Going for driving test any tips?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

#16 aajvs99

aajvs99

Neowinian

• 402 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:53

Its easy. just drive watch ur speeds stay at the speed limit its not that hard. make sure when you are looking around all your checks you make it REALLY obvious. I talked to the guy the whole time. it sorta took the edge of my stress and probably made him overlook some stuff.

#17 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Neowinian

• 141 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:53

Just go the speed limit, don't go 5 over or under even though it's allowed they may take off points.

Always stop at railroads and look before. Nobody does it in real driving but my test person took a couple points off for just driving through a railroad.

Last Don't get nervous, I got nervous and turned left instead of right, it was alright she just then tested me on how well I can get back on course without causing trouble xD...but yea do those things. They will maybe test you on parking 1" away from the sidewalk. If you don't live in a city where theres lots of parallel parking they most likely wont test you on that. They usually test you only on things required in the area you are in. Test in the city is definitely harder than in a suburb area.

#18 random_n

random_n

Neowinian

• 977 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:26

If you're going to turn the wheel for anything other than following a bend in the road, signal. That even includes when you turn into your parking stall at the end of the test.

And don't run anybody over. :D

#19 OP sn00pie

sn00pie

Neowinian Senior

• 6,202 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:30

Turned out pretty easy i got the license.

But here's what problem I'm facing, now that I've got my license im noticing how hard it is to really follow speed limits, i find myself "speeding" most of the time. doing 60 in 50 zones, 40 in 30 zones, how can I control my heavy foot?

I don't want this to develop into a habit where I'm always speeding, it's not gonna do me any good in the long-term.

#20 kombolcha

kombolcha

Sexy

• 14,707 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:15

For stateside drivers, i've always found these to help people.

Before you go take your driving test, make sure that your car's lights work or you will automatically fail, remember your hand signals and the basic ergo buttons on your car, like the AC, turn signal switch, light switch, rear de-frost, front window ventilation, e-brake, horn, and emergency lights.

Every driving test area will always have one intersection with a "No Right Turn on Red", remember to look out for the signs.

There will also be an area where there is a 4-way stop sign, it's first come first serve, if you and the vehicle opposite reach the line at the same time, it's their right of way if they are indicating a turn.

Remember to stop behind the limit lines, it is the easiest mistake to commit.

Finally, just relax, and remember to move your head around a little bit to SHOW that you're looking, moving your eye balls will not cut it for you.

#21 Cormier6083

Cormier6083

Eat My Spaghetti Noodle!

• 5,562 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:23

Don't drop the soap.

Just be calm and relax. Look at all the booty-ful things outside like a gangbang taking place in the alley.

#22 Martyn

Martyn

Game don't change. Game the same.

• 9,242 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 14:11

I have my test tomorrow...I am very nervous!!

#23 Martyn

Martyn

• 9,242 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:04

...and I failed!

#24 Huleboeren

Huleboeren

Neowinian Senior

• 4,445 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 13:20

Bummer - sorry to hear that
What went wrong?

#25 Martyn

Martyn

• 9,242 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 14:30

I was a bit nervous as I had no idea what to expect, but once I started driving I felt I did well. About two mins before the end of the test though I got a major. I was on a duel carriageway and the left lane ahead was closed off by cones, I sought to get accross to the right lane and apparently caused the lorry behind me in the lane next to me to slow down.

So yeah, I failed. I am not going to make any excuses because if you fail you fail for a reason, I could say "blah if there where no roadworks, if there was no lorry"...but when you drive these things happen. I am dissapointed and annoyed though as I have to wait until Christmas before I can take the test again since I am off to Uni.

#26 mezoko

mezoko

Archlinux Linux User

• 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:06

man that sucks, Do you mind explaining what a lorry is (live in the states)?

I took my driving test, and I was really nervous, I ended up passing, but it was a simple circle around some side streets (that I was familiar with), anything more there was good chance I possibly would have failed. I drive 20min to school everyday without a problem, I just did a terrible job controlling my stress / nervousness.

@Game - I usually try to glance every once in while a the speedometer. If I find my self going fast I'll let go of the gas (obvious) and if it like 5 over I'll just cost, till I get back to the limit, or I'll slowly apply the brakes until I get back to the limit. But usually when accelerating I just watch the speedometer. When I got out to school the speed limit is 45->35->25 all within like 5-8 minutes, so I find it extremely hard to stay a 25mph in the 25mph zone, I easily get back up to 35

#27 Halfhalo

Halfhalo

Custom Member Title

• 72 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:16

Since I live in one county and my school is in another, the Freeway ( the 118 btw) has no cops on it, so speeding isn't a big issue for me. I DO find that i get there just as fast if im going 65 compared to 80.

#28 mezoko

mezoko

Archlinux Linux User

• 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:18

I forgot to mention I drive this thing!!!
http://upload.wikime...ebherr_T282.jpg

Watch out Mezoko's on the Road!!

#29 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

• 4,331 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:26

First off: don't let the nervousness get to you. I mean, it's normal to get nervous, but try not to; there's not really any reason TO be nervous.
Follow the speed, try to stay as close as the speed limit as possible.
Make sure you glance at your mirrors often.
And one thing I got dinged on my driving test was that the instructor claimed I wasn't turning my head enough for a blind spot check when I could clearly see :wacko: . So make sure to really exagerate when you look, like.. stretch your head a lil further than you normally would - depends on the instructor, but like I said, I got dinged for it.

Oh, and make sure you do that 10 & 2 hand thing, lol.

Good luck :) Hope these help a lil.

#30 Lt-DavidW

Lt-DavidW

Neowin Mafia Don

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 17:25

Right, the big day is almost here. My test is tomorrow at 10:24am, and I need some tips on how to remain calm and focused.

I'm already so nervous, and when I get nervous I usually end up with a string of mistakes!! :/