Failed my driving test :(

Did my first driving test (UK) today, was very nervous, so nervous I forgot to turn the ignition on to check the headlights lol! My legs were shaking I was so nervous, I was actually laughing at myself.

Sadly for me, I failed, with 4 minors and 1 serious, which was when I pulled over to let a bus through, I apparently got too close to the parked car in front of me. Damn! Pretty pleased with only 4 minors though, one of which was for a silly bay parking mistake which I never do usually. My instructor said the examiner I had was a bit notorious as being one of the worst ones, apparently likes to pass all the girls. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty good drive, especially considering that was the first time I've driven without my instructor with me, telling me what to do some of the time, and I was driving on different roads. I'm actually not as annoyed as I thought I would be if I failed. If I fail next time, then I'll be angry lol. Not happy about paying ?90 a time!

Any driving test stories/experiences/tips?

I think the best thing you can do is to be calm. I swear that i drove worse on my second test, but i was much more confident and calm and so i passed. Just take your time and relax (though not too much :p) and you'll be fine :)

I got a minor for driving too slow which I was disappointed with. I was trying to show that I understand its a very built up residential street and was being careful. I later ran and an amber light and gave up with the test. Surprised to find I passed.

TBH they are only looking to see if your a safe driver. Win them over on that and your sorted. Just make them notice your aware of everything around you and over use your mirrors.

Let's see. Where should I begin?

I also blew my first G1 exit test (ahh, stupid Ontario graduated licensing system). My mistakes? The first moment I pulled out of the parking lot, my examiner instructed me to "exit towards your left, so please back out to the right." I did the exact opposite. While I was on the major street, I failed to look over my shoulder when switching lanes. (At that moment I realized my mistake and remembered to look over my shoulder the second time. Too late.) My turning skills sucked. Then he asked me the speed limit for a residental school zone. It was 40 km/h. I said it was 50 km/h. Doh. After doing a three-point-turn and returning back to the test centre, I stopped at a stop sign. A pack of kids were crossing the road. Once the last kid was halfway through the road, I let go of the brake to take a quick peek to my left (there were bushes obstructing my view), but the examiner jammed the brakes, asking why TF I was proceeding when there were still pedestrians crossing. That was pretty much my death bell for that test. I finished that test by pulling straight into the parking lot, which according to everyone, if the examiner makes you go straight into a parking space instead of backing up, 95% of the time you have failed the test. This was back in late March of this year.

Two weeks later, I passed on my second attempt. I did make one mistake, a somewhat common mistake shared by many nervous test takers - forgetting to release the emergency brake. :pinch:

I'm really surprised about how much of the test isn't down to skill at all, it's down to luck... luck that don't get a crap examiner, luck that you get good road conditions, luck that you don't get alot of tough situations, luck you don't come across idiot drivers etc.

Yeah don't worry about it man, I failed 2x on my test, but I had a real ######, then the time I passed was the worst of the three. Some of it is just chance, so don't be too hard on yourself. You will pass eventually, although it feels like a huge monkey on your back.

My biggest tip is to talk to the instructor and gain a relationship with him/her. When a person has gained a relationship with you they will be much more likely to let a few little things go than if you just sit there silent and nervous the whole time. On my 3rd test I forced myself to talk as much as I could, talked about the instructors kids, hobbies, etc. Talk about sports, your likes and dislikes anything that you can think of. Just don't talk during intersections though, they don't like that.

Other than that, just try to be confident and say to yourself, this time I WILL pass.

What does the driving test in UK consist of? I'd have to say the license test in the US is quite a joke...if you don't pass it, you should be deemed mentally retarded.

Passing the driving test in the states is simple, I have a few friends that have passed it and you have to suck to not pass. In Canada and UK it's quite difficult.

In Canada and UK it's quite difficult.

I'm not sure what the US pass rate is, but here in the UK it's 35-45% (depending on your location).

4 minors isnt too bad my sister had more than that and still passed (then again she had 3 fails before hand :p)

Better luck next time mate :)

I just failed my g2 road test today too, and I'm rather ****ed off at myself.

The reason I failed is I went straight through an intersection from the right turn lane.. It was one of those places where the right lane becomes right-turn only, so I failed.

