iPhone News ...

Source Courtesy of Fryke's ... http://mac.fryke.com/ ... i check the site quite often, is a good rumour / news site!

You've probably seen Steve Jobs at the MWNY02 keynote showing off the SonyEricsson T68i with iSync & Address Book doing all the fancy stuff, like receiving a call and having a window pop up on the Mac which lets you manage the call. That's nice, but Address Book is an application that is meant to be run in the background (if you're not actually editing its entries). Just like your Address Book's database gets updated by adding a contact in iChat or Mail, iPhone is going to be a front end to your Bluetooth enabled phone.

The goal is easy: Leave your phone in the bag or pocket (with BT turned on) and use your Mac and a BT headset to do your phone calls as well as the messaging. While you can do this right now with Address Book, the integration into Mac OS X isn't as great as it could be. iPhone will bring your phone to your Mac, it'll bring its functionality to Mail and iChat.

While MWSF03 will bring a load of Bluetooth news (hardware upgrades, software upgrades), iPhone is believed to make its entrance along with Panther (Mac OS X 10.3) in its Summer 2003 release.

t68i.gif

NeYo

interesting, considering i have a T68i :D ... altho i think i am looking @ P800 in the new Year :D ... the concept is exactly what i invisiged bluetooth could do, control the fone, from the mac ... AWESOME! :)

im pretty sure something like this will happen at mwsf, i remember hearing something back in nov bout built in bluetooth support

i'll be stuck in class when the keynote goes on :(

Just download it. It'll be all over the net. Probably on techtv too :)

The problem is that you can not use a T68i and a bluetooth headset with address book on. You can use the phone and the address book OR the phone and the headset, but not all three together.

Maybe iPhone software fixes that. I too want a Sony Ericsson P800, so here's hoping that Apple fixes some of these issues. I like my T68i, but I really want a PDA built in too! Guess we are just too bleeding edge right now.

The problem is that you can not use a T68i and a bluetooth headset with address book on. You can use the phone and the address book OR the phone and the headset, but not all three together.

Maybe iPhone software fixes that. I too want a Sony Ericsson P800, so here's hoping that Apple fixes some of these issues. I like my T68i, but I really want a PDA built in too! Guess we are just too bleeding edge right now.

Yeah that's the biggest problem with bluetooth. You can only connect to one device at a time. Apparently future implementations will allow for many connections at the same time. THAT's when you can leave the phone in your bag and see the caller id through the mac and talk with the earpeace

So is that pic supposed to be the iphone? Because it looks exactly like my T68i. :)

The problem is that you can not use a T68i and a bluetooth headset with address book on.  You can use the phone and the address book OR the phone and the headset, but not all three together.

Maybe iPhone software fixes that.  I too want a Sony Ericsson P800, so here's hoping that Apple fixes some of these issues.  I like my T68i, but I really want a PDA built in too!  Guess we are just too bleeding edge right now.

Yeah that's the biggest problem with bluetooth. You can only connect to one device at a time. Apparently future implementations will allow for many connections at the same time. THAT's when you can leave the phone in your bag and see the caller id through the mac and talk with the earpeace

So is that pic supposed to be the iphone? Because it looks exactly like my T68i. :)

Hey, Superfula ... Man, thats a T68! ... i had the fone. kinda prefer the colours to the T68i i got now ... isn't you're T68i white and blue?! ...there's no change, other than the case ;)

...And yea, "what frod said" ;)

Neyo

My flatmate had a T68 that had been flashed with th T68i firmware by the shop she got it from. It kept crashing tho so eventually they gave her a real T68i. personally im trading in my Sony j5 for a Nokia 7210 soon. They are too sweet :D

--WeeJames :alien:

what would everyone like to see if apple does release an iphone? i would like to see it to have a handheld version of osx (OSX for iPhone) since the newton was the best pda back in the day. it should also have rendezvous/bluetooth support, and isync support of course

Hey, Superfula ... Man, thats a T68! ... i had the fone. kinda prefer the colours to the T68i i got now ... isn't you're T68i white and blue?! ...there's no change, other than the case ;)

Neyo

actually that's a T68i, the T68 or T68m as they call it now, doesn't have the little rectangular thing for the earpiece. they have a lot of different colors for the t68i now that they just don't place on the website

at&t has an exclusive dark blue color, then there's the artic blue the first color, and a grey color. and a darker grey i believe.

Neyo

actually that's a T68i, the T68 or T68m as they call it now, doesn't have the little rectangular thing for the earpiece. they have a lot of different colors for the t68i now that they just don't place on the website

at&t has an exclusive dark blue color, then there's the artic blue the first color, and a grey color. and a darker grey i believe.

I guess its different across the Continents, my T68 was like that. I've seen updated firmware T68's that look like that running T68i Soft, but all the T68i's in the shops have been the typical white and blue. i am sure in US and Stuff, things are different! ... Jus like Driving on the wrong side of the road te hehehe!

< hides >

Neyo

GPD_2554_1500_0_1016.jpg

^ T68, notice the three almost vertical openings for the speaker, whereas the t68i has the rectangle thing.

other than that, the only real difference is the little indentation of the ear area and they changed the led color from amber to blue.

Neyo

I guess its different across the Continents, my T68 was like that. I've seen updated firmware T68's that look like that running T68i Soft, but all the T68i's in the shops have been the typical white and blue. i am sure in US and Stuff, things are different! ... Jus like Driving on the wrong side of the road te hehehe!

< hides >

Neyo

IIRC, the T68 came in the two tone dark grey and the nasty gold colors. I THINK all the T68's had the earpiece like that, with the 3 slashes. The T68i comes in the light grey, the ATT special (which looks the best imo) and the light blue colors. And then only the T68i has the square-like earpiece.

I have a T68 two tone dark grey updated to the T68i firmware. No troubles yet. Mine also has the blue led and not the amber one.

I would LOVE to find an ATT faceplate for my phone though. If anyone knows where I could buy one, let me know!