Thinking of a macintosh

I've been a pc user most of my life. I think its time for a switch, or at least an addition. Im not a complete n00b when it comes to macs, i know a great deal about the OS, specifically OS9 and up, but as for the computers themselves, im not sure. I prefer a laptop, and the powerbooks look amazing, but the price doesnt. Should i buy the iBook, or jump the gun and get the Powerbook. Just looking for someone's opinion.

What i mainly do:

Listen to MP3's

Heavy photoshop work for web sites

Web Site Authoring

Internet Browsing

and thats pretty much it, cept for games, but i still have a pc for that.

u could go for a used powerbook, theyre an AWESOME fast machine, since your really into photoshop, u could try getting a used powerbook (look around on mac sites such as macnn, spymac, etc if they have a buy/sell/trade section in the forums), a brand new powerbook would be even better, but theyre just way too expensive, if u cant find a good deal on a G4 PowerBook, sounds like u would probably be stuck with getting an 800Mhz PowerBook (new), which is quite a bit of money

good luck :)

Yeah. I'm with Silvorgold. You should get a PowerBook. They are good for almost anything, but if you don't like the price then an iBook can get the job done until you get enough money for a PowerBook.

I like iBooks because they are cute and cuddly (Uh....maybe not), but they are cool looking and at the best price. Only $1,000 for the lowest priced iBook. Add some ram to it for $40.00 and you're on your way to Photoshop mania!

I can't wait till I see a Mac sitting in my bedroom. That will be the day that I'll be the happiest :D .

Also they added a nice video card to the iBooks, too. So if you want to play a game sometime you could use your iBook.

ibook is a great machine, but its stuck at 1024x768, and the only way u can get higher is if u use the ibook spanning hack, then u could use an external vga monitor for photoshop work, for really intense graphics (and lots of it too), powerbook would be best, but if u just want to do 'not so intense' graphics (on photoshop), then ibook would be good, it mainly depends if u want a larger screen laptop with higher res, and better processor and such, the ibook is an awesome compact machine

if you're a student you can take advantage of the student developer deal. you pay $99 to sign up for one year and get a once in a lifetime hardware discount. my 1GHz powerbook with superdrive and 1 gig of ram came out to $2563 or so after tax. so all in all if you take my discount and subtract the $99 from it, i saved about $700.

if you're not a student then :(. heh, used powerbooks are still pretty expensive from my experience. may want to try a refurbished one as they are cheaper and still carry a warranty.