ATI Radeon 9000 Pro in Linux

well I dont like the ati drivers :no: b/c everytime I tried to install them, it messed my config up giving me an error "couldnt load screen" something similar to that

I had a 7500 that I could never get working with any of the ATI drivers. Not the ones included with Mandrake 9. Nor the ones from dri.sourceforge.net. I got a new GF4 TI4200 and have had no problems whatsoever.

ATI does supply its firegl drivers, there's also Xi (pay boo!) , as well as gatos and dri.sourceforge.net which requires a recompile. The Firegl drivers are on ATI's site and i've tried them on my 8500 and they work fine. You need to compile them if you get a only works in 2-d as of yet error. They work as a kernel module.

If the ATI drivers don't work well *now*, why not wait a bit? Surely they'll get better. It doesn't sound like you *have* to play games on it right away? Did you e-mail ATI support - even if they don't support Linux drivers - so that their driver engineers can at least look at the problem?

XFree86 will probably implement the drivers at some point. There is some degree of reverse-engineering - not of the 3d features but of the "2d" features to see how to make it faster than the SVGA drivers. Don't expect screaming performance. XI graphics, www.xi.com, are the only ppl to supply a working version right now but its over $100 US for the X Window client.

Well... there are always the VGA and SVGA drivers. I will guarantee they will work with your brand spankin' new video card ;)