looking for the linux os or theme used in die hard 4.0

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 haefft

haefft

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:37

hi
just saw live free or die hard today and i really like the look of the os that matt farrell used. on his apple cinema display it looks like he is chatting on some type of irc program which is transparent with an orange strip on the left side. on the far left of his desktop it looks like a system information/monitoring sidebar type program, i remember windows xp had something similar but the name escapes me. i'm looking for a linux os that is black all around and with transparent windows. appreciate the help.

#2 myrhymeandreason

myrhymeandreason

Not quite a Charmeleon

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:45

Usually themes in movies are made up.

#3 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:47

In movies, they often are not actually using a computer - it's pre-rendered graphics on-screen. As such, unless it's a command environment, or a pure Windows environment - it's not actually an OS in use, but just a mock-up.

As such, it's likely not to be a Windows theme.

#4 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 29 July 2007 - 14:05

. i'm looking for a linux os that is black all around and with transparent windows. appreciate the help.

Any Linux distro can be made to look in any way you imagine. From minimal to decked-out (*box to e17 to XFCE to KDE or Gnome with beryl). Then just customize the look from there.

#5 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 July 2007 - 14:16

I was kinda impressed too. Looked pretty cool but i doubt if it was real

#6 OP haefft

haefft

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2007 - 21:48

thanks everyone. i sort of knew it was fake but farrell's desktop looks doable.

#7 MrA

MrA

b47d2b5288e3c77

Posted 02 August 2007 - 17:43

In movies, they often are not actually using a computer - it's pre-rendered graphics on-screen. As such, unless it's a command environment, or a pure Windows environment - it's not actually an OS in use, but just a mock-up.

As such, it's likely not to be a Windows theme.

That's interesting, 'cause I've been watching Heroes and could swear that they were using plain KDE, with no custom theme.

#8 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 02 August 2007 - 19:11

That's interesting, 'cause I've been watching Heroes and could swear that they were using plain KDE, with no custom theme.

I am thinking the same thing... It is easy to apply even a standard theme to an XFCE/KDE/Gnome session and have a techy-looking OS for the camera. Seems like they would have a lot of work to mock-up something and include content from an SSH session, for example. (an SSH session is seen in the Live Free or Die Hard movie being talked about in this thread)

Would need to confirm with people who work the props for shows like 24, Alias or movies like Matrix and Live Free... to be sure. Until then, it is uninformed geeks speculating in a forum.

#9 Fish

Fish

Slamdunk the funk

Posted 02 August 2007 - 21:10

It does happen. Nmap was used in Matrix Reloaded...

http://images.insecu..._inthenews.html

#10 geoken

geoken

Neowinian

Posted 30 August 2007 - 18:14

It does happen. Nmap was used in Matrix Reloaded...

http://images.insecu..._inthenews.html

It's pretty cool how much hidden stuff is in the matrix. Did you notice the password in the second pic? "Z1ON0101"

#11 Bazenga

Bazenga

Neowinian

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:27

i'm looking for a linux os that is black all around and with transparent windows. appreciate the help.

BackTrack2 is what you're looking for. It's a security related distro. After your installation, text mode starts and then you choose between FluxBox and KDE, choose KDE and hold your breath :).