Street Racing + California Cops =?

STREET RACING BAD!!!!!!!!!! Im totally against it. Guess it comes with age :)

I totally agree with that statement. Stay on the track :)

LOL.. i think those cars were the 60 something cars that were caught a few weeks ago.. i knew sooner or later they would be crushed, i just didn't expect it to be on TV.

also, i thought it was only LA County that crushed your car, i guess not..

Let's stop the "real" crime of speeding while murderers, rapists, child molesters, and drug dealers go about their business.

Seriously, drag racing is illegal, highly dangerous, and does kill hundreds if not thousands of people a year. But cops should focus on the people I listed above. And I am willing to bet that cell phones lead to more deaths per year than street racing. When are we going to crack down on that?! People just don't get that it's the distracted mind that causes accidents, not one occupied hand. Hands-free devices are a band aid to an epidemic.

If it is a weekend race track car then you'd need to own a trailer to get it to the course. You will, obviously, not be allowed to drive there on a public road since souped up cars are not allowed on the public roads.

it does not have to be a full "race car" to be raced on the track. hell we "Raced" our fleet of bone stock neon RT's around the track all day long, does it make them race cars? out here we have SCCA racing, there are classes for bone stock miatas, the only mod they require are safety mods like a role cage. does THAT make it a race car? can the bone stock car i race on the weekend be crushed on a whim?

what mods constitute race mods? anything that adds HP? anything that adds safety? or handling characteristics?

im not debating the right or wrong of street racing im saying its completely bonkers to let a cop make the judgment call on weather or not he feels a car is a race car.

They should do this to people who drive drunk :D

More people are killed from that than street racing.

2001 i think had the highest "illegal street racing" related fatalities in the recent past. it was 135 for the whole year for the whole country. woop de friggin doo. there where 732 Bicycle related fatalities that same year. i dont think my tax dollers should be going to the crushing of related vehicles for something so insignificant.

watching that made me sick. I love rice rockets and almost any car that people put time and money into. I think this will create more pursuits now cause you are risking your car being crushed!

watching that made me sick. I love rice rockets and almost any car that people put time and money into. I think this will create more pursuits now cause you are risking your car being crushed!

which is even more dangerous.

They used to be illegal street racing here in nyc like 8 years ago. When they caught the racers, they revoked there license along with crushing most of the cars. If i remember the article correctly, the drivers are prevented from getting a new license

2001 i think had the highest "illegal street racing" related fatalities in the recent past. it was 135 for the whole year for the whole country. woop de friggin doo. there where 732 Bicycle related fatalities that same year. i dont think my tax dollers should be going to the crushing of related vehicles for something so insignificant.

Tell that to the familes of the 135 people lost thier lives just because some prick wanted to drive fast to try and make up for his tiny?little penis. You want to drive fast? Do it on a closed course or in a video game. I'm all for the cops crushing every one of these modded cars at whim if it will mean less ###### on the road putting innocent people in danger.

dont do the crime....if you are not willing to have it smashed

I wonder if we could have a law this way for rape?

Whatever, whatever.

If you don't like the laws, get your representatives in the government to change it.

*edit: Why come here and complain?

Tell that to the familes of the 135 people lost thier lives just because some prick wanted to drive fast to try and make up for his tiny?little penis. You want to drive fast? Do it on a closed course or in a video game. I'm all for the cops crushing every one of these modded cars at whim if it will mean less ###### on the road putting innocent people in danger.

i think a big point is missed. i agree street racing is a no no. if caught street racing, or charged, then fine, crush the vehicle and take the license

but crushing a vehicle because it is souped up or modified is a bloody joke.

you are saying that every modded car should be crushed? you know, almost any vehicle can be used to perform street racing.

the big problem here (regarding the announcement in ontario) is that theyll go after and crush any modified car without it having been in a street race or any charges being laid

here's a great example.

was it in toronto during 2006? 2 teenagers were racing and the result was a cab driver who was killed? what were the kids driving, souped up cars? no, their parents factory built mercedes.

the logic is totally lost. lets crush all modified souped up powerful cars. then we wont have street racing problems. lets lock up all people of a certain ethnicity, be it african, middle-eastern,etc. it'll prevent crime or terrorism from happening.

a person of any nationality can commit an act of terrorism, or commit a crime. a car of any type, factory, modded, whatever, can be used to illegaly street race and result in accidents and unnecessary deaths.

