Mac OS X Software List

Haven't posted here since Jan;

Currently loving Mail.appetizer - A must for all Mail.app users.

Hazel is an excellent utility.

Yes it is!.. Currently using it to automatically sort out my movies, pictures and apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

- AppCleaner is a free alternate to AppZapper, basically when you get rid of application, this make sure you get rid of all the files that are usually left behind.

- Onyx is a pretty good maintenance tool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ask you guys here, I've been searching for some time, can anyone tell me a nice audio player for leopard ? The only players i found are old 10.0.1-looking players.

VLC is ok and itunes too but itunes does not support flac and it's not customizable, and VLC is more of a video player, it's hard to believe that there is no AIMP/Winamp type player for MAC. Thanks

There's actually a lack of really good audio players for OS X, which is pretty interesting.

By the way, you can get FLAC to work in iTunes and QT by installing the Xiph QT Quicktime Components; http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/ - note that I had some trouble with certain Ogg vorbis files with the stable version so I grabbed the experimental one ( http://people.xiph.org/~arek/ ) and it worked fine.

Remember to read the instructions!

• 4 weeks later...

Bah, I'm pretty sure iTunes will see a major rewrite on Sept. 9 and will be version 9. Come on, 09 / 09 / 09, version 9... makes total sense!!! (I've never liked numerology, but this one's really good)

I'm expecting a whole Cocoa interface with many refinements in speed and performance and reliability. On my Mac, when I add a file into it, it takes like 5-10 seconds, gives me a beachball, then the file is added. They can fix that easily with Snow Leopard, VERY easily (even with Leopard I'd say). I'm also expecting a native Windows interface. Well, native... not so-native, but still. More appealing.

--

On another note, I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive. It should be there tomorrow and I'm supposed to have enough time to install it tomorrow after university. I'm also hoping for a Pixelmator 1.5 release tomorrow, which will make my day ! Arg, I'll never get time to play Mirror's Edge, just bought it last week-end, but I'm too freaking busy these days!

Bah, I'm pretty sure iTunes will see a major rewrite on Sept. 9 and will be version 9. Come on, 09 / 09 / 09, version 9... makes total sense!!! (I've never liked numerology, but this one's really good)

I'm expecting a whole Cocoa interface with many refinements in speed and performance and reliability. On my Mac, when I add a file into it, it takes like 5-10 seconds, gives me a beachball, then the file is added. They can fix that easily with Snow Leopard, VERY easily (even with Leopard I'd say). I'm also expecting a native Windows interface. Well, native... not so-native, but still. More appealing.

--

On another note, I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive. It should be there tomorrow and I'm supposed to have enough time to install it tomorrow after university. I'm also hoping for a Pixelmator 1.5 release tomorrow, which will make my day ! Arg, I'll never get time to play Mirror's Edge, just bought it last week-end, but I'm too freaking busy these days!

If those are your expectations then I think your going to be pretty disappointed after the event.

anyone here try ?coute?

awesome itunes alternative front end alternative. If just want to listen to music it's great. If you are trying to organize music then you need to go back to itunes. But it's a great app!

One of my favorite apps, I find myself using it far more than I thought I would.

Have you tired Soundboard from Ambrosia yet?

i've made several soundboards with loud creepy sounds explosions and whatnot, i run a headphonejack splitter from my mac to my 5,000 watt home theatre

guess what i do when i've got unsuspecting guests over? lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Add ConceptDraw Office to Productivity tools. Contains diagramming tool (MS Visio analog), mindmapping tool and project management tool (MS Project like). All apps are cross-platform. Great for project work flow from idea generation to visual reports on project state.

ConceptDraw Office into Productivity Tools. Consists of ConceptDraw MINDMAP (brainstorming and ideas organizing), ConceptDraw PROJECT (project management tool, MS Project analog), ConceptDraw PRO (business diagramming, vector drawing, MS Visio analog on Mac OS X). Btw, all apps are cross-platform, so you can exchange documents with your non-Mac friends and colleagues. ;)

• 2 months later...

Here's a couple of freeware multimedia apps that I noticed were missing from the front page list:

Movist

One of the most promising video players I've seen yet.

XLD

A secure audio ripper similar to Max, but also supports AccurateRip. You could call this the "EAC for OS X"

And another useful app that you hopefully will never need:

Prey

Prey is a lightweight application that will help you track and find your laptop if it ever gets stolen.

Edited by protocol7

• 1 month later...

Wow thanks for doing the 2007 update to this! This is seriously a mac users dream. There are a lot of applications in there that I'm tempted to buy but I'm waiting for OS X 10.5 and for applications to support that before I go buying a bunch of programs. Still plently of free ones for me to check out!

I think it needs a 2010 update :D