Is it possible to bring back the XP Start Menu in Vista?

hem...other than the fact that it puts folder last, and that it sorts everything automatically, I don't quite see the difference in usability. Someone could explain to me what is so dreadful about it?

Agreed those are annoying as especially as the option to stop it from re-ordering menus items alphabetically no longer works (what's the point in the option then?) but to answer your question nothing is wrong with it really it's just the XP one was better. It's too crammed now trying to fit in all the start menus item into that little box.

As to the Search idea IMO it's a rubbish one, if you organise your start menu that is. I only have 7 folders in my Start Menu and 1 of those is Startup. It takes me seconds to find the icon I want instead of messing around typing it in. I doubt I'll ever open something by typing it in.

I am actually surprised that MS didn't do some type of dock (other than the sidebar).

They'd get sued by Apple first and foremost, and from a useability standpoint, I still think a taskbar is more practical. But check out RocketDock and ObjectDock 1.9. Both are built for Vista, and work wonderfully. RocketDock, especially, is light on resources and still packs a lot of nice features.

LMAO ;) Hell, they copied some of OS X anyway. ;) lol

Such as? Much of the technology in Vista, such as Instant Search and Previous Versions, were in fact built by Microsoft as early as 2003. Apple actually copied the technology, renamed them Spotlight and Time Machine, and brought them to market first.

Becuase the new start menu is NOT "change for the better" - it is a horrible system designed to be different for the sake of it. However, the search bar that is now included means that you don't need to use it often - if it wasn't for that there would be a LOT of people complaining. But the point remains that the new start menu is disgusting and I too would prefer the old XP system, even though I would mainly use the search bar.

I disagree with you... I find Vista's start menu to be far better organized and laid out. Having everything in one compact section is the way to go, in my opinion. And, like others have said, the whole point of Vista's start menu is that you don't even need it. You use the Instant Search to find w/e you need. The only time I've found myself going into Vista's actual start menu was to physically add a shortcut in there; otherwise, I've never used it, I have no need for it with Instant Search.

Why would I want to type "Word" when I can click on the frickin' shortcut on the desktop?

Obviously, not everyone will have a shortcut on the desktop. In fact, I strongly dislike desktop icons, I much prefer a dock. To me, desktop icons are just clutter, between Quick Launch and a third party dock, I see no need for having them.

Obviously, not everyone will have a shortcut on the desktop. In fact, I strongly dislike desktop icons, I much prefer a dock. To me, desktop icons are just clutter, between Quick Launch and a third party dock, I see no need for having them.

I'm not a fan of desktop icons either but a Dock kinda annoys me too :/

When it comes to my desktop, I keep icons to a minimal. 10 or less.

3 Quick launch, 10 Static ( I turned off recently opened programs in the XP start menu) icons in start menu. + 10 on the desktop.

My problem with the vista start menu is that when you have a massive amount of apps like I do, Scrolling up/down looking for apps is just irritating at best. It just feels, to me, way to crampt.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned with my Classic Themed, Blue background XP (win 2000) style desktop.

I'm not a fan of desktop icons either but a Dock kinda annoys me too :/

When it comes to my desktop, I keep icons to a minimal. 10 or less.

3 Quick launch, 10 Static ( I turned off recently opened programs in the XP start menu) icons in start menu. + 10 on the desktop.

My problem with the vista start menu is that when you have a massive amount of apps like I do, Scrolling up/down looking for apps is just irritating at best. It just feels, to me, way to crampt.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned with my Classic Themed, Blue background XP (win 2000) style desktop.

But if you have so many apps, why don't you just use Instant Search? Assuming you've more or less kept the default installation options (that is, to Program Files) they should all be properly indexed. If not, you can add more folders to be indexed, so everything is found quicker.

I'm still undecided on how much I like the new start menu. Visually it's ok, but the functionality doesn't impress me that much. But as others have said I just use a dock program anyways.

:)

I am actually surprised that MS didn't do some type of dock (other than the sidebar).

What aspect of the Dock did you expect to see? Windows already has the taskbar and quicklaunch, which accomplish the same functionality as the Dock in a much more useful and clear way. The dock mixes functionality and has very inconsistent behavior - why would you ever want that?

Other than the specific UI of the Dock, I don't think Microsoft would have to worry about being sued if they were to implement something more like the Dock. It's not like the Dock originated in OS X, all they did was a take the common dock / wharf idea from various *nix shells and add zooming icons to it.

