For God's sake! Fix the Folder View settings bug!

No tweaking programs, a clean install and it does it. On 2 totally different systems too.

Here is my control panel at 9:00 pm:

controlpanel9pmqt0.jpg

Here is my control panel at just after 10 pm:

controlpanel10pmnt6.jpg

I never went back to the control panel in between and the only app I used was Firefox. Apps that I have running in the back ground are Newsleacher, Utorrent, MSN Live Messenger, Folding@Home, BW Meter, NOD32 and Skype. I like the list view but it never seams to stick. Especially in my control panel. That one is the worst for me.

@ tao muon: "And you're still complaining?"

Sure, you would too if you paid for a OS and it cant do the most simplest things.

Note: I been a win user since win98. :rolleyes:

Edited by BriFi

The irony of this situation is that it was an identical XP bug a couple years back. Nice to see MS learns from their mistakes. Sigh.

And yes, I see this bug in Vista multiple times per day...

Anyone tried this? Works fine for me:

http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/kmkenney/...-discovery.aspx

The irony of this situation is that it was an identical XP bug a couple years back. Nice to see MS learns from their mistakes. Sigh.

And yes, I see this bug in Vista multiple times per day...

I've been using XP since 2001 and I've never heard of simular problems with XP. It's not directly a bug, it's a feature.

Edited by [X]-bYtE

And why is the columns in details view very, very small. I have to keep right-clicking on the tiitle head and click "Size all culumns to all" on every folder. How do I make it the default.

Thumbs up from me - Microsoft should allow us to select "Size all Columns to Fit" as the default option for details view.

I'm fracking sick of having to make two extra clicks on my folders when I set them to the details view.

I've been using XP since 2001 and I've never heard of simular problems with XP. It's not directly a bug, it's a feature.

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a shot when I get home from work tonight. ;)

I've found that the bug is semi-reproducible if you change the view of a folder and close explorer using the X in the top right; however, if you make the change and close explorer by going to file->close, the change sticks...

As re: WU/etc: read this and this IN FULL. Then start a new topic if you care to discuss that subject further.

As regards the bug in question, to quote Avery from the second article, "finding a solid reproduction case greatly increases the chances of a bug getting fixed".

So: does resetting the Bags / using the utility mentioned previously fix the issue? If we can't figure out what's clearly causing it, knowin how to get back to a good state can also be very illuminative.

Respectfully to all concerned, you've got two MS guys here who are interested in finding out more about this issue. It is in everyone's best interest for you to not post offtopic at all until the bug is identified. Until that point you're only sabotaging efforts to actually look into this. Thanks!

From my obserations, folders seems to misbehave when or after I browse to them via program Open or Save As dialog boxes. Any program, whether Photoshop or MSPAINT or MS Excel. Yes, I had to delete those bags keys from the registry to reset these folders to default like it really worked perfectly in XP.

Have a look at this screenshot, this is a Save As dialog box with my Personal folder open in MS Paint and a Explorer Window of the same window. Notice how different the icons are. In MS Paint it's Tiles but in the Explorer window: Thumbnails. This is not the only folder that does this. Even ones in the C:\Windows folder.

post-30282-1182485611_thumb.jpg

Edited by ozgeek

If you've been using XP since 2001, then you most certainly have been around since the bug.

Windows XP (gold release and SP1) only saved 400 folder views, and then would "forget" views after that. You could set all folders to display with the "Details" view, and suddenly open a folder and get the "Tiles" view. this is a bug that is documented at Microsoft. so its not something only crazy people noticed.

issue: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813711

in 2004, with Service Pack 2, Microsoft changed the folder view setting to save 5,000 views instead of 400 views.

So, it took Microsoft 3 years to fix the view issue with Windows XP. It was a simple fix to change the setting manually yourself via the registry.

I have a tweaker program on my site that I used pre-SP2 to fix the folder issue with XP.

the tweaker program has been updated to reflect the SP2 change, and allow for an even higher folder-saving amount - plus I have a Vista version of the tweaker program that attempts to correct some of its folder-saving issues.

my tweaker(s) are here:

http://xenomorph.net/xdntweaker/

i originally had one that worked in 2k/xp/2k3/vista, but because many "tweaks" only work in certain OSes, i've split the program. now there is an XP/2k3 version, and a Vista version.

Well.. I don't see that as a bug at all. It's just a limitation. I've been doing support for XP for ? long time and this rarely/never appears. So I understand that it took so long time to get fixed.

Nope doesnt happen to me either...and im on XP.

BUT its nLited and theres a tweak to set the default view of your folders so... :D

• 2 weeks later...
From my obserations, folders seems to misbehave when or after I browse to them via program Open or Save As dialog boxes. Any program, whether Photoshop or MSPAINT or MS Excel. Yes, I had to delete those bags keys from the registry to reset these folders to default like it really worked perfectly in XP.

Have a look at this screenshot, this is a Save As dialog box with my Personal folder open in MS Paint and a Explorer Window of the same window. Notice how different the icons are. In MS Paint it's Tiles but in the Explorer window: Thumbnails. This is not the only folder that does this. Even ones in the C:\Windows folder.

Confirmed.

To reproduce, set the folders to large icons. ??Open MS paint, click save as, select the home folder then close the window. ?Click computer, then the home folder again and you should have 2 explorer windows of the same folder with different views.

