Photo

For God's sake! Fix the Folder View settings bug!

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#31 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:29

If they spent as much time fixing bugs as they did developing the next revision of WGA, we'd be nearly bug free by now :(

#32 +Preppy

Preppy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:30

^-- Meh, totally unrelated tidbits. WGA team != shell team.

Tao's spot on: how do you repro this?

It is true that a user applied custom view should override / turn off the folder view content sniffer, so the question then gets to be: what is awry here and causing the issue?

#33 Altima

Altima

Otaku

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:38

never had this use on any Vista PC

#34 tao muon

tao muon

Yeah I'm argumentative... but only when you won't listen

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:44

And why is the columns in details view very, very small. I have to keep right-clicking on the tiitle head and click "Size all culumns to all" on every folder. How do I make it the default.

Have you ever thought about uploading a screen shot so we know what you're talking about?

#35 OP ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:47

I have not enabled any tweaks except VistaGlazz.

I don't know what is doing this behaviour. When I changed, for example, my downloads folder (not the default download folder but my custom downloads folder on my other drive). When I set it to show details with information about each download. After a while like in the afternoon, the view setting of the download folder has changed to all tiles and tools in the blue toolbar shows tools related to music like Play. There are actually NO music in the folder, only pictures executible files I downloaded from the net. So what I do is I have to change it BACK to my prefered setting but that too won't last longer as it changes to thumbnails with pictures tools. What I would like it to do is LEAVE MY FOLDERS ALONE. It did not have my permission to change anything without my consent.

tao muon, to answer your request, I've created a new folder with some example new files as well as some of my downloads. Look at the columns. That is the DEFAULT widths. The only difference is that I've made the folder window size bigger since it looks small on my 20" widescreen lcd. What I mean is that it's hard to work out what files they are, especaially I have a folder full of PixelPerfect and all files starts with "PixelPerfect".....

Attached Images

• newfolder.jpg

Edited by ozgeek, 20 June 2007 - 02:56.

#36 WooSH

WooSH

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:50

first of all, its God's SAKE. not *STAKE* it would've been funny as hell if you went around the rest of your life saying that and been corrected in person and looked like a fool rather than an online forum.

and back to topic, this DID happen in Windows XP from time to time, however i havent seen this in Vista once (based on 3 months). why? maybe because i have five total folders that i use : Music, Pictures, Documents, Downloads, Videos. done deal, no exceptions. obviosuly the system has its own folders that it creates, but those are the only folders i ever access and every modify. my system stays ultra fast, easy to defragment, backup and clean.

#37 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:55

^-- Meh, totally unrelated tidbits. WGA team != shell team.

Tao's spot on: how do you repro this?

It is true that a user applied custom view should override / turn off the folder view content sniffer, so the question then gets to be: what is awry here and causing the issue?

I was speaking in terms of eagerness/willingness to fix a problem. Glitches like this rarely ever get fixed, but you can bet your tail that there will always be an updated version of WGA.

#38 tao muon

tao muon

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:55

I have not enabled any tweaks except VistaGlazz.

What is that?
What did you have to do to install it?

#39 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:56

It seems to happen to me when i navigate between folders, e.g. i click up a few times to go to the desktop, then use the history to go back to my downloads folder, and the view is reset.

I normally have it on tiles, grouped, sorted by modification date, sometimes it reverts to tiles, ungrouped, sorted by date, sometimes it forgets the tiles all together.

#40 tao muon

tao muon

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:58

I was speaking in terms of eagerness/willingness to fix a problem. Glitches like this rarely ever get fixed, but you can bet your tail that there will always be an updated version of WGA.

Oh, so WGA releases come out more often than vulnerability fixes, shell patches, exploit patches and...?
Whatever. I think Vista has had two WGA 'updates' since RTM. And how many monthly patches, and 'out of band' security fixes?
Yeah, ok.

Edited by tao muon, 20 June 2007 - 02:59.

#41 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:03

We've heard reports of this, but have never been able to reproduce it internally (either in a test environment, or even just on any of our own daily use machines). It's possible some third-party tools or add-in is messing things up, but it's hard to say for sure without a solid repro case and a debugger.

#42 tao muon

tao muon

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:22

We've heard reports of this, but have never been able to reproduce it internally (either in a test environment, or even just on any of our own daily use machines). It's possible some third-party tools or add-in is messing things up, but it's hard to say for sure without a solid repro case and a debugger.

Exactly.
How can you fix a bug if you can't even establish 'one' verifiable circumstance when it happens?
And, for some reason, people won't tell you what's been installed, what registry tweaks, what other things have been done.
But, they still complain about it and expect it to be fixed?

I guess it's true what they say: "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution."

#43 0sit0

0sit0

Live and let live

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:33

happens to me all the timel... i dont get upset though.. i just fix all the folders again :s lol
oh and its not a vista problem only.. happened in XP as well

#44 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:33

Oh, so WGA releases come out more often than vulnerability fixes, shell patches, exploit patches and...?
Whatever. I think Vista has had two WGA 'updates' since RTM. And how many monthly patches, and 'out of band' security fixes?
Yeah, ok.

You're missing my point. Yes, they do fix security vulnerabilities, as well as update WGA, but how often do you ever see a patch on WU that fixes annoying non-security related problems? About the only ones I see are there to fix problems caused by a security patch.

Lets just forget this discussion and get back on topic. Sorry to bring it up.

#45 tao muon

tao muon

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:47

You're missing my point. Yes, they do fix security vulnerabilities, as well as update WGA, but how often do you ever see a patch on WU that fixes annoying non-security related problems? About the only ones I see are there to fix problems caused by a security patch.

Lets just forget this discussion and get back on topic. Sorry to bring it up.

So what do you think is more important- security / vulerability fixes or GUI / 'format my columns and view' patches?
Does that explain why you see more of one and not the other?
Would you rather they fix serious problems first or your GUI problems?
Don't you think rendering issues can wait til the service pack?

Personally, I don't have ANY problems with folders remembering their view state, so this is a non-issue to me. But for those that complain, what is the problem with prioritizing?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!