Going for driving test any tips?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

#91 vetStephen

Stephen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,059 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:08

Driving stick? Avoid "clutch cruising" and staying in gears too long. "Optimum" gear changes are at 20, 40, 60 and 80km/h. Everyone says drive slowly and carefully which is true, just don't drive too slowly or you might end up making mistakes. Don't grab the inside of the wheel when you turn. Get off the accelerator when you go over a hill. Drive the recommended speed if it differs from the speed limit. Make it obvious that you are doing your shoulder checks, not a quick glimpse of your mirrors and rely on peripheral vision.

That depends entirely on the car

#92 booboo

booboo

Neowinian

• 1,030 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:14

Yes but most vehicles that learner's learn in has an engine capacity between 1.2-1.6 (max) so that is about right for those engines. I
Keep it below 2.5k revs per gear change

#93 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,647 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 September 2011 - 16:33

Most cars you can tell when to change from how the engine sounds, many cars in the past here didn't even come with Rev counters.

#94 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,843 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 28 September 2011 - 16:41

Best tip i can give is to Drive like your grandmother is in the car and try to ignore the proctor as much as possible.

#95 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

• 854 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 15:35

Also depends on the road and conditions.

#96 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

• 2,653 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 14:29

Don't fail

#97 mduren2445

mduren2445

Neowinian

• 365 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 14:42

let out a real nasty F**T so that it brings tears to the one testing you and they can't see what you are doing :D Just kidding just relax and drive like you know you can

#98 rijp

rijp

Neowinian

• 324 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 15:09

I'm pretty good at normal driving my only problem-causers could be parallel parking and/or reverse stall parking.

Do you guys have any tips for going to your driving test? Posted Image

Thanks Posted Image

If you are nervous then that means one thing (and this applies to public speaking as well).

you ready.. you need MORE practice. You should be able to do it ...without thinking. If you think about it, it means that you are worried, you are worried because you are not adequately prepared. Think of it this way... YOU will be driving a LOT when you get your license, this is just the first step to PROVE you can handle. We know you can handle it so just go out there and do it!

Get someone to give you more practice before the REAL test.. that's the best advice. Keep doing it to where you don't even think about it.

Yes but most vehicles that learner's learn in has an engine capacity between 1.2-1.6 (max) so that is about right for those engines. I
Keep it below 2.5k revs per gear change

you are the type person that makes people nervous there is no set limit for revs..what if you are going up a hill? That number will go up.. who watches the revs while driving, your eyes SHOULD remain on the road, so this isn't good advice AT ALL.

Ridiculous and it's incorrect. Listen to the engine.. you know how hard you are pressing the pedal and you SHOULD tell from knowing the car you are driving.. that's how you shift not by watching the console.. that's REALLY bad idea. you don't watch instruments when you drive, those are there for reference, not to use to drive with!

#99 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,647 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:44

Agreed, eyes on road, you'll usually hear when the engine wants a gear change. I've never looked At rpm counter

#100 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:02

I'm guessing no one bothered to check the date of the original post: August 5, 2007. :laugh:

#101 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,986 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:49

Make sure the tester sees you checking mirrors

OR

Whisper to yourself in fake latin all the way around, punctuate with a menacing glare

#102 xrobwx

xrobwx

Neowinian

• 750 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:54

Be yourself and pay attention to your 5 senses. Check that rear view mirror often. When I took my test, the instructor held up his clipboard in front of the rearview and asked me what was behind me. I could not tell him.

Knock back a tumbler of Jagermeister.  :shifty: (Just kidding)

#103 Carbon Fiber

Carbon Fiber

Neowinian Senior

• 1,600 posts
  • Phone: Android 4.4.2

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:55

Before getting into driving test your mind should be stress less okay. Drive as usual these are my simple tips.

Spammer, check his/her sig :/

#104 xrobwx

xrobwx

Neowinian

• 750 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:56

I'm guessing no one bothered to check the date of the original post: August 5, 2007. :laugh:

:woot: No, but I did notice that you're 3715 posts away from your t-shirt!

#105 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

• 405 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:55

That'll be bad for your test then.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!