For God's sake! Fix the Folder View settings bug!

you might be the single biggest forum liar i have ever encountered in my many years. the unending stream of outright and transparent lies you produce about how 'your' vista user experience does not include ANY of the bugs or glitches which do exist in the OS fools only the dimmest of noobs... and even then only until they read half a dozen of your posts.

that you persist unceasingly day in and day out staggers the mind. i mean even as an MS employee, why bother?

no response necessary.

Oh wow. You called a young Microsoft employee a big liar. He may have his reasons. I believe they are looking into this but they will need constructive evidence. I am trying to work out what triggers these "bugs" and yes I will then post here. The "Save As" is one of these I might have discovered.

-bYtE' post='588638878' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:04']

Anyone tried this? Works fine for me:

http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/kmkenney/...-discovery.aspx

Hmm. After entering that registry key, I did lose all my previous folder customizations, BUT for some reason navigating folders is a heck of a lot faster - even matching the speed of XP's Explorer. :blink: Maybe Vista's auto discovery of folders added to the small 2 second delay I used to experience when opening a large folder such as My Documents?

@ozgeek: There is a reason why in Open/Save As dialogs, icons will have tiles but in Explorer they have large icons. It'll be stupid for Vista to display large icons in a puny Open/Save As dialog.

For instance: after applying that patch, I customized a folder to use the Pictures and Videos template. In Explorer, I get large icons. In the Open dialog, I get medium sized icons:

post-99705-1183522453_thumb.png

Edited by rm20010

I get that problem too. I noticed that sometimes two folders view settings are linked together.

For example, I change the sort by and icon size settings of a folder then close the window.

I go back to My computer and all my drives icons are sorted and the size of the previous folder.

I reset the view settings in My computer and go back to the first folder. The settings are now the same as in My computer!

It doesn't happen all the time and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

When I'm getting that problem, I simply merge a reg file that deletes the folder settings cache.

I have repeatedly had this problem on my desktop, but not my laptop. So far as I can tell the differences in configuration are:

1) All my desktop profile folders are redirected to a network share (That includes Local AppData and Roaming AppData)

2) My desktop uses roaming profiles

3) My desktop has UAC disabled (its enabled on my laptop).

4) My desktop runs Vista x64 but I'm pretty sure this is irrelevant.

Both computers have a similar list of installed applications and utilities so I don't think its anything third party.

Nah. No one from MS is reading this thread. Just use an alternate file manager like a43 or xplorer2. They're not perfect but they don't have this problem. This is probably one of those bugs that MS doesn't think is high enough on the priority list to fix (just them programmers or die hard power user will notice; who cares about them?). Either that or their windows explorer code is so bloated it'll take them a considerable amount of time to look into the problem. It doesn't matter in the end though. We the customer, still get screwed (or annoyed to death in this case).

I didn't actually read all of the replies but this has been a problem since XP. Not sure if it's related but XP had a set number of folder settings that it would remember. After you hit that threshold, settings would be lost on random folders. I'm exhibiting the same issues on Vista. With XP, there were registry edits that would fix the problem - not sure if you can do the same with Vista as I haven't really spent the time to investigate

A seriously stupid oversight in Vista. Hopefully SP1 fixes the problem

Anybody in the Seattle area having this problem... ? PM me if so...

you work for MS if i remmember correctly

Since I installed Vista in January,i had this issue 3 times, it can get pretty bad at times.

to get it back to normal i always have to clean these keys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

and reboot

also in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]

changing the "BagMRU Size" from defualt 5,000 to 3,000 did help, this bug hasn't happened in quite a long time.

PM, if you have more questions.

Nah. No one from MS is reading this thread. Just use an alternate file manager like a43 or xplorer2. They're not perfect but they don't have this problem. This is probably one of those bugs that MS doesn't think is high enough on the priority list to fix (just them programmers or die hard power user will notice; who cares about them?). Either that or their windows explorer code is so bloated it'll take them a considerable amount of time to look into the problem. It doesn't matter in the end though. We the customer, still get screwed (or annoyed to death in this case).

Wrong. There are some people that work for MS working out why most of us are having this problem and not them and some of you.

you work for MS if i remmember correctly

Since I installed Vista in January,i had this issue 3 times, it can get pretty bad at times.

to get it back to normal i always have to clean these keys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

and reboot

also in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]

changing the "BagMRU Size" from defualt 5,000 to 3,000 did help, this bug hasn't happened in quite a long time.

PM, if you have more questions.

How does reducing the BagMRU Size fix the issue? If anything I would assume it would make the problem worse.

at least for me, when bagMRU size is smaller, its true that it will remmember only 3000 folders. But at least it will not get confused.

What was happened in my case is few folders had combined settings. When i changed display settings in my computer it also changed display settings on D drive. When i changed display settings back on D, and open my computer again, settings changed again.

reduced MRU helped, because now that doesn't happen.

Ok let's submit the bug to the windows XP Service pack 3 development Team or the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Development Team .

If we are a commited community let's do it,all of us!

• 3 weeks later...

Well my Downloads, Documents, and My Computer's views all seem to be linked. If I change ones view the others change to the same view. Its a consistent problem, happens every time.

I heard you have to go to organize and then properties then customize and pick a different folder type....

I am well aware of that feature. The actual concern here is that Vista fail to remember my personal view settings. I mean it changes some folder view to some other settings without and user doing it or permission.

I don't have this problem on either my XP system or Vista.

Here's what I did.

In XP/Vista I would go into "Folder Options" and click on "View" tab and click Apply to Folders.

What this does is apply whatever settings I have on my CURRENT FOLDER to ALL the folders in XP/Vista.

Make sure that you have "Remember my folder's view settings" checked. Afterwards I would change my folders

according to whatever settings I want and never a problem again.

post-232713-1185515170.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been noticing this more and more as time goes on. For some reason folders are being marked as Audio for no apparent reason, particuarly Program Files (wtf?). Guess I'll just reset everything to default for teh time being... :(