Change Firefox bookmark folder icons

I like how you can have folders for your bookmarks.. but what I dislike is they are all the same! boring looking folders..

well its time to change that and make your firefox folders look like this:

1423452296_20354cf6b2_o.png

go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*profile name*\chrome

and create A: userChrome.css

enter the following:

[i].bookmark-item[container="true"][label="[b]NAME OF FOLDER[/b]"] {
  list-style-image: url('file:///*[b]LOCATION OF ICON[/b]*) !important;
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px 16px 16px 0px) !important;
}[/i]

here is an example:

.bookmark-item[container=true][label=Dailys] {

list-style-image: url('file:///C:/Documents/Tools/FFI/home.png') !important;

}

.bookmark-item[container=true][label=Favorites] {

list-style-image: url('file:///C:/Documents/Tools/FFI/favorits.png') !important;

}

This will show my first 2 folders: Dailys and Favorites.. remember to repeat the code to change the icons of the folders.. its a quite easy and simple trick that I thought I might share :)

I'd put the images in the same folder as the userchrome.css file, saves having to fix it up if the folder ever gets moved (and in case you're using portable firefox, keeps working over computers)

Could also use a data: URI.

Anyway, nice and simple (Y)

Ya this looks pretty nice. However if there is an update to firefox, does this get wiped?

It shouldn't do since it is stored in the userChrome.css, which doesn't get touched by updates form what I know.

Nice one though, I will have to try it out when I have some time and have found a nice icon to use.

• 1 month later...

Dear Jase, sorry but that does NOT seem to work at all! :o

First of all, you failed to mention that in order to create a proper userChrome.CSS, you need to keep the @namespace url line! Second, I've tried several times your nice code programing to no avail. Here is a full copy of the css file I created:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

.bookmark-item[container=true][label=XXX | News] {

list-style-image: url('file:///C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My documents\drap-it.02.png) !important;

}

This is a cut and paste of the css, so what's wrong? Whenever I open Firefox 2.0, I have my bookmarks folders neatly stacked on the left, and the one I desperately try to change the icon of is style in the same boring, standard style despite the userChrome.css coded as stated above. Help! And thanks for anyone able to figure out what I did wrong! ;)

Edited by JackTorrance

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Or, install the "Favicon Picker 2" extension and be able to adjust icons at will.

does not work with folder icons, only bookmark icons.

• 3 months later...

Thank you, Jase. I have been looking for this folder modifcation for a long time, and FINALLY found it here. It worked perfectly for me, just as you described. And as I am one of those people who nests bookmark folders several layers deep, I am loving Firefox much more now. Thanks again!

:)

-Rene Flores

Austin, TX

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you, Jase. I have been looking for this folder modifcation for a long time, and FINALLY found it here. It worked perfectly for me, just as you described. And as I am one of those people who nests bookmark folders several layers deep, I am loving Firefox much more now. Thanks again!

:)

-Rene Flores

Austin, TX

you're welcome!

• 5 months later...

Thanks Jase,

First I tried everything to change my folder icons.

I was using just one code,example:

.bookmark-item[container=true][label=dev] {

list-style-image: url('file:///C:/1.ico') !important;

}

Then I thought may be writing "at least 2 codes" is the secret of changing folder icons...(Because Jase wrote 2 codes)

After that I wrote code for 2 folder icon.

.bookmark-item[container=true][label=dev] {

list-style-image: url('file:///C:/1.ico') !important;

}

.bookmark-item[container=true][label=resim] {

list-style-image: url('file:///C:/2.ico') !important;

}

Finally the problem solved :D.Don't know was that luck or right decision.

Try to write code for 2 or more folder icon.

If anyone solves their problem by my method please write it here.Because I want to know if it is right or wrong.

Thanks again Jase :)