I had some minors too.. forgot which way to turn the wheels when parking on a grade without a curb, pulled up too close beside the vehicle I was about to parallel park behind, and driving too slow for conditions. I think that one is stupid because doing 40km instead of 50km in a residential neighborhood shouldn't be bad, I guess I was overly cautious.

The instructor even said to me that it was clear I can drive well, I just didn't see the signs/road markings.

IMO the UK driving test is a peice of cake, I passed both theory and practical first time. But then again, IMO, it is more of a driving routine than a test, its all sort of routine like. You don't start learning to drive until you've passed your test.

I just failed my g2 road test today too, and I'm rather ****ed off at myself.

The reason I failed is I went straight through an intersection from the right turn lane.. It was one of those places where the right lane becomes right-turn only, so I failed.

I had some minors too.. forgot which way to turn the wheels when parking on a grade without a curb, pulled up too close beside the vehicle I was about to parallel park behind, and driving too slow for conditions. I think that one is stupid because doing 40km instead of 50km in a residential neighborhood shouldn't be bad, I guess I was overly cautious.

The instructor even said to me that it was clear I can drive well, I just didn't see the signs/road markings.

10 km under the speed limit is just as bad as 10 km over. Once you start driving slow, you also become a dangerous driver. If there are people going the speed limit and you are going 10 under they will be forced to brake and you create traffic congestion.

I passed first time, but I did get 11 minors! 10 Driving faluts and I got one of the questions wrong. To be honest I thought I had failed when sitting in the car waiting for the result. I was well pleased when he said I passed, it does help if you chat to your instructor, I was making jokes with him etc, also calms you down.

I was gutted about my 10 driving faluts though, but they were not serious ones, I think I got 1 for going too slow, another for failing to check the center mirror while breaking etc, so I'm not too fussed. I was lucky also, my Examiner took me on a road that went on for ages, not a single car on it, 30MPH speed limit. Took a good 15minutes of just driving, so it all comes down to the day really.

I failed (in the US) twice before passing. The first time I had 31 points off (max of 25 before failing) and he told me my main problem was that I was driving too slowly. That wouldn't have been so bad had he not tried to explain it by saying that if I'm driving 5mph under, that means the guy behind me is driving 10mph under. I pretty much interpreted that as "I'm failing you because I don't like you and I'm full of ****." Second time I tried at a different place. The instructer didn't seem to be having a good day. Needless to say I failed with 33 points. Third time, tried at the original place I tried the first time and pass with only 6 points off. To this day I'm still not sure what I did different.

-Spenser

I failed my first one. The woman giving it was making me a nervous wreck, and I hadn't been driving very long either. I was doing fine though, until I ran the red light. :laugh:

At least you learned from your mistakes. I didn't fail my driving test, but I did make one silly mistake. My mother called me on my cell phone as soon as I parked downhill. In my haste to answer the phone, I forgot to turn the wheels toward the curb. Other than that I passed. :)

I almost failed mine (US). Got 100% on the written, did 99% on the driving... but I had trouble parallel parking (the idiot I was with made me do it on a busy road). Would have failed if I didn't do it, though.

When my friend tried his first test here in the UK he failed in the first ten seconds. The instructor told him to exit the carpark and turn left, which he did, straight into the path of an HGV that had to lock its breaks to avoid hitting him. He had to continue with the rest of the test tho fully knowing he was going to fail anyway :)

nega, don't sweat it. i failed my first one as well (Illinois) and so it's really not a big deal. Just take it as it comes and remember a few things:

-you'll pass eventually

-it isn't all you, it's true the system is geared towards regulating the addition of new motorists + wants to make more moola

-you are a gamer. remember your years of training, advanced spatial awareness skills and reflex attunement. the dialectic is on your side borther!

stick with these and you'll prevail to join the fraternity of drivers. hurry up tho, if the eco-fanatics get their way the pleasure of driving a car may not be with us for much longer!

Looks like a handful of you guys had morons as examiners.

I must be an idiot for screwing up with an examiner who was pretty nice. The one that passed me was also nice as well.

it's good to have the experience at least. you will remember little things that you did wrong in the failed test and it will make you more aware of it. i failed my test my first try and just made sure i was aware of all the little things i did wrong when i went back for it.