iPod nano review

Wow that's small. Reminds me of the tiny phones Nokia used to make until people realised they were to small to use. I can't see Apple making the Nano any smaller, they'll probably just add more features and increase it's capacity.

Does anyone know if these are in the Apple Store in the UK yet? I know, on the site, ordering is expected to be fulfilled at the end of September, but I'm not aware if they have them in-store.

They are going to be sold in Currys etc...according to Currys website, they expect release on 14th.

The warranty service is really good in Currys too. When my nano broke, I had it replaced with brand new one same day.

I don't think Apple can physically make the nano any smaller. It's already the exact same width as the USB cable, and in addition, it also has to serve the standard 3.5 mm headphone jack. So unless Apple moves to some (unpopular) adapters, you won't see it get any thinner than this.

I bought one for my wife on saturday too. I like it and so does she. I like the new menus and the games are enjoyable. I have Gen2 of the nano and not sure if I will trade yet. It would be nice to have some podcasts to go. Overall I think it is worth to get if you do not have. If you have gen2. Wait until the next gen4 comes out.

Does anyone know if these are in the Apple Store in the UK yet? I know, on the site, ordering is expected to be fulfilled at the end of September, but I'm not aware if they have them in-store.

I went to the Apple Store on Regents Street last week (friday) and they said they should be getting them in this week.

it's unbelievable how thin the nano is now. I couldn't believe it when i was in the apple store monday night.

It's actually no thinner than the 2G nano, but the rounded edges and polished stainless steel give the illusion that it's thinner than it really is.

Some are complaining that the wider design coupled with the thinness makes the unit a bit uncomfortable to hold after a while, but I was just on a long bus ride this afternoon, and it felt fine. I really have to invest in a good pair of earbuds, though. (I'm looking into the Shure SE310.)

This has to be the absolute limit on how thin consumer gadgets can be! There's no way you could even plug your headphones in if it became any thinner! :o

-Rich-

Exactly. Until we move away from the 3.5 mm headphone jack and/or the current iPod dock adapter, it is physically impossible for the nano to get any thinner. But who knows? Maybe in a few years wireless Bluetooth earbuds will become standard, and the iPod will have Bluetooth built in or something.

Great review. :) I just picked up my iPhone and plan to upgrade my 5th Gen iPod to one of the new Nano's, for exercise. I'll just keep the 5th Gen in the car, connected to my Alpine.

I'm trying to break out of that habit where I *must* carry every piece of media with me.

I'm most likely to get the 8GB nano now and leave the iPod touch.

AppleInsider's review made me go for it - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09...thin_shell.html

Radish?

I just read that review, what attracted you to it over the touch? I'm thinking of going with the new nano too just because I can easily take it with me and the features are still great even though it's tiny.

Great review. :) I just picked up my iPhone and plan to upgrade my 5th Gen iPod to one of the new Nano's, for exercise. I'll just keep the 5th Gen in the car, connected to my Alpine.

I'm trying to break out of that habit where I *must* carry every piece of media with me.

I'm the same way. I remember I used to carry all my music with me on my 30 GB iPod, but then I soon realized how little music I actually listened to. While the nano is only 8 GB, it's plenty for me, because I only put music on it that I actually listen to.

I'm the same way. I remember I used to carry all my music with me on my 30 GB iPod, but then I soon realized how little music I actually listened to. While the nano is only 8 GB, it's plenty for me, because I only put music on it that I actually listen to.

I hear you on that. My 4GB Nano is almost full but I don't have any other music I frequently listen to that I must have at all times.

And now, it's time for...

Bugs in the code? What? Say it isn't so!

Here are two small bugs I've found with the current nano firmware...

• If you add the "sleep" shortcut to the main menu and use that to turn off the player, it works fine. But turn the player back on, and it will immediately go to sleep. The only way around this is to quickly move the click wheel up the menu so it gets off the "sleep" shortcut.
  • I've found another glitch when it comes to playlist playback. As I've stated earlier, you can set up playlist folders. If you decide to play an entire folder, it appears to play back everything within that folder all at once, in shuffle mode, even if shuffle mode is turned off. I'm quite sure this shouldn't be happening. Another glitch involves individual playback. If I want to play all the songs in the playlist by merely pressing the play/pause button on the playlist name, it skips the first track, every single time. There is no way around this. The only way you can get the first track to play in a sequential (non-shuffle) order is to double-tap the rewind button to move backwards in the tracking list.

Hopefully both of these relatively annoying bugs will be fixed with the upcoming firmware update.

I just read that review, what attracted you to it over the touch? I'm thinking of going with the new nano too just because I can easily take it with me and the features are still great even though it's tiny.

Your thoughts are the same as mine, one thing I'm hoping for is a remote.

I'm also torn between red and black :/

Radish?

OK, reading this review as well as the negative reviews about the Touch on Engadget, iLounge, and Gizmodo relating to the problems with the screens; I've gone with a black 8GB Nano instead. I'll post a few pics of mine if you want later ;).

Just thought I'd add that I bought the 8 GB iPhone today. It's really very, very nice. Obviously, not quite as portable as the new nano, but I do like having an all-in-one device.