At what age are people fully "grown up"?

184 members have voted

1. 1. At what age are people fully "grown up"? (pick something close)

• Adult at 13
    • Adult at 15
    • Adult at 18
    • Adult at 21
    • Adult at 23
    • Adult at 26
    • Adult at 29
    • Adult at 32
    • Adult at 35
    • other

You are an adult when you have responsibilities. And I don't mean paying your mobile phone bill.

Well everyone has responsibilities. It is when you take responsibility for your actions thats what makes you an adult. What I mean is doing things on your own and not blaming something else when you mess up.

I was an adult at age 19. I moved out on my own had a good job I had my gf and responsibilities that I took care of and never got a credit card.

Edited by Typhon

This defiantly no correct answer here, people are all different and always learning.

@DirtyLarry: What if you get to 40 and realise 30 is nothing... :pinch:

Edited by acies

Good question. It very well may happen.

Today is the one year anniversary of my cousin committing suicide, and I swear, absolutely swear, it feels like just a few months ago.

Perhaps the scariest thing about getting older is how damn fast time flies, so it very well is possible I will wake up one day very soon 40 years old and wonder what happened to being 30.

This is why you always hear older people saying "enjoy it while you can." It may sound cliche, but they are experiencing it themselves. For whatever reason time stands still when you are younger. When you get old it literally just disappears. Is kind of crazy to experience and words do not do the phenomenon justice.

So, with the risk of sounding cliche, enjoy it while you can.

I'd say when you get a full time job, whenever that might be. If you leave school at 16, then start working, that's when you should move out and start a family. If you go to University until you're 24, then you should leave then.

For me never.. My body physically refuses to "grow up".. And Mentally I don't ever want to have kids/family. I'm the last branch on the tree (I'm the leaf, metaphorically speaking).

Living on your own and starting a family are two very different situation... For living own your own i think 21 is a gud age... But the hard part is starting a family... Person should start a family when he thinks he is ready & will be able to provide for it... I will say 26 seems gud. Personally, I wont marry before 28... :|

I think grown up mean you live on your own and completely supports yourself. Not getting an apartment with 4 friends and living together while working a $10 an hour job. I think it means when you work completely full time, and live on your OWN, and depend on absolutely no one else. I dont know of any 18 year olds that can do that.

I think living with a partner is just as hard as living alone. You might not get lonely, but you have to learn to compromise and consider another person in your life. But it's just one step up, I imagine marriage and kids are on a whole separate level.

Making a success of group living is also very different to living alone. It requires maturity and consideration for others.

I was as mature as an adult by the time I was 10 simply because that's how my Dad raised me. I was raised in military family, as I'm a seventh generation soldier, and well maturity was the most important thing to my Dad and because I respected him that's how I began to act.

You can be as mature as you like, but that won't stop you from being naive. I'm not saying you are naive, but most young people are, no matter how mature they try to be. That isn't a criticism of young people either before someone flames me! I just think having your eyes open and thinking for yourself are as important as being mature.

• 9 years later...
On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2007 at 3:52 AM, acies said:

This defiantly no correct answer here, people are all different and always learning.

Much like when you get to 50, you'll realize that 40 is nothing. And looking back 30 was not nothing - I felt extremely old and still see 29 as the end of youth. Maybe a few years earlier.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2007 at 1:04 PM, DirtyLarry said:

Good question. It very well may happen.

Today is the one year anniversary of my cousin committing suicide, and I swear, absolutely swear, it feels like just a few months ago.

Perhaps the scariest thing about getting older is how damn fast time flies, so it very well is possible I will wake up one day very soon 40 years old and wonder what happened to being 30.

This is why you always hear older people saying "enjoy it while you can." It may sound cliche, but they are experiencing it themselves. For whatever reason time stands still when you are younger. When you get old it literally just disappears. Is kind of crazy to experience and words do not do the phenomenon justice.

So, with the risk of sounding cliche, enjoy it while you can.

It's worse being 50. 40 is a baby in comparison and then you get there you'll realize.

• Marshall locked this topic