BIOS wants a password i dont have

Question

hello hello =]

I have an Intel Pentium 4 2.8C Socket 478 cpu and an Intel D865GLC motherboard.

I needed to update the BIOS and so downloaded the latest BIOS for this motherboard from the Intel site here. After running the setup utility in windows, it restarted my computer and did 8 beeps, updating the BIOS i presume, and then restarted the computer again. Upon restarting it keeps asking me to "Enter CURRENT password"...

Before the update, i didnt have a BIOS password, and i've tried entering blank passwords and obvious ones but to no avail.

I've tried taking out the CMOS battery for 20mins, and that reset the clock but it still wanted a password when i turned it back on...><

I've tried to look for the reset jumpers on my motherboard, but it appears there are none.

Some help would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment my computer is pretty much useless since i cant get to windows><

Thanx in advance :):)

What are Hemostats?

My friend said i should try using some copper wire, im worried i might short the board or something, but would it work?

It's what doctors use to clamp blood vessels with. But yes copper wire should work as well, or a pair of tweezers, or really any object that has metal tips to complete the circuit.

hello hello =]

I have an Intel Pentium 4 2.8C Socket 478 cpu and an Intel D865GLC motherboard.

I needed to update the BIOS and so downloaded the latest BIOS for this motherboard from the Intel site here. After running the setup utility in windows, it restarted my computer and did 8 beeps, updating the BIOS i presume, and then restarted the computer again. Upon restarting it keeps asking me to "Enter CURRENT password"...

Before the update, i didnt have a BIOS password, and i've tried entering blank passwords and obvious ones but to no avail.

I've tried taking out the CMOS battery for 20mins, and that reset the clock but it still wanted a password when i turned it back on...><

I've tried to look for the reset jumpers on my motherboard, but it appears there are none.

Some help would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment my computer is pretty much useless since i cant get to windows><

Thanx in advance :):)

You?re going to spend several hours if not days in this forum asking for help in unlocking a lock BIOS and you will not get the answer you?re looking for. Call the manufacture of the motherboard and talk to their technical department and they will explain the process. Be prepared to provide them with all the serial numbers and your personal information that they will require. Most BIOS's are locked for a specific purpose. A lot of companies lock the BIOS to either protect their information or protect their hardware if it?s acquired under dubious circumstances.

My Dell Dim 8400 tower have that jumper pin thing for resetting the BIOS password.

I locked the system up myself with the BIOS password, and yes I do know it.

To be a step ahead, I read the manual and learned about the jumper pins. So, yes, I physically bound the computer up with a padlock.

Call me paranoid all you like, but I don't give a f*ck. I don't like intruders of any kind messing around with my computer, period.

Edit: Pic now included.

I realise this is well out of date, but I googled to this thread and so others might do too.

Here's the key: the three dots marked on the motherboard as "CLR CMOS" are - get this - NOT THE JUMPER TO CLEAR THE CMOS! Yes, there's a silk screening error on the motherboard. If you look on the other side of the round black thing next to the thing marked as "CLR CMOS" (about the size of a penny, I guess), you'll find J9J4, which is actually the clear CMOS jumper. It does have pins, but is otherwise completely unmarked. The original poster was absolutely right, and I fell down the same trap of believing the lettering on the motherboard rather than the manual (the manual gives the correct location).

Nice one Intel - grrr!