Linux, Mozilla (and other browsers) and Webpages

Why do wepages always look crap in Mozilla and other browsers under linux. i.e. neowin.net

fonts are very small, some images are out of place and others not displayed???

See screen shot for example

post-30-1040483957.jpg

Yeah. Just grab the fonts from the Windows partition if you have it. Once installed, the web pages should look exactly the same as their Windows counterparts. This applies for Mozilla 1.2 Alpha and above.

Yeah. Just grab the fonts from the Windows partition if you have it. Once installed, the web pages should look exactly the same as their Windows counterparts. This applies for Mozilla 1.2 Alpha and above.

Hi, do you mean copy the fonts from c:\windows\fonts to linux? if so were do I put them on my linux drive?

Thanks

Hi, do you mean copy the fonts from c:\windows\fonts to linux? if so were do I put them on my linux drive?

Thanks

Open KDE control center>Advanced>Font Installer

Just use it to install your ttf fonts its effortless.

Thanks

Open KDE control center>Advanced>Font Installer

Just use it to install your ttf fonts its effortless.

I can't find an Advanced option in my KDE control centre. I'm using RedHat 8 and KDE 3. Do I have to be root or something?

is there a way to just point to all the fonts in the windows directory instead of copying all of them to the linux drive?

e.g: I have my fonts in /mnt/c/windows/Fonts, and I'd love to find a way to just point to that folder and get them working in linux.

is there a way to just point to all the fonts in the windows directory instead of copying all of them to the linux drive?

e.g: I have my fonts in /mnt/c/windows/Fonts, and I'd love to find a way to just point to that folder and get them working in linux.

Well, have you tried it yet? It won't hurt to add a line in the XF86Config(-4) and see what happen.

Use this if you have an rpm distro:

Try using this package, make sure you build it like this:

download this package and install it.

download this

open the file in a text editor and change:

%define has_windows_license "no"

to

%define has_windows_license "yes"

then follow from step 7 from

here

It will have all the fonts you need to display the pages correctly :)

I can't find an Advanced option in my KDE control centre. I'm using RedHat 8 and KDE 3. Do I have to be root or something?

I'm not sure if its called 'advanced' its the last one on the tree view on the left. :D

I'm not sure if its called 'advanced' its the last one on the tree view on the left. :D

Edited to avoid spamming.

Edited by -]}LHXP{[-

Actually, it's little old.. In RedHat 8, all you have to do are put the new fonts in the ~/.fonts, that's it!

Does that means /usr/share/fonts, /etc/fonts or should I create /root/.fonts ? (I'm using rh8 as root)

It's your choice. Check in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and you will see the list of path. ~/.fonts are much easier thought.

Or if you wereto use soem Red Hat font utility to import Windows fonts, don't import like 500 of them at once! It will seriously crash your Red Hat. The same happened to me in Mandrake.

Well, have you tried it yet? It won't hurt to add a line in the XF86Config(-4) and see what happen.

I have no clue what you mean man...

Add "/mnt/blah/to/the/windows/fonts" in the XF86Config(-4) if you already have the automatic mount the Windows. I don't know if it will work, so I said that it won't hurt to try it. If you have RedHat 8 or Xft2/Fontconfig installed, then edit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf too.

Add "/mnt/blah/to/the/windows/fonts" in the XF86Config(-4) if you already have the automatic mount the Windows. I don't know if it will work, so I said that it won't hurt to try it. If you have RedHat 8 or Xft2/Fontconfig installed, then edit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf too.

That won't work, mezz! I tried that in Mandrake 9.0 and no extra fonts were added.