What aspect of the Dock did you expect to see? Windows already has the taskbar and quicklaunch, which accomplish the same functionality as the Dock in a much more useful and clear way. The dock mixes functionality and has very inconsistent behavior - why would you ever want that?

Other than the specific UI of the Dock, I don't think Microsoft would have to worry about being sued if they were to implement something more like the Dock. It's not like the Dock originated in OS X, all they did was a take the common dock / wharf idea from various *nix shells and add zooming icons to it.

You make good points, but for some people, like myself, having desktop icons, Quick Launch and the standard taskbar make the whole desktop a bit crowded. What I like about the Dock is that everything is in one, compact place. Every minimized window, shortcuts to the most common apps I use, etc. I completely understand the idea behind the taskbar, but for me, I just find that simplicity is the way to go. Of course, everyone has different computing habits. These are mine.

^ But the quicklaunch is on the taskbar? Kinda like the dock isn't made up of just shortcuts. Wouldn't deleting the desktop icons bring you to the same spot?

You make good points, but for some people, like myself, having desktop icons, Quick Launch and the standard taskbar make the whole desktop a bit crowded. What I like about the Dock is that everything is in one, compact place. Every minimized window, shortcuts to the most common apps I use, etc. I completely understand the idea behind the taskbar, but for me, I just find that simplicity is the way to go. Of course, everyone has different computing habits. These are mine.

As Slimy said, what's the difference between just using QuickLaunch and keeping your desktop clean? (or using it for something else?)

I don't put shortcuts on my desktop, I just have a taskbar that looks like this:

post-30311-1181079758_thumb.jpg

I don't really see how the Dock is "simpler." In fact, as I said above, I find it much more confusing because running apps are mixed in with quicklaunch-style shortcuts. The only other main difference the Dock has is the large icons / thumbnails of running applications versus the small icon and title bar.

As Slimy said, what's the difference between just using QuickLaunch and keeping your desktop clean? (or using it for something else?)

I don't put shortcuts on my desktop, I just have a taskbar that looks like this:

post-30311-1181079758_thumb.jpg

I don't really see how the Dock is "simpler." In fact, as I said above, I find it much more confusing because running apps are mixed in with quicklaunch-style shortcuts. The only other main difference the Dock has is the large icons / thumbnails of running applications versus the small icon and title bar.

If this works for you, that's fine. I'd imagine it works equally well for the majority of people. But I merely posted my preferences, for me, I like having a Dock.

By the way, on the subject of Quick Launch, how did you get the icons larger?

I like the Vista start menu. Really used to just typing out a couple of words of the program I need and boom its running!

Brandon: Your Start++ program is very nifty :D

Edited by PaulCabby

By the way, on the subject of Quick Launch, how did you get the icons larger?

Just right-click on it, click "View" and then "Large Icons." Same as XP :)

Oh, you have to unlock the taskbar first of course.

Just right-click on it, click "View" and then "Large Icons." Same as XP :)

Oh, you have to unlock the taskbar first of course.

I didn't even know you could do this in XP. Cool.

I didn't even know you could do this in XP. Cool.

Yup. Only caveat is, they don't get centered vertically with the Start orb, like they are in my screenshot above. One way to achieve that is via Free Launch Bar (or True Launch Bar, the non-free premium version).

Yup. Only caveat is, they don't get centered vertically with the Start orb, like they are in my screenshot above. One way to achieve that is via Free Launch Bar (or True Launch Bar, the non-free premium version).

That's one of the things I really like about Vista, the Orb centers vertically. That always bugged me about XP, that the button would get shoved to the top when I make my taskbar two rows high.

• 6 months later...

I get really annoyed when people have to insert their own comments as to why we should like the new start menu, or how we can use the search function to search our start menu, or how the XP start menu was no good.

I have my XP start menu VERY organized and I don't take a long time to find things in it.

When I'm wanting to launch a program I certainly DO NOT WANT TO TYPE the name of what I'm looking for.

Microsoft would have FAR FAR LESS problems by just letting people choose between the new Vista Start menu, the Windows 9X start menu, or the XP start menu.

Now the title of this thread was not "Please give me your opinions on why I should not want the XP start menu in Vista" it was "Is it possible to bring back the XP Start Menu in Vista?".

