Linux Help:Bootable Linux Disk With USB Support ?

I am trying to boot Knoppix on a computer that doesn't boot cd's.... That's no problem as you can make a Knoppix boot floppy.... The problem is that it's an older board and only has the older style keyboard connectors and serial connector for the mouse..... I have a USB PCI card in it and a USB keyboard and mouse.... What I need to be able to do is initialize the USB then boot the floppy....

I haven't done anything like this in ages and never used Linux much so it's a bit of a challenge, my skills are rusty in this deartment....

TIA

What you are trying to do, my friend, is a challenge. God bless ya if you get it to work.;) Is it possible that you could install Linux on your hard drive intstead of booting off a CD?

Well in all honesty if I wanted I could wait until tomorrow and go buy the ps2 adapter.... But now that I've started this I'm interested in seeing if it can be done, I'd like to accomplish it if I can with some help.....

And yes I could install Linux on my hard drive, but I am using Knoppix because it runs directly from the cdrom, this system doesn't have a hard drive... If I wanted I could take the drive I have in my pc that I use for backing up DVD's, but I do use it and it would be quite large for such an older machine, it would really go to waste...

Well in all honesty if I wanted I could wait until tomorrow and go buy the ps2 adapter.... But now that I've started this I'm interested in seeing if it can be done, I'd like to accomplish it if I can with some help.....

And yes I could install Linux on my hard drive, but I am using Knoppix because it runs directly from the cdrom, this system doesn't have a hard drive... If I wanted I could take the drive I have in my pc that I use for backing up DVD's, but I do use it and it would be quite large for such an older machine, it would really go to waste...

My experience with Knoppix would indicate that it wouldn't run very well on an older machine. Knoppix is essentially a very complete and elegant Debian (woodie) desktop, but I think the GUI may be a little weighty for what you seem to be attempting. :rolleyes:

Is this just an old system that you just happen to have around, and, does that mean that you have another more current system around? :unsure: If that is the case then I suggest booting it on the newer system. :yes:

Well in all honesty if I wanted I could wait until tomorrow and go buy the ps2 adapter....

That may be the easiest way to do it. I use a PS/2 adapter on my USB optical mouse and it works fine.

Thanks for the help guys....

It actually runs fairly decent for what I am trying to get it to do, which is basically an mp3 player, and yes I'm pretty much just doing it for fun..... I've got a nice wooden cabinet that I took an old receiver out of and I am going to put the system inside the cabinet once I'm done.....

It would have been nice to get it to work with USB, but like I said it was more of a challenge... I finally got the keyboard adapter and got everything going......

Now I have another seperate question I'll be posting here soon...

Thanks again...