I'm not sure what you people are talking about but you do know about Customize This Folder option right? Well they changed it in Vista. By default, Vista is trying to recognize contents of the folder and give you the appropriate view of it. Now, this might or might not work as intended in some case, but if you right click on a folder and you pick Customize This Folder you will get a window like this:

AllItems0.jpg

AllItems1.jpg

AllItems2.jpg

AllItems3.jpg

So here's what you do, you set the Folder Type to All Files setting and Apply that Template to all subfolders. This will overwrite the active default arrangement. Then when you go into your folder, you can set whatever you want and it will stay that way. There's no bug there, if I understood the problem correctly.

Cheers.

I'm not sure what you people are talking about but you do know about Customize This Folder option right? Well they changed it in Vista. By default, Vista is trying to recognize contents of the folder and give you the appropriate view of it. Now, this might or might not work as intended in some case, but if you right click on a folder and you pick Customize This Folder you will get a window like this:

AllItems0.jpg

AllItems1.jpg

AllItems2.jpg

AllItems3.jpg

So here's what you do, you set the Folder Type to All Files setting and Apply that Template to all subfolders. This will overwrite the active default arrangement. Then when you go into your folder, you can set whatever you want and it will stay that way. There's no bug there, if I understood the problem correctly.

Cheers.

Well the issue is that that ICON VIEW settings (large,small, list, etc) is being reset when opened in a save-as dialog.

Been haveing this problem with ALL versions of windows till now. Vista is probably the least worst, but i have seen the problem. Seems like this is a very hard bit to program for the sorry MS guys.

Why don't they crack windows explorer and get something else!

This is something that never really bothered me in XP, but in Vista.... :(

Vista for some reason loves the details view and i hate that view!

Hey everyone,

i have this exact same problem.

Another one which I would like fixed is where I have resized my window or whatever, and then closed the folder window. When I open it up again it is the same very small size. i change it back and close it but it is now stuck as coming up quite small and rectangular. Really ticking me off

Medking

Thats my main issue, my number-one issues are window-sizing and file-viewing, both are crappy features, and views aren't even advanced enough, the slider doesn't even move smoothly, everytime I use that slider, it moves just to the main view options, you know when a slider can move smoothly on a bar that can render many views compared to a slider that moves roughly to an exact point on the bar and render less views? Well the folder view slider moves roughly to 7 exact points on the bar, the new folder views have a more detailed smoothed slider while the XP and older folder views move roughly down and up! I hate the stupid details view Vista loves, I want large views of the files!

I agree that this "by design" function is stupid. When I click "apply to all folders", surprisingly enough I do actually mean it.

I was in the folder options and found that like 2 weeks ago when I was trying to customize it, so much for the folder views...

We've heard reports of this, but have never been able to reproduce it internally (either in a test environment, or even just on any of our own daily use machines). It's possible some third-party tools or add-in is messing things up, but it's hard to say for sure without a solid repro case and a debugger.

My god, you on Windows Vista Build 6001?! The build never released! The thing is so meh and annoying!

There are so many bugs with Windows Vista, its unbelievable, I feel bad for the newbies for when they go into Welcome Center on 64 bit and try to register Windows Vista that the webpage won't continue to the next webpage to start the registration and instead it says the page is "Done" with a little orange exclamation mark icon by it in the status bar telling you that the webpage wasn't rendered correctly! Thats another noticable bug!

We've heard reports of this, but have never been able to reproduce it internally (either in a test environment, or even just on any of our own daily use machines). It's possible some third-party tools or add-in is messing things up, but it's hard to say for sure without a solid repro case and a debugger.

you might be the single biggest forum liar i have ever encountered in my many years. the unending stream of outright and transparent lies you produce about how 'your' vista user experience does not include ANY of the bugs or glitches which do exist in the OS fools only the dimmest of noobs... and even then only until they read half a dozen of your posts.

that you persist unceasingly day in and day out staggers the mind. i mean even as an MS employee, why bother?

no response necessary.

The great thing about your concerns is that if they truly are a general Vista problem, any other random user should be able to reproduce them given the steps that it takes you to achieve them. If that other random user cannot reproduce the problem, then that's where we all take a step back and try to further isolate out what's going on.

In this specific case (folder views resetting), it looks like there's cache corruption(?) occuring. (Brandon or others can correct me on any of these points....) That's of course rather difficult to "fix" because your data store is corrupt and probably useless/unloadable. If resetting the cache fixes this, that's interesting. Then the next step is to determine *how* you would reliably corrupt the cache. That can be extremely difficult to pinpoint.

It's all pretty deterministic at the end of the day. It can be frustrating when your pet needs aren't addressed, but there's generally a team of pretty great people working on the issues.

So, if you're:

* Hitting this folder view issue: Somebody should confirm whether resetting the cached settings fixes this - I don't know if I've seen that, and that seems like the $64k question at this point.

* Angry because your need isn't being met: State specifics. General gripes won't get anyone anywhere, even if people want to help you.

* Angry because your need isn't met and You Can Do Better: Microsoft has tons of jobs available in all sorts of fields/specialties. Get a job and make Your Need your pet project, helping out the team you think needs help.

Every system is going to have problems, so the question then becomes: what are the specifics of the concerns, and how can they be addressed or dealt with?

you might be the single biggest forum liar i have ever encountered in my many years. the unending stream of outright and transparent lies you produce about how 'your' vista user experience does not include ANY of the bugs or glitches which do exist in the OS fools only the dimmest of noobs... and even then only until they read half a dozen of your posts.

that you persist unceasingly day in and day out staggers the mind. i mean even as an MS employee, why bother?

no response necessary.

nobody likes responding to noobs. go away