Installing Linux, i duno how

how does linux install? does if format the current partition, install on the current partition, or do you select wut partition it does?

It formats a partition to ext2 or ext3 or reiser, or you can make a new partition or repartition the whole drive, it's like any other OS ;)

godammit i hate it when ppl slag off stuff they haven't tried or dont understand. for what it is (free, underfunded) compared to windows linux is sublime. however i do accept that after tryin mandrake 9.0 this disdribution is slower at windows things (starting up/opening programs) but to do hardcore proceesing thing (compiling kernals/running fileservers) linux kanes-ass. personally, i stick 2 xp 4 desktops and linux 4 servers. and btw if you dont understand how to partition ur disk u really shudnt bother with linux

Here's my (limited) experience with Linux distro installs, for the common man...

Redhat 2.0 sucked monkies...4 cd's of crap that took all day to install. That put me off Linux for a year or so.

Redhat 4.0 - current is amazing. Every distro comes with a boot disk that starts installation just like a modern Win/ Mac OS. Install options are fairly easy, and other than a few video issues with Redhat 4, it installs clean.

Suse 7.3 - 8.1, same as Redhat 4.0+, but with more CD's.

Lycoris build_46...very, very easy to install.

Now, how to install Linux, simplified. You can either a.) Go to your local CompUSA, Microcenter or other retailer and purchase a boxed Linux distribution. If you don't know what's best for you then just pay attention to release dates and features listed on the box. Kinda like going to the store as a complete noob and figuring Win98 must be better than Win95 because it was released 3 years later :p

Or you can go to LinuxISO.org (my favorite Linux DL site) and download a fairly current build of Linux. LinuxISO.org allows you to choose which distro you want, gives a brief summary of the distros features, and provides some great links for noobs such as myself. Download your .iso files, then burn them to CD. I prefer using Nero, but whatever software came with your CD burner will do nicely.

Label your CD's properly.

At this point you have options. You can use a partition manager to free up some room on your HD for the Linux install, or some Linux installer cd's have disk management....make certain you know which one you want to use, and learn about how to properly manage disk partitions before hand. You probably do not want to overwrite your Windows partition if you plan on a dual boot scenario. Simple, but true.

Myself, I take the more difficult approach. I have a spare 25MB WD HD that I Fdisk, then replace as my boot disk. I use that to install to, so I know my Linux install has plenty of room and that I'm not accidentally overwriting important Windows files. I keep my Windows boot disk mounted in place, just unplugged...some people actually buy drive switchers to switch boot HD's back and forth...I just plug/ unplug my IDE's. Call me paranoid...

Now this is probably one of the silliest ways to install Linux you experienced *nix freaks have ever heard, but it works for me. I've done this ever since an installer ambiguosly labeled two of my partitions incorrectly...and of course instead of double checking, I overwrote some important data. User foul up to be certain, ever since then I have taken precautions.

Now here's the catch - Linux is fantastic! Yes, you really can run apps like nobodies business, and the sheer speed of applying filters using The GIMP will make most Windows users wonder why the ever tried making a wallpaper with Photoshop. Multimedia is easy to use, internet/ LAN connection is fairly secure and easy, and Open Office takes away alot of the crap that OfficeXP throws in your way.

However, Linux still needs more apps, IMO. I have to use CAD software almost every day - Linux has none. The Gimp is good, but it's not PS7 when you're professionally creating logos and presentations for clients, it just lacks too many features. And while I love Open Office, I still haven't found an equivilant to Excel on Linux...another thing required for work. Not to mention I've NEVER seen an app that let's a user create vector art on Linux.

So thats my super-noob take on Linux. Hopefully as one *nix noob to another this helps somewhat. Go download your ISOs and start installing, if you dont miss any of the features Ive listed above, then dont ever look back!

Not to mention I've NEVER seen an app that let's a user create vector art on Linux.

go take a look at koffice url: http://koffice.org/ , it has a spreadsheet and illustration package among other things (unfortunatly it requires kde).

kword = word processor

kspread = spreadsheet

kpresenter = presentation graphics (ie: powerpoint)

kvivo = flowcharting applications (ie: omnigraggle or visio)

karbon14 = vector graphics (ie: illustrator)

krita = raster graphics (ie:photoshop)

there are also some other applications for 'less common' tasks like editing formulas.

Not to mention I've NEVER seen an app that let's a user create vector art on Linux.

go take a look at koffice url: http://koffice.org/ , it has a spreadsheet and illustration package among other things (unfortunatly it requires kde).

kword = word processor

kspread = spreadsheet

kpresenter = presentation graphics (ie: powerpoint)

kvivo = flowcharting applications (ie: omnigraggle or visio)

karbon14 = vector graphics (ie: illustrator)

krita = raster graphics (ie:photoshop)

there are also some other applications for 'less common' tasks like editing formulas.

Now that helps alot!

Thank you!