Need help with slackware, desperatly

im trying to setup a webserver with my linux box which is running slackware, im not sure which one, i think its 7.2 all i know is that its linux 2.4.18 but thats the kernel

anyways

ill try to put this into as much detail as i can

i bought a domain that i wanna use for my box and use the box as a webserver..

i could use some help in setting it up.

also, i have done it before, but cant remember how i did it, i had my box setup to DHCP and was able to keep a static LAN IP on it without using the static IP setting

there is a command to use for it, but im not sure, because everytime i telnet or SSH into it, after a little bit the IP would change and boot me off.

im trying to stop that

if there is anyone that could help me in setting both of these up, it would really help me!!

if you need more information, ill be glad to provide it

i bought a domain that i wanna use for my box and use the box as a webserver..

i could use some help in setting it up.

Here are list what you will need to setup a webserver with your domain following:

1) DNS server; it can be BIND, djbdns or whatever. BIND is one of most popular. I personal like djbdns better. Since, you don't have the static IP, so might be hard. You will need some different like dyndns (sp?) or whatever. I really can't help you on non-static IP, because I am stupid on this part. It's highly recommend you to buy two static IP to run as webserver with domain.

2) Apache as for webserver.

You are better off to search in the google.com first to find the doc and etc. Apache and BIND already have the great docs on their own website.

also, i have done it before, but cant remember how i did it, i had my box setup to DHCP and was able to keep a static LAN IP on it without using the static IP setting

there is a command to use for it, but im not sure, because everytime i telnet or SSH into it, after a little bit the IP would change and boot me off.

im trying to stop that

How many boxes do you have? Do you want this Slackware box to be DHCP server to take care of non-static IP to provide other boxes to have static LAN IP? There have plenty of DHCP setup tutorial, so start with search in here and google.com. There even have free Slackware online book/doc.

if there is anyone that could help me in setting both of these up, it would really help me!!

if you need more information, ill be glad to provide it

Well, please do the search first, because there have awful plenty of tutorial, how-to, docs and etc out there. When you have the problems, don't understand or whatever, then come back and post your problems with details. We will see what we can help you from there. Sorry, when people want to learn and run servers, there's no such of free lunch. (try to not rude, but that's truth) ;)

i know there isnt anything that can be gotten for free like that, basically thats why they made howto's

it wouldnt be a problem for me, but i have a real bad concentrating problem and i get really frustrated when trying to figure this crap out.

ill do the best that i can, i got some people that are trying to figure things out for me, and its kinda hard because they dont know anything about linux..

i have 3 boxes total, 2 win2k machines and my slackware machine

i souly want to use my slackware machine as the webserver, and yes, i have apache installed

im not sure if i want it to be the dhcp server, all i know is that when i first set it up, i found some tutorial and i did it manually im not sure, it was several months ago

all i remember is that it was set to DHCP and the LAN Ip never changed it was always at a constant 192.168.0.34

i did use a dynamic dns program / web address but thats when the ip stuck, i cant do it now, for the ip changes whenever there is access on the box or the box is being access'd to.

im not sure on how to put these things.

i know my way around linux sorta.. but when it comes to this, im at a dead end

well, i got everything fixed, but im still having 1 problem, i cant get the domain i bought to be used for some reason..

ive been reading apache files for hours and cant seem to fix the problem

i got the name servers pointing to my local IP, and everyone see's the site using the IP, but not the domain name..

i was just wondering if there is something im doing wrong, or is there is specific file i have to edit or what!

the domain name is dbzeta.net

im currently point it at my local ip 24.58.223.102

i have both the nameserver pointing to that ip under ns1.dbzeta.net and ns2.dbzeta.net

im playing around with the httpd.conf file and going through the apache faq's but nothing on there seems to be working

any help would be most greatfull!

Ok, now you will need to setup DNS server to make the domain and nameserver 100% work. Here are four examples, three from mine and another one I helped to others. I can't find the better another example that I posted in somewhere long time ago. Your choice of DNS server software, so BIND is better for you right now.

BIND

=================================

http://serverexpert.com/viewtopic.php?t=323

http://mezzweb.com:81/show/named.conf.txt

http://mezzweb.com:81/show/mezzweb.com.txt

============================= ====

djbdns

http://mezzweb.com:81/show/tinydns.txt

the domain name is dbzeta.net

im currently point it at my local ip 24.58.223.102

i have both the nameserver pointing to that ip under ns1.dbzeta.net and ns2.dbzeta.net

im playing around with the httpd.conf file and going through the apache faq's but nothing on there seems to be working

any help would be most greatfull!

yes the info for dbzeta.net is listed with bigdaddy and the name servers are listed. But I can not contact these name servers. And I show your IP address listed as hvc-24-58-223-102.hvc.rr.com. As a guess I would think you are running your name servers on the same machine - but port 53 is not even open.

Be warned - I highly doubt it is OK to run a webserver off of your RR account. Needless to say register a domain to an IP address that you really do not own. I currently know of no cable internet providers that allow this.

In simple terms - When you look for a host be is a host called www on the dbzeta.com domain or www.dbzeta.com there are few things that happen. First off you need to find the name servers for this domain. Yours are listed as ns1.dbzeta.net and ns2.dbzeta.net which is fine and dandy. The problem is, how do I contact these servers?? These servers would be the ones to give me the IP address of the host I am looking for - be it www or ftp, or anything.dbzeta.net Since they are the servers listed as the owners of the domain.

Now since you have name servers that reside in the same domain as your domain - you will need to make some host entries on bigdaddy that give the IP addresses of these servers. And on these server(s) you will need to be running some name server software, be it BIND or Microsoft, etc.. That will answer to questsions about the dbzeta.net domain, be it MX records (where to send mail) or hosts, cnames, etc.. etc..

Once this is setup - when someone on the net tries to go to www.dbzeta.net - the name servers they are using will ask one of your name servers listed for dbzeta.net for the IP address of www. This would end up pointing to your IP address. And then their browser would end up going to your machine.

Vs running your own nameservers - I am sure BigDaddy will act as your name servers as well, and allow you to enter host entries, etc.. If not there are plenty of FREE DNS services that will act as your name servers. Just need to point your domain to one of these servers, after you have setup the info on them.

There are also many free dns services out there - that will allow you to point to IP address by name. Ie dyndns.org - using one of thes free services you could point the name "dbzeta.dyndns.org" to your IP addess and serve up web pages by name that way.

Again - I would make sure you are legally allowed to be serving up anything from your internet connection, before doing so! If all you want to do is serve up some pages, your account should come with space on some RR servers somewhere - and or there are MANY free and very reasonable priced hosts for serving up what you want to serve up at dbzeta.net

A major reason Viruses and Worms spread as they do - is the running of servers by people that really do not understand what they are doing. You can safely run a webserver and name servers on your home network without making it available to the outside world. This will give you the ability to learn and play - before you attempt to make it available to the outside world.

More than happy to help in getting a webserver/nameserver running - and or ins and outs of how DNS works. But you want to make sure you are Legal to host up anything before doing so. And if legal for you to do so - there are many reasons NOT too. Once you open up your home network to serve up a website - you in theory could be opening up any machine on your network to an outside person.