Two most important updates for Vista

I have Vista on my new HP laptop I just purchased.. I have it at home also, but took it off my desktop.

I have the problems with the slow starts, file copy, and definitely the in and out of sleep/hibernation problems. So I definitely hope these updates fix those.

Anyone know what's up with the file versions? The KB article says they should be 6.0.6000.206xx but mine are 6.0.6000.165xx after installing the patches.

Been wondering also. If the beta updates is the same the official ones, then why beta updates have 6.0.6000.165xx whereas official updates have 6.0.6000.206xx (as per KB article)? :blink:

I don't have any of those problems on my main Vista machine but I do have a couple of those problems on my downstairs computer and I can't wait to see if this patch fixes that.

Been wondering also. If the beta updates is the same the official ones, then why beta updates have 6.0.6000.165xx whereas official updates have 6.0.6000.206xx (as per KB article)? :blink:

I uninstalled beta/leaked updates and reinstalled the official one. Still mine shows 6.0.6000.165xx. Could some one confirm what their version number (I mean the ones who installed official packs only)?

6.0.6000.16514.x86fre.vista_gdr.070627-1500

For anyone that wants to know what build they have go to RegEdit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

nuhi, vlite and nLite creator:

Found the issue, I can't believe that this was causing the issue. Certain reg entries must not be cleaned in the

'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FolderDescriptions'.

Components which have this problem are:

Game Explorer

Printer Support

Sidebar

Media Samples

Windows Search

Sync Center

You can remove all other and the KB938979 will work just fine.

Fixed in the next version.

Imagine how stupid this was, now gotta leave those entries there, good thing is that they don't matter once the component is removed, it was more of a cosmetic cleanup.

The fix on the running machine probably would be to uninstall that hotfix, fill in all the default values in that reg key and reinstall the hotfix.

This is precisely why I don't mess around with that nLite/vLite crap anymore. The project is valiant but I'm not willing to reformat my machine every month to deal with new and unforseen software issues caused by component removal.

I had the slow network/local file copy bug, and after applying the patch I think the problem was alleviated somewhat, though I can't say for sure; file transfers feel snappier, I suppose, but I haven't been able to notice any significant time decreases. However, I can say for sure that they didn't hurt anything.

Well, I installed them from Microsoft. And wow, definately a magic fix for me.

If you're not sure on if it's copying across the network faster, instead watch how long it takes to "calculate time remaining". Part of the problem is that the initial calculation would delay the transfer in some circumstances. Now, it's got a time calculated and it's copying almost instantly :)

All fine with the compatibility patch here, but when i install the performance one my network connection stop working saying "the dependacy server or group failed to start". Anyone have any idea? I tryed starting the services manually but they wont start =\

*update* I tryed running the os without driver signing check with F8 at the start, and with it disabled the network and everything work perfect again... so i tryed switching my network cards (marvell yukon) drivers with an older release with WHQL sign but nothing, if i boot the system without the driver signing feature disable the problem comes again... anyone got any idea on which driver could cause this problem? Since i guess it couldn't be the network one if it persists with whql driver, but still it's the network not working... mumble =(

All fine with the compatibility patch here, but when i install the performance one my network connection stop working saying "the dependacy server or group failed to start". Anyone have any idea? I tryed starting the services manually but they wont start =\

*update* I tryed running the os without driver signing check with F8 at the start, and with it disabled the network and everything work perfect again... so i tryed switching my network cards (marvell yukon) drivers with an older release with WHQL sign but nothing, if i boot the system without the driver signing feature disable the problem comes again... anyone got any idea on which driver could cause this problem? Since i guess it couldn't be the network one if it persists with whql driver, but still it's the network not working... mumble =(

*solved* the problem was the halfopen connections patch that changed my tcpip.sys to not signed, i changed it back to the original one and now it's all good! =)