Game industry gets an "F" :-(...

I recieved this information from the GameDaily newsletter & website. It is the results from "The National Media Institute on Media and the Family report card on the video gaming industry, and of course they gave the industry an "F" (it should also be noted that Jospeh Leiberman was part of that committee:(). So here is what they reported:

?Games to avoid for your children.?

1. BMX XXX?Acclaim

2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City?Rockstar Games

3. Dead to Rights?Namco-Hometek

4. BloodRayne?Majesco

5. Run Like Hell?Interplay

6. Hunter the Reckoning?Interplay

7. Hitman 2?Eidos

8. Resident Evil 0?Capcom

9. Time Splitters?Eidos

10. Wacked!?Microsoft Game Studioscr   ?Positive games for children.?

1. Animal Crossing?Nintendo

2. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus?Sony Computer Ent.

3. Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2?Nintendo

4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets?Electronic Arts

5. Rollercoaster Tycoon?Infogrames

6. Mario Party 4?Nintendo

7. I Spy Challenger?Scholastic

8. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger?Electronic Arts

9. Yoshi's Island?Nintendo

10. Blinx: The Time Sweeper?Microsoft Game StudiosThe report issued today by the The National Media Institute on Media and the Family contained a series of suggestions to the interactive entertainment industry. They are quoted verbatim below:

1. The industry must make a real commitment, beyond its traditional lip service to keeping games intended for adults out of the hands of children and youth. Profiting from selling children interactive technology that depicts sexual and other serious crimes while claiming to be makers of wholesome entertainment is unacceptable and parents must not stand for it.

2. The ESRB is responding to critiques of its rating system by undertaking a review in 2003. We support that effort and recommend that the ESRB take the lead in creating an independently administered universal rating system that could be used by the game, film, and television industries. Eighty-four percent of parents support the creation of such a system.

3. Microsoft has agreed to install parental controls on the X Box console. We call upon Sony and Nintendo to do the same.

4. Retail and rental stores that have committed to policies preventing the sale or rental of adult games to children and teens should actively enforce these policies.

5. Retail chains and independent stores that have refused to restrict access to adult games should put an enforceable policy in place, a change supported by 92 percent of parents.

6. Parents need to become more knowledgeable of content and exert greater supervision over the games their children are playing.

7. The industry should continue efforts to educate the public about game ratings.

8. The Advertising Review Council should continue to enforce guidelines for marketing and advertising.orceThe National Media Institute on Media and the Family has weighed in with its seventh-annual Media Wise Videogame Report Card today, and gave the industry its first overall failing grade.

The report was introduced by David Walsh, PhD, president and founder of the Institute, Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) and Rep. Betty McCollum (D-Minn).

The final overall grade for the industry was an ?F,? designed to reflect, ?The dramatic increase in violent games and, in particular, games rewarding violence against women.?

Ratings accuracy received a ?D? grade, with the report noting that, ?The industry has made important steps in the last few years to accurately rate all games. However, it is disturbing to see that some of the most popular games with adult themes are inappropriately deemed suitable for younger audiences.? Specifically the report cited BMX XXX from Acclaim Entertainment, calling it ?incomprehensible? that the game did not receive an ?AO? (Adults Only) rating.

The report card gave the Ratings Education category a grade of ?C.? the results were based upon a telephone survey of 40 videogame retail and rental stores. 47 percent of those asked claimed to educate the public about the ESRB rating system, a gain of 10 percentage points from 2001 results. However, the report stated that only 77 percent of employees surveyed actually understood the rating system, down from 88 percent a year-ago. Also, the percentage of stores that trained their employees on ratings fell to 32 percent this year from 51 percent in 2001.

The ratings Enforcement category received an ?F? this year, based on statistics that showed only 70 percent of stores have a policy that prevents children 17 and younger from renting or buying ?M? (Mature) rated games. The 70 percent figure represents a five percent drop from 2001. The report also stated that chain and rental stores are still more likely to enforce the age regulation for purchasing ?M?-rated games. Summing up, the report stated, ?Despite repeated pleas for an effective system, enforcement is still dismal.?ated, ?Despite repeated pleas for an effective system, enforcement is still dismal.?

yes because video games are the cause of all problems in the world today.......people need to lighten up on this whole "parent control" thing. how hard is it for a parent to just take a game away if they don't want their child playing it. i feel it's time for parents to start being parents and stop asking the media to do it for them.

I agree that certain games should be not available to kids... the likes of Grand Theft Auto are great fun for adults, but children are impressionable and easily mislead.. it opens up huge great cans of moral worms.

If a kid is old enough to work get paid, he/she should be able to do whatever he/she wants with their money. Be it buy video games, alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

Parents should stop buying violent and explicit entertainment if they don't want their kids to have it or don't give their kids money for it. The end.

130 years ago "kids" were busting their butts working in fields and building things and we had none of this "WE MUST PROTECT THE CHILDREN" nonsense. Even further back a lot more 13-15 year olds used to get married or have children. I'm sure in some other regions of the planet that is still the case.

But of course a certain segment would rather have their kids growing up like the Ned Flanders' kids.

you have to realise that many kids like at the age of 12 are playing gta and similair calssed games ..there is no parent control in many households....this leads to the problems of todays society just like bangbang023 said...

this has to stop...i know enough local children who play gta etc and theyre like 12 and 14 :ninja: ....

you have to realise that many kids like at the age of 12 are playing gta and similair calssed games ..there is no parent control in many households....this leads to the problems of todays society just like bangbang023 said...

this has to stop...i know enough local children who play gta etc and theyre like 12 and 14 :ninja: ....

