Shift Linux 0.5 (RC-1) Released!

Well, I finally burned 3 Shift CDs, and WOW, I'm impressed! This is the first Live CD I've used (Ubuntu, Slax, PCLinuxOS, etc user...) that actually shows no signs of being a CD...everything is really, really fast and works just as if it were on the hard drive.

From Dave Legg:

Weekend's final download numbers for Shift Linux 0.5 (RC-1).. 26 August 2007

Shift Linux 0.5 (RC-1) Gnome: 3297

Shift Linux 0.5 (RC-1) KDE: 4818

Shift Linux 0.5 (RC-1) Flux: 725

plus whatever's on the tracker

Is the gnome shift installable to a 1gb usb flash drive?

I mean, I don't want it to run like a LiveCD inside the drive, I want it installed to the drive. Is this possible? If it is, can you show me how, or at least point me in the right direction?

BTW: My flash drive can only have 1 partition.

Is the gnome shift installable to a 1gb usb flash drive?

I mean, I don't want it to run like a LiveCD inside the drive, I want it installed to the drive. Is this possible? If it is, can you show me how, or at least point me in the right direction?

BTW: My flash drive can only have 1 partition.

Not currently, but we will look into this as a future option.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, stop being obnoxious. I am very slow at these things.

Since you didn't get a very good answer, here's a slightly better one (hopefully).

Fedora installs packages via rpms which can be retrieved via yum. rpms have historically been slower, and not very much fun to work with. One would typically hear the term 'dependency hell' when referring to rpms. Yum has changed the dependency issues a bit, but rpms are still slow. Since 'Shift is Debian based, it uses dpkgs distributed through apt. It is typically faster to install/upgrade things, and the package base is significantly larger, somewhere in the 20,000 range for number of packages available. That's probably the most significant difference that I know of (although there are probably others).

And using apt tends to solve the dependency issues without other manipulation of files. The Debian repositories are the largest and most used of all the distros (to my knowledge), considering that Ubuntu, Knoppix, as well as others all use some form of them.