Bush demands ISPs spy on all users

A published report here in the United States says the Bush administration is likely to propose creation of a centralized system to monitor the Internet, in an effort to increase national security.

The New York Times reports the White House may require Internet service providers to help build the monitoring system.

Quoting several unidentified people who have been briefed on the issue, the newspaper says a proposal for monitoring the Internet is part of the final version of a government report on cyberspace security ("The National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace"), set for release next year. If the Bush administration plan is approved by Congress and U.S.

If the Bush administration plan is approved by Congress and U.S. regulatory agencies, The New York Times says it could allow authorities to conduct surveillance of individual Internet users. The government report labels the proposed plan as an "early warning" system to detect Internet-based attacks and provide a defense against software viruses.(ed. Yeah that's a good one, viruses...)

The newspaper says some Internet service providers are concerned that a monitoring program could lead to unlawful wiretapping and other violations of Internet users' privacy.

Source: VOANews.com

Very detailed New York Times Story

Sorry you have to register to read, if I find a better way I will update.

Slashdot

This man is the most evil thing I have ever witnessed in my life. If I explain it any further my real opinion, I'll be kicked off the site. But let's just say I'm so very POed my blood is boiling.

Edited by Fotix

Excuse me if I'm wrong but I haven't read the entire artical but wouldn't this undermind current laws? I thought that an ISP wasn't allowed to look at your traffic, or what ever they look at, unless served with a search warrant for your connection? Besides, how can they monitor everyone? Are they monitoring me? Are they monitoring you? :unsure:

Excuse me if I'm wrong but I haven't read the entire artical but wouldn't this undermind current laws? I thought that an ISP wasn't allowed to look at your traffic, or what ever they look at, unless served with a search warrant for your connection? Besides, how can they monitor everyone? Are they monitoring me? Are they monitoring you? :unsure:

Since when has this administration cared about laws? They secretly detain people without attorneys, want to bomb other countries without one single shred of evidence, want to police the internet even though I know Osama couldn't have found a decent meal let alone check his email. Luckily some states are fighting back against the federal government: Story.

Thats why a lot of people are worried, me included, at alot of the steps the gov is taking.

New powers like the ability to perform wiretaps without warrants, hold you without charging you with a crime, and many others have alot of people scared, and it is happening. Wether it'll be widely misused who knows, but I disagree with the way things are going as well.

Oh and isn't it funny how alot of the courts that decide this are secret? Doesn't that seem to go against the idea of a court in the first place?

I don't think those kind of groups can really do anything. The general population for some reason actually seems to agree with the new idea of guilty before proven for thier own safety.

Seems as long as it's for national security it's unpatriotic to disagree with it. Everyone I know is cool with it because everyone assumes it doesn't apply to them.

I got your back Fotix, I know what you mean. It's way more than a privacy issue, it's a new way of thinking, this whole pre-emptive idea is completely against the whole idea of due process and law.

And the worst part is that the people actually think the government can protect them from terrorist acts. Lol, it's not possible people, so you can either live in danger with your rights, or live in danger without your rights, your call.

Bush is a ________________ (fill in phrase).

He's hell bent on war, sucking up to the money men in Washington. so lets see HIS email get monitored... Then we'll see who squalks the most!

What worries me most about this, Bush does what he wants, GET'S what he wants. Yes I voted for him, but if I knew what was ahead of the country at the time, I would have voted for Gore, or not voted at all. Just the thought of someone monitoring me online, that's a violation of my civil rights in my opinion. What's next? Monitoring phone systems? They probably are already, what's wrong with me. Just think, I'm sure most of you saw Hackers 2 Operation Takedown? S.A.S. system, what if poop like that were real? Is it? Was it? What the hell happend to FREEDOM? Only freedom we have now is in our private homes. I don't know what to think anymore, this is really upsetting to me. I have rights, the internet shouldn't be a place to look for terrorists, I think terrorists are smarter than that now, come on! Maybe I'm wrong on this, maybe not. It's got me nervous. I'll never have a conversation online again. :no:

