Even Kernel Panics are Funky!

Got my first one in ages connecting via SMB to my XP shares (Excuse all irony) but after witnessing many BSOD's of late on my PeeCee, it was nice to see that the kernel panic gave a more welcoming approach.. the screen fades a little then you get a pleasant box with "please press reset" etc. Nice Touch!

Am i right in thinking, it had changed since 10.1 to 10.2 ? . i remember having one before, but i am certain it was different, maybe it was on 10.0.x then?!

Neyo

That is correct, Apple changed the kernel panic (or added to in) in 10.2. 10.2 is the first time that you get the fun little screen. I agree it's a nice touch, but it's nicer when it does not panic at all (not that I'm complaining, I have never had a panic on my machine, but I have on our test machine.)

Anyhow, just goes to show how Apple likes to take care of every aspect of the OS, even when it fails.

Tim, all ye need to do is find someone who has a Matrox RT MAc card without the firmware upgrade. Boot into 10.2 and wait aout 20 seconds. WHAM, kernel panic every time.

Now the tricky part is finding that RT Mac card :)

after only a few days after i got my mac, i got a kernel panic, but it sure beats getting dozens of bsods one after another, and a kernel panic would be less stressful (for me) than getting a bsod, although i wouldnt like to get a kernel panic right in the middle of doing some typing

Best I've managed to do is, when running loads of programs on my 128mb imac, (i still can't grasp when you click the red cross it does not close the program down thing)

Is run Otto Matic, it just hangs on the menu screen and theres nothing you can do except reboot.

Chris,

When I switched to Mac closing programs was my one hangup. I was so stuck in the Windows way of doing it that it took me a couple months to get used to it.

Now that I understand how and why Apple did it that way, it makes me wonder why MS didn't do it that way too. It comes in VERY handy when a series of unrequested web pop-ups start, just CMD-Q and they all go away! Also helps with having more than one document open and not having to spawn a whole new version of the application just to view two different docs. That being said, MS fixed a lot of this when NT was released, but I think I personally prefer Apple's way.

My only issue is conforming to that. Windows Media Player for OS X will close the App if you 'X' out. Bugs the heck out of me. Do it one way or the other, but don't allow both. BAH!

-SD

My only issue is conforming to that. Windows Media Player for OS X will close the App if you 'X' out. Bugs the heck out of me. Do it one way or the other, but don't allow both. BAH!

-SD

Yea, Address book and iCal are also a pain for doing that! ...there must be reasons for it, jus not worked 'em out yet!?