Acer To Buy Gateway For US$710 Million

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,190 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 15:27

TAIPEI -(Dow Jones)- Taiwan's Acer Inc. (2353.TW), the world's fourth-largest computer maker by shipments said Monday it agreed to buy Irvine, Calif.-based computer maker Gateway Inc. (GTW) for US$710 million in a deal that is expected to shore up the Taiwanese company's weak presence in the U.S. market.

Acer is offering to buy Gateway shares for US$1.90 each, a premium of 57% to Gateway's Friday closing price of US$1.21 each.

The companies said in a joint statement Monday they expect the acquisition to close by December pending regulatory approval in Taiwan and the U.S.

The two companies will have combined revenue of more than US$15 billion and PC shipments of over 20 million units a year, they said.

"Both Acer's and Gateway's geographical presences and product positioning are highly complementary," said Acer President Gianfranco Lanci in the statement. " We believe that our combined scale will lead to significant efficiencies."

The two companies said they expect "significant" revenue and cost savings after the merger because it will result in a reduction in component costs for both companies.

The potential cost savings will be more than US$150 million, Acer and Gateway said in their statement.

Bryan Ma, an analyst at U.S. market research firm IDC said, Acer's acquisition of Gateway is expected help the Taiwan company's relatively weak presence in the U.S. market.

"Acer ranked sixth in the U.S. market, while Gateway ranked third as of the second quarter. Combined, they are expected to double their shipments," he said.

Citigroup Inc. is the financial advisor for Acer, while Goldman Sachs Group Inc. is acting as the financial advisor for Gateway.

-By Wei Yi Lim and Joy C. Shaw, Dow Jones Newswires; (8862) 2502-2557; joy.shaw@dowjones.com

http://money.cnn.com...NLINE000092.htm

#2 Minifig

Minifig

Kun Det Bedste Er Godt Nok!

• 7,282 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 15:29

This could be good news, or it could be very, very bad news.

#3 Bazenga

Bazenga

Neowinian

• 845 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 15:32

Very nice, I love Acer. In fact, I'm going to buy an Acer notebook tomorrow :>

#4 goji

goji

Neowinian Senior

• 4,894 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 15:33

eMachines was bought by Gateway not to long ago, and now Gateway by Acer? Could this mean better laptops?

#5 vetL3thal

L3thal

Honor, Duty, Fidelity

• 19,062 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 16:24

Not a bad merger. I know I wouldn't buy neither of their laptops even if they were on sale but Gateway desktops are very decently priced for what they offer but again, I stay away from both brands due to personal experience.

HP ftw ;)

#6 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• 4,543 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 17:14

Last year at the job they ordered a batch of Acer laptop with docking (lowest bidder).... The thing was so hot and the docking plastic to thin, the thing melted....

It happened more than once, before the laptop where given to the users. Well, they where all replaced and got DELL laptop instead.

No Acer for me!

#7 Tech Star

Tech Star

Neowinian Senior

• 10,553 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 17:18

Whats going to happen? There is going to be on brand "Acer" or two "Acer" and "Gateway?"

#8 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,428 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M7 - Blue

Posted 27 August 2007 - 17:42

Whats going to happen? There is going to be on brand "Acer" or two "Acer" and "Gateway?"

Probably the same as HP and Compaq. Individual names, but Gateway will be on there as "a division of Acer"

#9 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,190 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 18:16

Probably the same as HP and Compaq. Individual names, but Gateway will be on there as "a division of Acer"

that would be a murger, this is a buy out.

#10 Bawx

Bawx

Go Sox!

• 4,665 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 18:21

I thought Acer was small, I'd expect Gateway to buy Acer, not the other way around.

#11 cloudstrife13

cloudstrife13

Neowinian Senior

• 3,023 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 18:38

I thought Acer was small, I'd expect Gateway to buy Acer, not the other way around.

I've seen 10x more Acers in my life then Gateways. The third computer that I ever had in my house was a Acer. Of course now I'm on my like 8th Computer.

#12 Dane2003

Dane2003

Neowinian

• 210 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 22:29

In my opinion, this is such an unfortunate sale. I will no longer purchase Gateways once this merger has taken over. Acer's by far have the worst rate of being returned than any other computer I sell. I work in retail and i've seen so many more Acer's return than any other computer we sell. They dont make quality products. Common complaints have been key's falling off, defective batteries not working, and screen lamps burning out.

#13 Cormier6083

Cormier6083

Eat My Spaghetti Noodle!

• 5,562 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 22:36

I hope Gateway stays Gateway. I can still remeber my first Gateway. A S 500 tower with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 258 MB of RAM. It had a super small 15" LCD. Lollz.

#14 .KICK

.KICK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,846 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 22:46

Acer rocks, I wonder what this will bring though. $710 million is alot

#15 Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Neowinian

• 334 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:20

now acer can sell computers at costco too.