complete OS, higher quality of hardware (You do get what you pay for in computers) and even just the ability to be part of a little different crowd...

Stop by your local Apple store and bring an open mind...took me 12 years to open my mind to it...now I doubt I will ever purchase another WinTel PC...

I really wish the Wintendo fanboys would stick to their own "I jez deletd ntldr, an now XP wont boot, am eye fscked?" threads. Go port a theme or rip an idea...hell, talk about framerates or how awesome your CS clan is. Why can't you just leave the Mac threads alone and not be such insulting ######? Maybe I should start harrassing everyone that posts about any new hardware they bought for their little pc, and see how quick I get banned. Wouldn't that be fun? Bunch of bored dickeheads, I guess.

haha, that is great. i totally second that.

What (obviously

For those who say they aren't that bad...just wait for Longhorn... :p

I also liked the idea of a more stable and feature complete OS, higher quality of hardware (You do get what you pay for in computers) and even just the ability to be part of a little different crowd...

Stop by your local Apple store and bring an open mind...took me 12 years to open my mind to it...now I doubt I will ever purchase another WinTel PC...

Its a big shame that we have narrow minded muppets who flame our threads with their talk

of "my PC is big, better...blah..blah..blah" Frankly who cares??

I didn't spend a small fortune on a machine that was the fastest, or the best looking.

I chose to spend my time and money on a new and better computing experience. I agree with Cara,

Longhorn will bring Palladium and DRM to the masses and then we will see those pea brained muppets who brand us "fags" running for the hills.

AND I get to play with UniX all over again yippee!! (sorry the techie in me escapes again!)

I had a call from the courier company last night.

My iMac is arriving today at some point between 9-6 GMT...

I can't wait...

Will let you know how I get on...

P.S. I'll be 27 in 4 days, you think I'm getting too old to be excited over a new bit of kit?

What (obviously in your opinion) makes this laptop a better choice than a PC based Laptop? I am sure it can't be the price or performace. Can it?

Several factors. First, I wanted a change. I've been using Windows all my life on the computers I've bought, and the short time I spent working on eMacs at school, I fell in love with OS X. Secondly, it is light and easy to carry around. A Dell laptop that my uncle has (less than a year old) weighs over 8 pounds. And that isn't before putting in all your extra cords and adapters. And thirdly, I know quite a few people who own Macs and are very happy with them, so there can be nothing terribly wrong with that.

ive been using macs since i was around 5 years old, since not too long b4 i got my first 'non win 3x' computer, i wanted a mac, and now i have one :D, and our school is supposed to be installing osx on some of the g3's in january, i cant wait :D, hopefully i can help installing it for part of my 'computer' course credit...hopefully they dont set up netscrap 4 on osx...then it would have to use classic mode...

actually, you might want to go to dell.com and apple.com and comparitively price a top of the line dell with the top of the line powerbook. when it comes down to it, you get everything higher end on the mac except for the GHz value. a dell with 60gb hd, 1gig of ram, a 64mb radeon 9000, internal wifi card, 100mbit ethernet, cd-rw that plays dvds, etc came out to be about 600$ more expensive than the powerbook which had a built in dvd-r/cd-rw and gigabit ethernet on top of what the dell had. i don't know if $600 is worth the extra processor speed that you won't be utilizing that much anyways. when it comes down to it, ram is way more important.

oh, the powerbook is also lighter (meaning it's a laptop you can actually take with you without needing extra back support). and the battery life expectency is better than that on dells.

you get a better operating system, the opportunity to run many open source apps on it without having to reboot into a linux distribution. the opportunity to run windows xp in VPC to run all your non-3d accellerated pc applications.

all in all you get everything a pc has except for SOME games plus a whole lot more. personally warcraft3 is all i need and it is mac compatible.

but hey, if you want to spend $600 extra to be able to play games that won't even really utilize your extra 1.2 GHz then by all means go ahead.

oh and i forgot, if you're a student you can get an extra $500 off that powerbook i was mentioning. so i guess that would make it an extra 1100$ for 1.2GHz and less of everything else.

