Apple's "New" GUI

Apple's "New" GUI  

725 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay?

• Kicks Ass!
    • Meh, Who Cares?
    • Utter Piece of Garbage

What are your thoughts on it?

Personally I hate it, I never liked the iTunes look especially with the metal buttons and I really dislike that crappy white menubar. I for one will be skinning this asap when I get my hands on it. I'm hoping that this isn't the final GUI and they kept it hidden to prevent people like me from ripping it into a theme. The only thing Apple said was Leopard would have a consistent GUI, they never said "this is the new GUI" I think I'm clinging to rope which is tied to nothing but ah well. Something about the new dock annoys me, I think their current icons don't fit and look odd. Ah well.

Anyways what do you guys think?

Below is a picture of the new interface, don't ask me why some parts are dark unified, I dunno but from what Apples official site shows thats the whole look now.

desktop_gallery_hero20070611-full.png

Edited by Chad

After watching the demos of it in action, I love it.

What exactly is so good about it? I dunno feels like the same thing as Tiger just a very minor change.

It looks cool to me, really. The transparent menu bar is probably a reverse stab toward Vista. Oh, don't tell anyone I said that.

I like the old dock as well. I see what this one is supposed to be now. It's a flat reflective surface. Well, that's pretty cool, I guess.

I'd like to take it for a spin.

I also love things like Cover Flow, or at least the version on the iPhone. I think they should do more things like that in the OS X interface.

Edit: Oh! That IS what's in that picture right there. Tee hee. I like it! It's basically cover flow in a documents folder. Very cool!

I like the Finder - I think the iTunes-like interface makes sense and fits it well. I'm iffy on the menubar - I have to use it to see how it works with other wallpapers. As for everything else, I like it - they're all welcome improvements :)

Edit: Also, I love the new dock. It's like your being presented with these apps and docs on a table. Cool beans.

Edit 2: Those are some huge shadows on those windows! I like it :D

I actually like it a lot. I have a few things though:

? The Menubar looks a bit too flat and the solid blue selected/pressed state doesn't look all that nice to be honest;

? What are those Aqua elements still doing there? Either get rid of them throughout the OS or restore them to iTunes again;

? The Mail and iChat Dock badges should have matched the iPhone ones. It would have looked better on the OS.

I love it all. I've been using Uno on Tiger and this pretty much makes it standard. The menu bar might take some getting used to. The Dock is absolutely beautiful now. I would suggest checking out the demo video of the desktop as it has a bit of an explanation on the Dock.

(Y) from me.

What exactly is so good about it? I dunno feels like the same thing as Tiger just a very minor change.

It just flows real well from what I've seen from the stacks to the new finder. As they said, "From the menu bar to the stunning new Dock, the Leopard desktop isn?t just about design. It?s about enjoying the time you spend on your computer and getting more out of it.".

Stacks seem to be incredibly more useful along with Spaces and Quick Look. It seems that Apple has spent more time increasing productivity and usability out of their (Y) (Y)

I remember "Stacks" making it first appearance in a leaked Mac OS X Panther alpha, it was called "Piles" back then. By the time the OS went Developer Preview Apple removed it. So apparently it took them over four years to perfect it.

Except for some tweaks here and there I don't see Apple change the UI, so don't get your hopes up.

Notice btw how all the Dock icons have matching shadows behind them. Nice subtle detail.

It's a step forward - but to be honest I would expect better from Apple.

I have to say the dock is cool, really well done. The menu bar, and I am sorry Apple, has Vista written all over it. The window designs are nice becuase they have been unified (and it was really needed), but are essentially the same but different.

To be honest I don't think it has the same coherent look that an Apple design should have, and it seems they have done a bit of a Microsoft on it, whereby it all is just the same but different...

I guess with my main problem is Microsoft released Aero and made it a major new feature. Apple has always considered itself the king of the user interface. I was expecting something like the iPhone interface, black glass, glossy and some other lighter blue elements. This iTunes like interface seems like it was a rush job and they didn't even care or put energy into it.

I also really dislike white menubar with the black icons. I guess I'll be needing to skin this on day one.

I also wonder why they never mentioned the whole resolution independent GUI, curious why.

If they are previewing it on Apple.com I think you can safely say that the GUI has been finalized. They are touting the transparent menu bar and dock and everything else demoed as features. They also made note that Finder looks like iTunes now. So, iTune GUI = Leopard GUI.

I really like the new look.

The Dock actually has a floor now, finally. It's reflective too! :woot:

I'm really looking forward to using Stacks.

The only thing I don't like is the semi-transparent menu bar, but I'm sure someone will come up with a way to make it solid again.

The shadows look like they got further away, a more 3D look for loss of words, unless it was always like that. I like the shadows but not the transparent new menu bar (too out-of-place/vista-esque)

Personally, I don't like the 3D kind of background on the dock with 2D kind of icons. But at least, the reflection look nice.

I like "taskbar" or whatever what it's called in Mac.

Leopard will look certainly nice. Shame that Mac isn't for me :(

If they are previewing it on Apple.com I think you can safely say that the GUI has been finalized.

Until a few hours ago they previewed Mac OS X Leopard with exactly the same UI as Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger carries...

i like it although its not brand new you know,

i like they kept Aqua.

What I don't like is, that there ain't any rounded menu bar corners any more... (top left, top right)

i don't like my Mac desktop to be angularly

Glassed Silver:mac

random thoughts

- the menubar transparency isn't that nice

- the new dock is good somehow reminds me of Sun's project Looking Glass

- still can't resize windows from every side

- the window frames look unified but old compared to vista or compiz/beryl

- still don't think skewed text in time machine bottom bar is such a good idea (we don't see skewed icons in the dock, do we?)

- would be nice to be able to have different backgrouds for each space if you want

- todo and notes belong in iCal not .mail or so I think

If they are previewing it on Apple.com I think you can safely say that the GUI has been finalized. They are touting the transparent menu bar and dock and everything else demoed as features. They also made note that Finder looks like iTunes now. So, iTune GUI = Leopard GUI.

Yea I know but they also showed the other GUI after WWDC06. I just don't like seeing Apple just take a step backwards in terms of GUI, at least thats what I think.

I was expecting them to do more effects on the windows (like Vistas transparent blur-thing for example), But when I think of it, maybe it is even better without that. It looks good anyway...

But I don't really know about that menubar transparency. It looks a little to transparent to me, but it may look better when using it than it does on the demos... Remains to be seen...