I'd argue it's no one's business what other people are doing as long as it doesn't affect you.

What video games did Napoleon play? Hitler? Dahmer? rapists through the past 2000 years? Violent people have existed throughout history, and using video games as a scapegoat for society's ills is ridiculous. Violence and non-conformist behavior is an inherent trait of humanity, just as it is in the animal kingdom.

you have to realise that many kids like at the age of 12 are playing gta and similair calssed games  ..there  is no parent control in many households....this leads to the problems of todays society just like bangbang023 said...

I'd argue it's no one's business what other people are doing as long as it doesn't affect you.

What video games did Napoleon play? Hitler? Dahmer? rapists through the past 2000 years? Violent people have existed throughout history, and using video games as a scapegoat for society's ills is ridiculous. Violence and non-conformist behavior is an inherent trait of humanity, just as it is in the animal kingdom.

/me aplauds, one of the best comments today

If you dont want your kids to play these games dont purchase them. Dont punish the real people who matter.. .US!! hahahah

I mean good lord if parents would quit blaming everyone else for issues then this crap would go away. My parents use to regulate what games i played and what movies I watched as a child.. Parents are just lazy now adays.

Alas...

Prophecy

what i'm trying to say fotix is that KIDS these days are commiting crimes which kids 20 years ago would not...

they dont have respect for thier parents etc..these attitudes are created from games..violent games...

and as fotix said "it's no one's business what other people are doing as long as it doesn't affect you"

i think living in a society where the surrounding children are all curroupted to violent vid games will have a different attitude than those who are not..therefore if the current society is affected by tomorows genertation...then what would happen when this young generation grows up??? ;)

what i'm trying to say fotix is that KIDS these days are commiting crimes which kids 20 years ago would not...

they dont have respect for thier parents etc..these attitudes are created from games..violent games...

and as fotix said "it's no one's business what other people are doing as long as it doesn't affect you"

i think living in a society where the surrounding children are all curroupted to violent vid games will have a different attitude than those who are not..therefore if the current society is affected by tomorows genertation...then what would happen when this young generation grows up??? ;)

No, those attitudes are created because bad parents behavior, then its not the fault that parents in these modern days use drugs, alcohol, cause familiar violence... etc

Very childish attitude from you blaming games

I'll bite one last time. :p Kids don't have respect for their parents because the parents let the get away with it. My one cousin is a teen and she is a b*tch to her parents let me tell ya, and she never played video games or really watched any tv at all. Her parents let her get away with stealing the car to get drunk and they argue when she comes back. But she's never punished. Oops.

What crime are you talking about? Gun crime? I know gun crime is up in the U.K. but that's a whole other thread to get into...

Tomorrow's generation will be fine. Hell, compared to world wars and fuedalism, we've come a loooong way. I grew up in a family and drank beer since I was 7 and I'm not even close to becoming an alcoholic. Correlation does not equal causation...

Violence is at an all time low in the world, even with the Iraq war looming and al Qaeda. Take a look at how crappy humans were before the Renaissance. Violence will always be there in some form because someone will never be satisfied and act against people.

yep

lets blame it on the games, every school killing, every suicide and every act of terrorism

ive ogt an idea lets blame the twin towers collapsing from a set of terrorists that came from a country were they ban you to listen to music, watch TV, and play Video games...

Brilliant

i think the people who are responsible for this censorship BS should really concentrate on were the REAL problems are, like all the sick *cough*s that are actually commiting the crimes and killing themselves

:angry: :angry: :angry:

The government understands that this sort of media attention will not only help games like GTA and BMX XXX but it will make them so controversial every1 is going to want it just to see what the fuss is over? I really dont understand why sen liberman has been so anti gaming. mabey he just got his a$$ thoroughly pounded in a round of halo. but who knows i didnt elect this joke of a sen so he should have no say on what my viewing habits should be.

The government understands that this sort of media attention will not only help games like GTA and BMX XXX but it will make them so controversial every1 is going to want it just to see what the fuss is over? I really dont understand why sen liberman has been so anti gaming. mabey he just got his a$$ thoroughly pounded in a round of halo. but who knows i didnt elect this joke of a sen so he should have no say on what my viewing habits should be.

Yea no $hit! I sure hoe Senator Leiberman doesn't run for Presidnet b/c if he does then I will vote for the other guy (& it would be my first time voting too.)

Yea no $hit! I sure hoe Senator Leiberman doesn't run for Presidnet b/c if he does then I will vote for the other guy (& it would be my first time voting too.)

Cool dude :laugh: I don't like Leiberman either, after he tried to get violent games banned in the mid-90s. I still have the magazine (Next Generation) with the interview with him. He's one scary dude.

Entertainment shouldn't be taken so seriously, but some people do. And that's too bad. Though it's their fault, not mine and not the game makers.

Cool dude :laugh: I don't like Leiberman either, after he tried to get violent games banned in the mid-90s. I still have the magazine (Next Generation) with the interview with him. He's one scary dude.

Entertainment shouldn't be taken so seriously, but some people do. And that's too bad. Though it's their fault, not mine and not the game makers.

exactly. entertainment is for a fun diversion not to be looked at as the trouble of the world. liberman is very commited to taking down video games and i hope that the good people of CT will NOT elect him anymore.

exactly. entertainment is for a fun diversion not to be looked at as the trouble of the world. liberman is very commited to taking down video games and i hope that the good people of CT will NOT elect him anymore.

Amen to that. ;)

I was being 100% sarcastic. Video games are nothing but a game and if people want to place the blame on them, those very people are just trying to excuse their own behavior.