I use a sony laptop. I like the compatability, ( and the ease of finding good programs ) I am happy with windows xp, after I quash all the spy ware from micro$oft. I will NEVER upgrade from xp. If longhorn ( what a stupid name, sounds like bushism - you know bush + ism ) is as "licence protected" as it is supossed to be, I for one will be "switching" to a mac... I think that in 2-3 years macs will have the Horse power that I want, ( esp with the new dual ibm prossesors ) and I will happily pay the extra few hundred to get the quality, and speed ( hopefully ) that I will need. Also I hope that macs will eventually become compatable with some of the good technologies that are comming out. anyway, glad to see you have a good computer to play with...have fun.

Also I hope that macs will eventually become compatable with some of the good technologies that are comming out.

What Do u mean, you hope they will be compatible?! ... i mean this in a honest way, not as a means to flame! ...had to make that clear! ;)

but the way i interpreted ya post (Correct me by all means! :D) Was that Apple or OS X aren't "compatible" ... i've always looked on apple as a company who like to bring in new technologies and trends, So i dunno! I was jus confused as to what you meant by this, thats all!

peace

Also I hope that macs will eventually become compatable with some of the good technologies that are comming out.

What Do u mean, you hope they will be compatible?! ... i mean this in a honest way, not as a means to flame! ...had to make that clear! ;)

but the way i interpreted ya post (Correct me by all means! :D) Was that Apple or OS X aren't "compatible" ... i've always looked on apple as a company who like to bring in new technologies and trends, So i dunno! I was jus confused as to what you meant by this, thats all!

peace

Some things they are very up-to-speed with.. But still no USB 2.0 for example (at least I don't think so... Correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand that's kind of understandable seeing as how USB 2.0 is a "competitor" to FireWire, which is Apple's baby.. :)

Yea, thats one thing, but like ya said, its kinda "Counter Balanced" :D

I read something on FireWire 2 too, sounds neat, although it was quite vague, i don't assume it will be ready all that soon!

NeYo

The fact that USB 2.0 is still somewhat new (and is a competitor to firewire) is a good reason why. I rather think OSX is ahead of windows xp with implementing new tech. The gui in and of itself was a huge step up from ANY os (windows or mac). Bluetooth in something osx has built in that xp doesn't. Not until sp2 anyway. I think osx has better "ease of use" technology than windows. If you can call that technology.

I had the same points as yaself Superfula, but also things like Bringing Portable MP3 Digital Media Forward, the creation of the iPod set a standard that others strive to follow, fair enough the idea wasn't created by Apple (mp3's and the ORIGINAL mp3 player ) but what they did was make it accesible, easy ... the way our lives Should be! ... thats the kinda thing Apple are about tho, i mean, if iSync lives up to the same kinda compatibility, then it goes to show! :D

if you are using OSX you should serioulsy think about upping the ram... 256 min, 384 is good and you can get a stick of 256MB for about 50$...

I think a trend is starting... Windows Desktop for Games, iBook/Powerbook for wireless web surfing/email...

(Im on a Powerbook G3 500 with wireless internet around the house and when I am on campus... PC for games though)

I use a sony laptop. I like the compatability, ( and the ease of finding good programs ) I am happy with windows xp, after I quash all the spy ware from micro$oft. I will NEVER upgrade from xp. If longhorn ( what a stupid name, sounds like bushism - you know bush + ism ) is as "licence protected" as it is supossed to be, I for one will be "switching" to a mac... I think that in 2-3 years macs will have the Horse power that I want, ( esp with the new dual ibm prossesors ) and I will happily pay the extra few hundred to get the quality, and speed ( hopefully ) that I will need. Also I hope that macs will eventually become compatable with some of the good technologies that are comming out. anyway, glad to see you have a good computer to play with...have fun.

You also forgot the point that SONY is SONY. The electronics standard is theirs, so compatability would naturally come. Their style can even rival the macs. Its better having a memorystick slot and firewire handy isnt it?