Mandrake 9.0, is it any good?

first of all.. redhat is only 3 cds... you don't need the srpms at all!!

i like mandrake when using the athlon platform but now on Intel linux just seems to be more compatible with Red Hat. I had some major issues with nvidia drivers and Red Hat on the athlon platform so I used Mandrake and I liked Mandrake (the fact that its installed with a NTFS supported kernel is a major plus) and with Mandrake installing the latest kernel isn't a major issue either.

So yes if you don't want to try Red Hat, give Mandrake a try... it's always worth it but once your used to Red Hat's Blue curve theme... you don't want anything else :)

It's good. I give it about a 7.5 on a scale from 1-10. Nothing struck me as particularly buggy (except the clock sometimes did weird things).

Setup is a breeze. You need at least CD1... and definitely the other 2 if you want most of the big apps (Openoffice.org, KDE apps, etc.). You'll also need the kernel source (CD#3 or download the RPM) for installing NVIDIA's official driver at their site if you have their card.

Redhat 8 looks like it has better looking fonts by default and I found it a pain to get real anti-aliased fonts in Mandrake working in most apps.

if you want a good looking, fast loading/fast app loading os stick with xp, running an amd i found xp to be consideraably quicker and better looking than mandrake 9. but mandrake is cheap, easy to install and comes with pleanty of features (including ntfs support -redhat dont) so if u wanna play around install linux 4 a bit.....see what the fuss is about

Mandrake 9.0 even kicks Windows 2000's ass on my scale! Mandrake has some very good hardware support and now my scanner and CD Burner work. I don't have WineX running yet, but Mandrake 9.0 is good enough to completely replace Windows 2000. Only a few user-friendly issues with setting up the NVidia driver, getting a scanner to work, and setting up Java will be your biggest problems, but I managed to get through with it. However, when you install the NVidia drivers, use the 3123 drivers, not the 4191 ones since 4191 won't work when I tested it. Here's my latest rankings for the OSes with my reasons:

Mandrake-Linux 9.0: 9/10 -> Very good hardware support, fast, and stable. User-friendliness could be improved slightly and some more software available for Linux could be useful as well.

Mac OS X: Unknown, since I don't have enough experience with this OS to give a half decent opinion on it.

Windows 2000: 8/10 -> The most stable Windows OS, but is slower than Linux and not as many games will run correctly in it.

Windows XP: 7.5/10 -> A real resource hog for slower systems and contains too many unnecessary programs (Movie Maker, Media Player, etc).

Windows 98: 6/10 -> This OS is somewhat buggy and slow, but is half-decent for your everyday needs.

Windows ME: 2/10 -> This is the worst of the worst. Some updates in Windows ME are impossible to install or even wreck your system and crashes more often than Windows 98.

I'll give Red Hat 8.1 a try once it's released so I can judge the Linux distros fairly.

Windows 2000: 8/10 -> The most stable Windows OS, but is slower than Linux and not as many games will run correctly in it.

Why mark down windows 2000 for games now working, when you can't find many for linux???

Why mark down windows 2000 for games now working, when you can't find many for linux???

I meant they will not work in Windows 2000 as good as in Windows 98. In Linux, you might be able to use WineX, but I'll have to do some more tests on it.

I meant they will not work in Windows 2000 as good as in Windows 98. In Linux, you might be able to use WineX, but I'll have to do some more tests on it.

hmm i would have agreed with you 2 years ago, but most games released in the last 4 years work on Windows 2000 w/o any problems.

Why play old DOS games on a 1.2ghz+ computer when you can pick up a p133 at a recycling pc center for under $60.

you can't disqualify an OS for not running old games. If we were to support games up to 10 years ago our OSes would still be based on Windows 98 because that was one of the reasons the 9x kernel stayed alive is due to compatibility.

Yes Win2k had its issues when it came out (especially driver wise) but now 3 years later I believe it has done a better than excellent job.

• 3 weeks later...

For a start Windows 2000 isnt meant for gaming, its mean for business use and i dont think businesses would let there employees play games instead of making profits,

do you?! :no:

i really wanna kno if mandrake 9.0 is the way to go, i kno redhat is the best but its not wortgh 6 cd's to me

Mandrake is certainly as good if not (in my opinion) a lot better than Red Hat as a desktop. I've tried them both, and I've got to say that I wasn't impressed with Red Hat.

You can download the Mandrake 3 CD distro, which makes a very nice desktop, from a number of mandrake mirrors, or, order the (7) CD set from Mandrake.

Try Mandrake, and if you don't like it go with RedHat. You may want to keep Windows in a seperate partition or drive so you can use it for games - but you don't have to. Also - try other distros too! There are so many!

slackware is for more advanced users, anyways I've treid RH 8 and Man 9, to me Mandrake 9 seems better b/c it detects your hardware better, even detected my MS Office keyboard! :D, I tried upgrading to the 9.1 beta 2 but I get confused as it seems its going to install again, and I tried just installing 9.1 b2 but it doesnt seem to have my vid drivers :blink: iono why not... anyone else try man 9 beta 2? On RH 8 its nice but just wish I could get some radeon 9000 pro drivers (released ati drivers dont work)

slackware is for more advanced users, anyways I've treid RH 8 and Man 9, to me Mandrake 9 seems better b/c it detects your hardware better, even detected my MS Office keyboard! :D, I tried upgrading to the 9.1 beta 2 but I get confused as it seems its going to install again, and I tried just installing 9.1 b2 but it doesnt seem to have my vid drivers :blink: iono why not... anyone else try man 9 beta 2? On RH 8 its nice but just wish I could get some radeon 9000 pro drivers (released ati drivers dont work)

I tried the 9.1 beta and it will upgrade, but beta 2 want's to do a complete install, and then, screws up royally. Neither of the betas are really ready for prime time :no:

Stay with 9.0 :yes:

I tried the 9.1 beta and it will upgrade, but beta 2 want's to do a complete install, and then, screws up royally. Neither of the betas are really ready for prime time :no:

Stay with 9.0 :yes:

yea thats exactly what it does :blink:

also I was wondering can I use apt-get in mandrake? like in RH? if anyone knows..

I tried the 9.1 beta and it will upgrade, but beta 2 want's to do a complete install, and then, screws up royally. Neither of the betas are really ready for prime time  :no: 

Stay with 9.0  :yes:

yea thats exactly what it does :blink:

also I was wondering can I use apt-get in mandrake? like in RH? if anyone knows..

To my knowledge only rpm and tar :(