AutoPatcher no longer allowed

Hello everybody,

i'm a new just registered neowin user, it seems i joined this nice community in a really sad day !

i want to express sincere concern for the termination of the extremely useful and technically superb Autopatcher project and say thank you very much to all the creators and contributors for the excellent job they did untill today

maybe what follows it's a stupid idea, but i was wondering if it could make sense continuning to build and publish a list of the various updates of every kind, for each os version, as if autopatcher should still be built monthly;

it could be something like a helpfull "qucik-guide" for a user who want to collect & mantain offline everything is need to totally update any installation of a specific windows version; i thought of that since in my opinion the ms download center, even if not bad at all in general, it's not well organized in order to reach such specific objective (at least not with little time and a few clicks)

Hi

:| Well it was good while it lasted..

maybe autopatcher can be changed so that it just downloads the updates from the server and installs them through its own interface type thing

although that would be a bit pointless for non-internet enabled computers. :ermm:

My thoughts exactly, get the updates directly from MS and put the extra download strain on their servers.

AP is designed for offline updating so downloading the patches for later use makes every sense.

AP works very well from a CD or DVD and can install patches when a PC is offline!

Kind Regards

Simon

Yeah, bow before Microsoft, like we all do...

What a sad day, One call and 4 years of work and effort of over 200 people wasted...

I just hope AutoPatcher will revamp into underground application and long live and prosper all over p2p networks.

Antonis, Now's the time to sue them for lost 4 years of life, and get the money for helping them to earn more money on your sweat...

If Microsoft's programers were any good, they would make Autopatcher years ago.

If Microsoft wrer any good they'd invite Antonis to work there. They sure need more experienced professionals.

I don't get why everyone is so annoyed, I'm shocked auto-patcher was allowed to continue for so long in the first place. Is anyone really surprised by this?

Yes. I am really surprised by the timing of it. Why did Microsoft wait so long if they had concerns about the authenticity/security of the patches being delivered via Autopatcher ?

I just hope AutoPatcher will revamp into underground application and long live and prosper all over p2p networks.

Yeah, I really hope this happens too - purely because of the amount of time and effort that has gone into the application - it's just too much to completely scrap the project :/ As far as I'm concerned, it poses no threat to Microsoft.

Switching to Ubuntu, not looking back.

Why, do you use autopatcher every day on your own computer or something??

Ubuntu uses a similar system to windows update. However it is built in.

Shame to see it go.

Wht can u expect from Microsoft? Sad that Autopatcher Is Shutdown

Probably they wudbnt mail u if u were in Sweden and Autopatcher ws hosted thr :p

I checked out piratebay smetime back http://thepiratebay.org/legal

thts really funny.Microsoft need people like them. they dnt knw tht it takes time 2 make a good great community than breaking one :-(

Anyways I would like to thank the autopatcher team for all the hardwork they did.If only i cud contribute to the community i wud feel much better.

GooD Luck with All your Future projects ;)

wow..this is kinda depressing considering I just recently had to do an XP reinstallation at a clients home where the downstream connection was a whopping 256 kbit/s.

I actually remember thanking God in that instance that Autopatcher existed. :(

Wht can u expect from Microsoft? Sad that Autopatcher Is Shutdown

Probably they wudbnt mail u if u were in Sweden and Autopatcher ws hosted thr :p

I checked out piratebay smetime back http://thepiratebay.org/legal

thts really funny.Microsoft need people like them. they dnt knw tht it takes time 2 make a good great community than breaking one :-(

Anyways I would like to thank the autopatcher team for all the hardwork they did.If only i cud contribute to the community i wud feel much better.

GooD Luck with All your Future projects ;)

I dont mean to flame or cause flame bait, but please at least finish words of properly as possible. My spelling is bad, but at least i try to write properly on Neowin.

It makes it hard to read your posts when you use txt tlk instead of words.

Dont forget, this is an online forum and your not being charged for how long a post is.

Microsoft forgot that Windows XP Pro Corp version did not requried to registerer it back in 2001. The WGA is crapware, 1. If you change your ISP's, or can you hardware so many times you are back on to a not running Windows. 2. If you are on dial up, it will take up to 4 hours to download and update your Windows.

This will give you to at lease try a live cd or dvd of Linux.

Does Autopatcher pervent Piracy? In my opinion, my answer is no!

Patches are fixes for computer program that is allways flawed.

4f86a4d9.jpg

I give AutoPatcher full Police Funeral. May is Rest in Peace.

Microsoft forgot that Windows XP Pro Corp version did not requried to registerer it back in 2001. The WGA is crapware, 1. If you change your ISP's, or can you hardware so many times you are back on to a not running Windows. 2. If you are on dial up, it will take up to 4 hours to download and update your Windows.

