AutoPatcher no longer allowed

I'm surprised it lasted this long. If you were running an illegal copy that wouldn't access the update center, you had no problem downloading this as 90% of their updates don't auth after download.

Was a nice app. Too bad.

I'm surprised it lasted this long. If you were running an illegal copy that wouldn't access the update center, you had no problem downloading this as 90% of their updates don't auth after download.

Was a nice app. Too bad.

Sure, some of the users used it to make updates of an illegal OS...

But think of computer-repiar services where customers do come to clean their PC's out of viruses, reinstall it PROPERLY and so on...

It was a great tool for them (me included).

Come on guys, get over it, I've got a 512K connection here at the moment and a clean install of XP only takes 11 minutes to download and install all of the post-sp2 updates. I think this was bound to happen for a long time.

[...] he added that Windows Update for pre-Vista versions of Windows can now be accessed using Firefox [...]

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:

* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.

* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.

3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

Wait...the email says

The above computer program(s) is being made available for copying,

through downloading, at the above location without authorization of

the copyright owner.

.. but the list says you are letting people download Windows XP, Vista, Office, etc... o.0 that is odd

makes me think a new lawyer was hired at MS and did a google search for windows xp download and found autopatcher :p

Wait...the email says .. but the list says you are letting people download Windows XP, Vista, Office, etc... o.0 that is odd

makes me think a new lawyer was hired at MS and did a google search for windows xp download and found autopatcher :p

AP is the 8th link on Google for "download XP" http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+xp+download

Microsoft has received information that the domain listed above, which

appears to be on servers under your control, is offering unlicensed

copies of, or is engaged in other unauthorized activities relating to

copyrighted works published by Microsoft.

That about sums it up SkyyPunk

Wait...the email says .. but the list says you are letting people download Windows XP, Vista, Office, etc... o.0 that is odd

^ thats what i hope it is. sounds to me like some private investigator discovered us and took it upon themselves to close us down "on behalf of microsoft", and it's not actually microsoft themselves who asked for the closure. i really hope thats the case and the project pulls through this. all the work i've been doing for the website management system and things have gone down the drain now :(

Internet Investigator?

No self respecting person would give this as their job title. It sounds like something that an 8 y/o would put on a business card.

Sadly to hear about that news. Hope it proves wrong. But I think that you should continue redistribute AutoPatcher by using only tweaks and other tools that were in the package.

Thats what i was saking on IRC. Seems they wher pointing to an actual Windows download rather than the updates...

Why doesnt AutoPatcher just continue as a underground project?

Written updates to AutoPatcher can be posted on this site and thru torrent downloads (no links) we can get AutoPatcher.

Xbox-Scene has been using IRC and FTP for years to distribute their illegal work.

To all those who want MS to reconsider their decision to kill off AutoPatcher, please consider making a polite comment requesting they do so here

It's one thing to purge the download links, quite another to purge the entire discussion area.

You over-reacted which adds to the confusion.

Autopatcher's home page says, "comments are welcome" but you've removed that ability.

All Microsoft can "demand" is that you remove the download links. They don't have the authority to "demand" you remove the discussions.

Autopatcher was redistributing updates without authority, including some for which Microsoft requires authentication. That was their mistake.

They should have used a download-to-your-package method similar to Offline Update http://www.heise-security.co.uk/articles/80682 to copy the update releases directly from Microsoft to the host directory and include instructions about how to copy the entire directory tree for portability. There is a huge value in the ability to install a series of updates and registry modifications automatically, especially on multiple machines.

Well if MS wants it that way why don't we select a date and hour and do our updates at the same time every week or month. Let see if their servers will like it.

Well if MS wants it that way why don't we select a date and hour and do our updates at the same time every week or month. Let see if their servers will like it.

They would cope...

Leaving the forums open to discussion is something Microsoft doesn't want because it advocates and offers support for something Microsoft has asked us to stop doing.

Common sense.

I already posted that a Microsoft representative is looking into the matter for us.

It's one thing to purge the download links, quite another to purge the entire discussion area.

You over-reacted which adds to the confusion.

I don't know what you were told in your "phone conversation" NeoBond but I have to agree with Fred.

How can MS stop discussions? I guess you are not familiar with constitution rights? We have the right to free speech and discussion. By what you are saying, then MS is basically saying we have to call them with all of our problems? It's illegal to post questions in any forum then according to what you just said.

Heil Hitler!!!

What a bunch of crap.

I hope your MS rep. can help.

<<Sorry, I misread your post>> Half of what I typed makes me look like a moron, but oh well I'm still in a bit of shock also.

<<Sorry, I misread your post>> Half of what I typed makes me look like a moron, but oh well I'm still in a bit of shock also.

Edit - OK, removed what I had written in light of your edit above.