Switching

This Christmas, I am getting myself another hard drive. Im installing Linux on it, and im going to teach linux to raid the other hard drive containing windows and eat critical system files. Im done with windows. Ill use it for games, only games.

Now to my point. Why doesnt linux have switch ads? They should have like Tux get on screen and squawk some and then go away then show and Apple Computer sitting somewhere all by itself and a windows pc crashing or complainign because it hasnt crashed in a while. Or something stupid like that.

Linux itself doesnt have a corporate structure. Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, Gentoo or one of the many other distro companies themselves would have to do it. I imagine it could be feasible for them to do it even on a fixed budget, but geting those ads on TV or in magazines or anything else besides the internet would probably be hard. I think most those distros put most of the money they make on selling their OS back into their OS and also the salaries and what not.

Although a Linux ad campaign could help spread the word about it.

Yeah, unfortunately the only *nix ads we'll see on TV for a while are IBM server ads :cry:

*nux suffers vastly from not being advertised enough. People don't know what *nix can do because they never see enough of it. All they see are mac and windows commercials. Although OSX is *nix based and can run some *nix programs, it's still not the real deal IMHO, but very close indeed. I'm not sure how many people know that OSX is *nix based, but if they did, I'm sure it might turn a lot of heads towards *nix based OSes and they would see how great *nix can be.

you never saw that where do you want to go today crap? and the stuff for xp with people floating around and poop? just as bad as the mac switch commercials imo.

you never saw that where do you want to go today crap? and the stuff for xp with people floating around and poop? just as bad as the mac switch commercials imo.

Hear hear! :D

I saw those XP Commercials. Also, I do understand your point on how Linux isn't advertised enough! Just yesterday, I made my system Linux only and I'm 100% satisfied with it! :) I'll be spreading the word to my friends over the next six months, even to those on other web sites! :D

I saw those XP Commercials.  Also, I do understand your point on how Linux isn't advertised enough!  Just yesterday, I made my system Linux only and I'm 100% satisfied with it! :) I'll be spreading the word to my friends over the next six months, even to those on other web sites! :D

The apple switch commercials are targetting (primarily) people on windows PCs who aren't satisfied with their computing experience - mostly because windows is "too hard" or "not logical" enough for "normal" people to use.

Apple switch commercial: "I plugged in the camera to my powerbook.....and I saved chirstmas"

Linux switch commercial: "Then I opened up the source code for the nv frame buffer driver and changed the default settings from 640x480x24@72 to 1280x1024x32@75. Then I changed to /usr/src/linux and recompiled the module. Then in installed the module, and edited my startup config files with nano -w to enable fbcon and rebooted...and recalculated and edit the timing number and then recompiled everything again and rebooted and...my consoles were higher resolution than it was before."

Linux is a great OS (one of my favorite) but companies don't have a distro capable of competing with Windows or OS X.

EDIT: As far as stability is concerned - my apple laptop has ~ 2 weeks of uptime this month (about to be reset because of 10.2.3) - my last reboot was because I couldn't remember what color the "apple logo" on the startup screen was.

no linux comercial because none of the the distos have the financial captial for such a campain, and i don't think linux is ready for people to switch as it still has a tough learning curve for the average user

It's ready for the switch, username, it's just that some minor user-friendly issues need to be worked on. Mandrake-Linux is already starting to get the edge on Windows with certain aspects.

It's ready for the switch, username, it's just that some minor user-friendly issues need to be worked on. Mandrake-Linux is already starting to get the edge on Windows with certain aspects.

:rolleyes: what do you mean by some minor user-friendly issues?

prasanth, XSane could use the auto-detection for the scanners. The firewall could be somewhat repaired. Also, the NVidia updates could be more user-friendly for the average user since 4191 doesn't work and 3123 requires quite a bit of console handling. Emulating Windows software still has a long way to go yet, though. Those are the only user-friendly issues I have experienced.

prasanth, XSane could use the auto-detection for the scanners. The firewall could be somewhat repaired. Also, the NVidia updates could be more user-friendly for the average user since 4191 doesn't work and 3123 requires quite a bit of console handling. Emulating Windows software still has a long way to go yet, though. Those are the only user-friendly issues I have experienced.

Thats your case. Linux don't have a nice help system, Installing drivers and apps can be real pain etc etc

What username said is true.