Now I would hope that all posts past mine would offer some insight into how to make this happen. Someone posted on page 1 about using Windows Blinds or WinBlinds. Can someone shed some light into how that works and if that is compatible with the Windows Sidebar.

All i want is a the silly XP start menu. How complicated is that to integrate into all the other new things Vista has to offer. I wouldn't mind using Vista if I could have my old start menu. I don't like the Vista start menu and I didn't see the need to change a perfectly working XP start menu, and I REALLY do not understand why the end user is not given a choice.

Please, no comments on why Vistas is better, just tell us how to get an XP menu working in Vista.

Fever

Someone posted on page 1 about using Windows Blinds or WinBlinds. Can someone shed some light into how that works and if that is compatible with the Windows Sidebar.
Windowblinds, to my knowledge, does not emulate the behavior of the XP start menu.
I don't like the Vista start menu and I didn't see the need to change a perfectly working XP start menu, and I REALLY do not understand why the end user is not given a choice.
Perhaps that there weren't enough differences between the XP and Vista start menus to warrant its inclusion as an option. Differences between the 9x and XP/Vista start menus on the other hand are quite big.

It is possible if someone out there writes a replacement start menu for Vista just as one wrote a vista-like one for XP.

• 2 weeks later...

Vista's start menu is what I didn't like in it as soon as I saw it. I like being able to organize my menu into categories. The only plus was that auto arranged the menu, otherwise it was crap. Vista's start menu is yet another way the OS has taken choice away from you.

• 3 weeks later...
LMAO ;) Hell, they copied some of OS X anyway. ;) lol

The time machine idea in OSX is Microsoft's idea "Accept for the graphic part". Microsoft calls it "Volume Shadow Copy". It comes from Server 2003.

I'm still undecided on how much I like the new start menu. Visually it's ok, but the functionality doesn't impress me that much. But as others have said I just use a dock program anyways.

I use a trackball mouse with a wheel and I really enjoy the new Start menu....Just get use to the wheel on your mouse and you will not want to go back. The new start menu was built with using the wheel in mind.

I use a trackball mouse with a wheel and I really enjoy the new Start menu....Just get use to the wheel on your mouse and you will not want to go back. The new start menu was built with using the wheel in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love using Free Launch Bar on XP, but in Vista when you run it, it removes the transparency on the task bar for some reason. It's very annoying, so I dont use it anymore.

Anyone got any solution for the above problem?

I get really annoyed when people have to insert their own comments as to why we should like the new start menu, or how we can use the search function to search our start menu, or how the XP start menu was no good.

I have my XP start menu VERY organized and I don't take a long time to find things in it.

When I'm wanting to launch a program I certainly DO NOT WANT TO TYPE the name of what I'm looking for.

Microsoft would have FAR FAR LESS problems by just letting people choose between the new Vista Start menu, the Windows 9X start menu, or the XP start menu.

Now the title of this thread was not "Please give me your opinions on why I should not want the XP start menu in Vista" it was "Is it possible to bring back the XP Start Menu in Vista?".

Now I would hope that all posts past mine would offer some insight into how to make this happen. Someone posted on page 1 about using Windows Blinds or WinBlinds. Can someone shed some light into how that works and if that is compatible with the Windows Sidebar.

All i want is a the silly XP start menu. How complicated is that to integrate into all the other new things Vista has to offer. I wouldn't mind using Vista if I could have my old start menu. I don't like the Vista start menu and I didn't see the need to change a perfectly working XP start menu, and I REALLY do not understand why the end user is not given a choice.

Please, no comments on why Vistas is better, just tell us how to get an XP menu working in Vista.

Fever

For me the new and useless 'Start Menu' is the most disliked feature of Vista. In fact I dislike it so much that I am even willing to use the archaic 'Win9x Start Menu'. In my opinion Microsoft really screwed up big time by meddling with the 'XP Start Menu'. Now if only they or some third party could provide an alternate for people like us who cannot do without the 'XP Start Menu'. I have tried 'Vista Start Menu v2.7' it is certainly better than the useless 'Vista Start Menu' but ti is still not as neat and functional as the 'XP Start Menu'.

The vista start menu is far Superior, the search makes it incredibly easy to find any program easily, and the tree view instead of the cascading menu makes it quicker so you don't have to look through another menu. Dragging stuff in the start menu is much better too.