iPod Classic 80GB

Well I got a ipod classic 160GB, but I got it to just be my like portable music hdd that stays in my car and never use it walking around or anything, I use my iphone for that. So I guess I didnt notice these UI slowdowns and stuff since I just control the ipod from my deck..

Hey, thanks for the review. Do you think a case made for the iPod 30GB would fit with the iPod Classic 80GB?

Yeah, the dimensions are literally the same.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely MP3 player and since its a revamped OS, bugs are expected, also another nag: why couldn't they of made is completely aluminum like the 2nd Gen nano? the back is simply for looks which lasts about a day before it gets scratched up. I have dropped my nano so many time, from the upstairs of my house on a concrete floor even! and that has barely left a mark, i really couldn't see my classic even surviving if i dropped it from that height.

Thats because it hard drive base. mode moving part in side that are easy to break. Mine 60GB I had last fall fell off the bed, and landed on a hardwood floor. the screen broke (The plastic cover peace was fine, but the actual screen bellow the cover was scratch. So, since it was still under warentry I got a replacement. another 60GB, but retured it a week later when the 80GB came out.

As with Flash based, more light, thin and less moving parts. BTW, with flash base players what is in side it that stores the ionfomation. a bulit in card or a section on the motherboard?

Ya I was also disappointed with the capacity on the Touch. As a current 30G 5th Gen user, I can't downgrade to 16GB, and there is not enough of a difference between the classic and the 5th gen to warrant me spending money on it.

Any comments on the sound quality of the 6G Classic? I've read a number of threads panning it, and some one actually took the time to do some measurements...

Link

While the 160GB ipod would be sweet, I just want to try out the ipod touch for my self. I went to best buy and they had a demo one up and man it was prety cool. I like the fact you can add diferent backgrounds to the player. mostly all of them are found on the Mac OSX 10.4. a few are "ipod" backgrounds with the rainbow people dancing with an ipod. Of course I think you can add personal photos as the background.

I also like to add I wouldn't consider the ipod classic to be the 6G ipod. More like 5.75G. Reason? Same form factor. updated sizes, new UI and a new front cover peace.other then that its the same old 5G ipod. just updated to the 5.75.

Now, if the next ipod classic sports a new look in the next round, then yeah, that would b a 6G ipod.

We also still don't have a "true" video ipod. Sure all ipods expect the shuffle can play video, but the size of storage is a problem. Sure 80GB and 160GB is fine, but you still have the same old 2.5" screen. Now if the touch sported larger size storage, then I would consider that to be the true "video" ipod.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed lately when I walk with the iPod 80GB the playback sometimes skips slightly, maybe this is to be expected from a hdd based mp3 player, but it really feels like being back to the age of the portable CD players. One would have thought they had come up with some software to ensure continuous playback, something like the shock protection of the old cd players. :hmmm:

Can you buy those traditional iPod cases anywhere now? The ones that used to come free with an iPod

You can probably find the old iPod case on eBay, but why would you want it? It was designed to fit the original iPod, a behemoth in size compared to the classic.

I think this is the most important factor that keeps me away from a iPod :)

the earphones keep you from buying a high-end device?

LOL, sorry, but good earphones start at 20 bucks... that's when you get sennheiser phones which obviously are pretty much always better than the earphones bundled with any other player... ;) :rolleyes:

Can you buy those traditional iPod cases anywhere now? The ones that used to come free with an iPod

no, maybe used on eBay for cheap...

Glassed Silver:mac

edit: / addition:

@Quillz: for the 160GB at least they should fit jst perfectly, considering that those bundled sleeves were created for the thickness of the old 5.5gen 30 and 80GB models...

the 160GB model is just in between those dimension! :)

and i can imagine the classic 80GB fitting in there, too. furthermore its just a sleeve, it hasnt got to closely fit it... a loose fit is ok, too.

I do know why you would wanna get one of them: they cost close to nothing compared to cases... yes there are cheap cases, but they also look cheap or are bulky or not ready for the new 6gen models, as since the cases must closely fit the iPod in contrary to a sleeve which functions like a bag... :)

the earphones keep you from buying a high-end device?

LOL, sorry, but good earphones start at 20 bucks... that's when you get sennheiser phones which obviously are pretty much always better than the earphones bundled with any other player... ;) :rolleyes:

no, maybe used on eBay for cheap...

Glassed Silver:mac

edit: / addition:

@Quillz: for the 160GB at least they should fit jst perfectly, considering that those bundled sleeves were created for the thickness of the old 5.5gen 30 and 80GB models...

the 160GB model is just in between those dimension! :)

and i can imagine the classic 80GB fitting in there, too. furthermore its just a sleeve, it hasnt got to closely fit it... a loose fit is ok, too.

I do know why you would wanna get one of them: they cost close to nothing compared to cases... yes there are cheap cases, but they also look cheap or are bulky or not ready for the new 6gen models, as since the cases must closely fit the iPod in contrary to a sleeve which functions like a bag... :)

I thought the guy was talking about the original case that came with the first iPod, not the sleeve that was included with the fifth gen...

The lack of a certain feature is holding me back from getting a 160GB classic..... and since you all seem to be ipod experts I thought i'd ask in here ;) Is there an accessory or some other way to copy photos from memory cards to the ipod without connecting via a computer? I regularly travel for very long periods without access to a computer, and want to copy my photos from my camera to an ipod (or another mp3 device).

The lack of a certain feature is holding me back from getting a 160GB classic..... and since you all seem to be ipod experts I thought i'd ask in here ;) Is there an accessory or some other way to copy photos from memory cards to the ipod without connecting via a computer? I regularly travel for very long periods without access to a computer, and want to copy my photos from my camera to an ipod (or another mp3 device).

There was such an accessory labeled "iPod Camera Connector", but it's not compatible with iPod Classic.

Has the recent update fixed the laggy menus properly??

Heard that it got better with the latest update.

There was such an accessory labeled "iPod Camera Connector", but it's not compatible with iPod Classic.

Ooo! I hope it gets updated and then i'll be getting both :) Could be my first ipod!

• 2 months later...

Waiting for this iPod to arrive from US (the price here for new Classics: $450 USD).

Looks like should be a good upgrade from my 3 years old 1 gen iPod shuffle :p

Edited by raider360

• 3 weeks later...

Nice review :)

I have had my 80 gb ipod for aobut a month now and havent stopped using it. Love it. Love the solitaire as well :p na all the msuic is well organised, good battery life and havent really had any problems with syncs. I dont use playlists really I jsut listen to albums. I have alot of music so for em to chuck all the songs I like in a playlist woudl take a while.

good review, i was thinking wether to buy ipod touch 16GB or Classic 80GB, as i don't have so much money and classic is cheaper a bit. but if thinking responsibly i'd rather take my time and save money for the touch as it has wi-fi and obviously big screen is attracting me. :)