What worries me most about this, Bush does what he wants, GET'S what he wants. Yes I voted for him, but if I knew what was ahead of the country at the time, I would have voted for Gore, or not voted at all. Just the thought of someone monitoring me online, that's a violation of my civil rights in my opinion. What's next? Monitoring phone systems? They probably are already, what's wrong with me. Just think, I'm sure most of you saw Hackers 2 Operation Takedown? S.A.S. system, what if poop like that were real? Is it? Was it? What the hell happend to FREEDOM? Only freedom we have now is in our private homes. I don't know what to think anymore, this is really upsetting to me. I have rights, the internet shouldn't be a place to look for terrorists, I think terrorists are smarter than that now, come on! Maybe I'm wrong on this, maybe not. It's got me nervous. I'll never have a conversation online again. :no:

i dont understand what you guys are so scared of??? so what if hes monitoring me WHO CARES! i know im not doing anything online that im afraid the government might find out. big deal so what if they keep track of a couple of gaming websites and news sites that i go to. hell i hope they keep track of my UT2k3 stats while theyre at it. i have nothing to hide from anyone, and what exactly makes you so important that you just know youll be the first to be monitored by the gov?? your most likely never to be hasseled by the gov. ne way unless you live in the ghetto or your of arab decent....

i dont understand what you guys are so scared of??? so what if hes monitoring me WHO CARES! i know im not doing anything online that im afraid the government might find out. big deal so what if they keep track of a couple of gaming websites and news sites that i go to. hell i hope they keep track of my UT2k3 stats while theyre at it. i have nothing to hide from anyone, and what exactly makes you so important that you just know youll be the first to be monitored by the gov?? your most likely never to be hasseled by the gov. ne way unless you live in the ghetto or your of arab decent....

Score: -1, Flamebait. :angry:

I pledge allegiance to the FLAG, of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under GOD, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for ALL.

054_8435.jpg

Does Bush know the words? Does Bush remember what this means? Stands for? Does he understand it?

you do think they will stop there? that is the START dude!! the kick off to start the 100% pure control over our lives. it starts with "small" things then moves to little bigger and bigger..

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, now conceals, now discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines on the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner! O long may it wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion

A home and a country should leave us no more?

Their blood has wiped out their foul footstep's pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Score: -1, Flamebait.   :angry:

:blink: sorry but i dont get it

It came off as though you don't care if Arab people are harassed or people in the ghetto are either. As much as we may look down upon them, their lives are equal to ours. It is so important that we keep our rights for everyone, not just the elite anglo saxon aristocrats.

Piece by piece the government has indulged in taking away rights since 9/11. We never should have changed a thing. But alas, the fascism of the current administration now can flex it's muscle by pillaging the memory of our perished comrades who died on that day...

I see your point, do I agree? NO! The whole point to this discussion is Civil Liberties. Bush is slowly stripping them away, he shouldn't and doesn't have the right to monitor me, you, nor anyone else. He needs probable cause, we all aren't criminals, we all aren't terrorists...

you do think they will stop there? that is the START dude!! the kick off to start the 100% pure control over our lives. it starts with "small" things then moves to little bigger and bigger..

:woot: :woot: :woot: i really hope your joking. cmon b serious. 100% control of our lives???? :D look ill start a revolution as soon as they decide to start censoring the GTA's but not because theyre looking at some lame cookies in my browser... lets not be conspiracy theroists here ;)

Score: -1, Flamebait. ?:angry::

:blink:: sorry but i dont get it

It came off as though you don't care if Arab people are harassed or people in the ghetto are either. As much as we may look down upon them, their lives are equal to ours. It is so important that we keep our rights foreveryone>, not just the elite anglo saxon aristocrats.

Piece by piece the government has indulged in taking away rights since 9/11. We never should have changed a thing. But alas, the fascism of the current administration now can flex it's muscle by pillaging the memory of our perished comrades who died on that day...

AGREED