TrustedInstaller CPU usage

first off what is trustedintaller used for in vista.

And second why is it at least for me that it seems to run every hour and crank up my cpu to 100% for about 5-10 minutes everytime.

Is this a bug in vista?

Definitely shouldn't be happening that frequently (it should only crank up when Windows Update is checking for updates, determining if they apply to your system)... and you really shouldn't notice it. That said, I believe WU / TrustedInstaller will be better behaved in SP1.

I hope so cause Im on a laptop ram isnt an issue its the fact that I have a 1.8 centrino and when something runs at 100% it is really noticeable on my system. Its funny it also does it when I run media player either at startup or when I close it. I already added a registry entry to have media player not check for updates but it still runs and really lags my music.

• 2 months later...

hey i know this is an old topic, but the whole trusted installer thing is getting annoying again. Everytime I start media player or movie make trustedinstaller clicks on bumps my cpu to 100% and sits for 5 or so minutes and it really lags my computer. Why would there be a process like this that automatically gets 100% cpu.

hey i know this is an old topic, but the whole trusted installer thing is getting annoying again.

Again? Are you saying it does go away at some point?

Why would there be a process like this that automatically gets 100% cpu.

Hello, we at Microsplot sell buggy products so that you could do our betatesting and leave more money in our pockets. Thanks for co-operating (we may fix this in next (expensive) Windows version)

Look closely at my Avatar and do the math.

Disable the Windows Modules Installer service in services.msc, that'll stop it. You'll have to start it again temporarily to use a lot of installers though.

I'm a simracer that competes in organised events, and the last thing I need is Vista checking for windows updates when I'm bombing around Zandvoort surrounded by another 24 cars. I don't mind if I'm just browsing or whatever, but I wish there was a "BUGGER OFF" mode for full screen applications (=games)

That said, I believe WU / TrustedInstaller will be better behaved in SP1.

i hope so. i had it kick off the other day when i was gaming as well. damn nuisance. :crazy:

hey i know this is an old topic, but the whole trusted installer thing is getting annoying again. Everytime I start media player or movie make trustedinstaller clicks on bumps my cpu to 100% and sits for 5 or so minutes and it really lags my computer. Why would there be a process like this that automatically gets 100% cpu.

You may disable auto update of wmp to get rid of the trustedinstaller while using wmp:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsMediaPlayer]
"DisableAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

The problem isn't with WMp here, it's with TrustedInstaller. You're just applying a band-aid with that method. =\

I'd be VERY interested to know if people see this ever with SP1. =\

its a band-aid but for now it does the trick, but cause honestly media player updates should be checked when windows update kicks in, and i have windows update check at a certain time.