We did all our racing on the Hutch in the Bronx, the Conduit in Brooklyn and in Queens. We also used to hit Newark NJ but it was very risky out there. You had to worry about getting car jack as well as the police. lol. It was really popular in the early 90's when we did it.

FYI, they still do plenty of it on the Hutch. Just check the underpass by pelham manor ;)

I know they used to do it around flatbush ave in brooklyn and around maspeth ave and some parts of grand st in queens

why not just scrap them and sell the parts and use the parts as revenue for the police?

If you watch the video, they suggest that idea. However based on the reporter, the police wants to be mean and scare off racers to prove that they are just wasting their money

why not just scrap them and sell the parts and use the parts as revenue for the police?

Why not just strip the performance parts from seized vehicles, use the performance parts to supplant police vehicles' performance and sell the stripped vehicles back to the public at auction prices and use the profit to feed and medically treat the illegal immigrants in California?

That is a multipart question, despite not having multiple question marks.

have to love America crippling people because they can for no reason.

Lets just crush the car instead of giving the owner the chance to sell it or the parts to pay the fines. Here they just give you a sticker and warrent you off the road till it's road worthy they don't just go and crush your car so they can eat donuts and laugh at you while the state ruins you. simply this is pathetic. saves nothing or nobody, and love the way how patriotic "fox" news show off this like it's a positive thing.

Edited by Digix

have to love America crippling people because they can for no reason.

Lets just crush the car instead of giving the owner the chance to sell it or the parts to pay the fines. Here they just give you a sticker and warrent you off the road till it's road worthy they don't just go and crush your car so they can eat donuts and laugh at you while the state ruins you. simply this is pathetic. saves nothing or nobody, and love the way how patriotic "fox" news show off this like it's a positive thing.

Thing of it is, if they just let the person scrap the parts and pay the fine, or if they just give you a sticker, the person isn't likely to stop. They'll just save and soup up another car. Now if the owner can't sell the parts because they're crushed, it would seem that they'd be less inclined to put theirselves in a position that might end up with the crushing of their car.

Slapping a person on the wrist, like they apparently do where you live, is what's pathetic.

-Spenser

not really if someone learns from breaking the law again maybe will sort them next time they have a right to do what they want and know the repercussions, not by ruining them with debts and generally their life and pointing them towards prison.

there's more then one way then the conservative preventative approach.

I 100% agree with the actions of the cops in this instance. Street racing is an organised missuse of the PUBLIC roads. I have said it before and I will say it again that I find it HUGELY arrogant of a select few to believe that, just because they rice their cars, they have the right to assume control of public streets. They bring danger to public roads to satisfy their own needs.

Destroy their cars and revoke their licences. That way, if they street race again, they are driving unlicenced and should be put into custody.

If you want to race, keep it on the track, and compete at a level where others can enjoy your sport - if you feel that you are at that level. If not, then get lost!

hes right though... regardless if its smart, knowing that if you get caught your car is ruined (and your broke most likely without a car) is just more incentive to get away from the police.

IMO this is a rash and stupid way to try and crack down on street racing. Why dont the cops DO THEIR JOBS and get out there and physically crack down on it instead of taking the lazy route

not really if someone learns from breaking the law again maybe will sort them next time they have a right to do what they want and know the repercussions, not by ruining them with debts and generally their life and pointing them towards prison.

there's more then one way then the conservative preventative approach.

Although most people who have little to no regard for the law don't learn.

Anyone who insists on driving like an idiot deserves the consequences.

If you want to risk your own life, go ahead. But don't risk the life of pedestrians and other drivers.

Just recently, a truck driver was killed in Toronto in an accident caused by three street racers. Last year, a Toronto-area couple celebrating their 17th wedding anniversary were killed in an accident caused by street racers.

And I was personally t-boned by an idiot who blasted through a red light (he wasn't racing anyone, but he was speeding significantly).

Drunk drivers, red light/stop sign runners and street racers deserve whatever punishment handed to them. Far too many people are injured and killed by people who think public roads are their own private racetrack.