Patching faster

Hi.

I tried to patch the Linux kernel, but it's so time-consuming! I had my system on for a few days already and it's still trying to patch the kernel. The reason being is that I have to set the directory of the kernel to /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk every time. Is there a way I can have this set so it uses my kernel directory on the fly? Any help would be appreciated! I know just to type make mrproper afterwards!

Wow, a few days? Is it hanging on something? What did you type so far? Heh, not even a full rebuild of the kernel would take that long. Only about half an hour to an hour or so depending on what you select :blink:

The easiest way to upgrade your kernel is through rpm.

How about you open up grub.conf and change 2.4.19-16mdk to 2.4.19 and change all the corresponding files and directories in /boot and in /usr/src/2.4......

Wow, a few days? Is it hanging on something? What did you type so far? Heh, not even a full rebuild of the kernel would take that long. Only about half an hour to an hour or so depending on what you select :blink:

I tried the full source installation from 2.4.3 to 2.4.18 and that caused many of the devices to not work properly, including my sound and network cards. The video card at the time worked, though.

Wow, a few days?  Is it hanging on something?  What did you type so far?  Heh, not even a full rebuild of the kernel would take that long.  Only about half an hour to an hour or so depending on what you select  :blink:

I tried the full source installation from 2.4.3 to 2.4.18 and that caused many of the devices to not work properly, including my sound and network cards. The video card at the time worked, though.

Did you select the modules for them and modprobe them?

It applies to the modules you selected for support in the kernel. modprobe <modulename> is the correct way to modprobe a module, you find these in the arch directory when you decompress the kernel package.