This will give you to at lease try a live cd or dvd of Linux.

Does Autopatcher pervent Piracy? In my opinion, my answer is no!

Patches are fixes for computer program that is allways flawed.

:blink:

Autopatcher should move like has been mentioned before. They are talking about this in the RyanVM forums. Maybe someone will come up with something and can say SCREW YOU MICROSOFT.

btw, if anyones interested in the email we received:

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Aug 29, 2007 11:24 AM

Subject: Demand for Immediate Take Down - Notice of Infringing

Activity - MS Ref. 98024

To: nw.raptor@gmail.com, theblazingangel@aol.com

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

VIA EMAIL:

Demand for Immediate Take-Down: Notice of Infringing Activity

URL: http://www.autopatcher.com/downloads/

CASE #: 98024

29 August 2007

Dear Sir or Madam,

Microsoft has received information that the domain listed above, which

appears to be on servers under your control, is offering unlicensed

copies of, or is engaged in other unauthorized activities relating to

copyrighted works published by Microsoft.

1. Identification of copyrighted works:

Copyrighted work(s):

Windows XP Media Center Edition

Windows XP Professional

Windows XP Home Edition

Windows XP Professional x64

Windows 2003 Server Enterprise

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 2000 Professional

Office Professional Edition 2003

Office Professional 2007

Office XP Professional

Copyright owner:

Microsoft Corporation

2. Copyright infringing material or activity found at the following

location(s): http://www.autopatcher.com/downloads/

The above computer program(s) is being made available for copying,

through downloading, at the above location without authorization of

the copyright owner.

3. Statement of authority:

The information in this notice is accurate, and I hereby certify under

penalty of perjury that I am authorized to act on behalf of Microsoft,

the owner of the copyright(s) in the work(s) identified above. I have

a good faith belief that none of the materials or activities listed

above have been authorized by Microsoft, its agents, or the law.

We hereby give notice of these activities to you and request that you

take expeditious action to remove or disable access to the material

described above, and thereby prevent the illegal reproduction and

distribution of this software via your company's network.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Please advise us

regarding what actions you take.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Anaman

Internet Investigator

on behalf of Microsoft Corporation

One Microsoft Way

Redmond, WA 98052

United States of America

E-mail: <snip>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: 9.6.3 (Build 3017)

wj8DBQFG1S1TGdEzfkFeYxgRAstrAKDj22WrEv8AhDmo+yXQDmiJ9wqaQACgpCNU

b7v1s9hdJvqXwDaE9kP3OXM=

=mGWG

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

update: better removed their email address i guess...

Edited by theblazingangel

this is sad and terrible news. I likened AP to the Trial run of the ill fated MS patch CD that they tried in 2004 that had SP2 and May04 patches on it. great product but I would not pay 20USD for something that should be free.

The only thing that I could even fathom that would be an issue is if there is a patch to fix a patch then there would be a conflict. We had this issue with AP before but it was due to the way that I used it not AP itself. The saddest thing is that I was in the middle of doing a Corporate image for my company and was going to use AP for it. I was going to download it yesterday but didn't. now its gone. the only thing now is where to go from here. Creating a downloader that will grab it from MS website would not be fesible because of the Genuine Windows check that you always have to go through. they are even making it difficult to get the Admin versions of patches as well. I don't know what to think about this but it is more than odd about the timing of it. First the Skype thing, then the WGA outage and now they are after AP closure, all in the same month. August was not a good month for IT users or admins. good luck and l let us know if you all get back on your feet.

A good bit could happen if they dont and if AutoPatcher is in the USA. Like people said before they have a almost unlimited supply of money for lawyers and all of that. If AutoPatcher was in another country that is a different story. The people that have asked why Microsoft waited so long do bring up a good point in my opinion though. Would like to see what a judge/jury would say about that.

What about those users, who :

-have slow internet connection

-do service repairs(reinstalls of OS)

-must reinstall in a place where there is no internet?

I do much of those stuff and I don't want to wait a freaking day for the updates to complete downloading !

What I did was basically (re)install XP + drivers, fire-up autopatcher, reboot and install other software, ready !

Now it's going to be like that + 1-5 hours more depending on internet connection (if any).

I liked Microsoft... really did... but now I ask myself - Do the M$ morons know what they're doing !?

Eventually I would skip the updates part and leave XP's with SP2 without the updates, or leave it set to automatical but that

would mean that I'm lazy or not professional in what I'm doing in the eyes of my customers...

I don't really understand how the AutoPatcher project could impact MS in a negative way... Can someone enlighten me?

Simple - The number of fully patched (more secured, less flawed etc.) OS'es WILL go down.

Less patched = more vulnerable to trojans, worms viruses and so on.

Less patched = more computers on zombie-net...