• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:23

Is there anything I can do to reduce the size of the winsxs folder ?

Currently I have a winsxs folder of 6.5 GB, wich is over half the size of my total windows folder... searches on the winsxs folder didn't help me much. and it seems like there's a lot of stuff I have absilutely no use for in there.

#2 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 26 September 2007 - 17:59

the folder is for apps that are side by side,do not touch it unless you know what you are doing.

#3 raskren

raskren

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:00

the folder is for apps that are side by side,do not touch it unless you know what you are doing.

Can you clarify what that means please?

#4 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 26 September 2007 - 21:19

That's the native assembly cache. Libraries which are shared by multiple programs are stored there. It's the magic thing that (more or less) fixed "DLL Hell."

Deleting anything in there will probably break apps on your system, and could prevent your entire system from working properly. Don't mess with it.

#5 Pikey

Pikey

Neowinian

Posted 26 September 2007 - 21:30

Here's a pretty good explanation ... (he's talking about XP but the same principle applies in Vista)

http://www.davidleni.../07/winsxs.html

#6 blued

blued

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:00

Mine is about 1.6gb. Cleared out much of it with Vlite during the install. Much of its bulk is useless, like foreign language packs, but other stuff is vital.

#7 Northgrove

Northgrove

Philosophizing Developer

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:11

The safest way to clean it out is by simply uninstalling apps in your system via Add/Remove Programs, I'm afraid. I can understand if some apps leave those files there too, though, even after uninstall, just because it's usually DLL's intended to be shared between apps that resides there. So some/many may be left behind even if no app no longer use them. But I'm not aware of a "safe" way to detect which are used by actual installed apps or not.

#8 scuderiaconchiglia

scuderiaconchiglia

Neowinian

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:03

I understand the concept of WinSXS but why do I need to have 7 count 'em 7 versions of iexplore.exe there? I use a web based app that periodically scans my machine to be sure I have the most recent version of applications and drivers. Today when it ran it found these 7 instances. This makes NO sense. I understand multiple instances of the same DLL, but not this.

Gary

#9 Grope for Luna

Grope for Luna

Erotic Vulture

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:09

You can search for video files there and delete them.

#10 Mordkanin

Mordkanin

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:12

I understand the concept of WinSXS but why do I need to have 7 count 'em 7 versions of iexplore.exe there? I use a web based app that periodically scans my machine to be sure I have the most recent version of applications and drivers. Today when it ran it found these 7 instances. This makes NO sense. I understand multiple instances of the same DLL, but not this.

Gary

Just leave it alone, and don't question why it does the things the way it does: Mucking about with that folder is literally begging Vista to stop working properly.

#11 scuderiaconchiglia

scuderiaconchiglia

Neowinian

Posted 12 December 2007 - 18:37

Just leave it alone, and don't question why it does the things the way it does: Mucking about with that folder is literally begging Vista to stop working properly.

Oh, I realize that, but it just seems BIZARRE that it would keep 7 versions of an application. Again, I understand the need to keep multiple versions of a DLL (I am an MCSP), but why an application??? No other app is going to be able to request a specific version of an EXE file like it can a DLL. This just appears to be bloat for bloats sake.

Anyone have any technical insight into why Vista is keeping copies of EXE's in WinSXS?

Gary

#12 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:28

it helps to avoid app compatability problems and dll hell problems,leave it alone as windows will manage it for you.

#13 null_

null_

Removed

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:36

Oh, I realize that, but it just seems BIZARRE that it would keep 7 versions of an application. Again, I understand the need to keep multiple versions of a DLL (I am an MCSP), but why an application??? No other app is going to be able to request a specific version of an EXE file like it can a DLL. This just appears to be bloat for bloats sake.

Anyone have any technical insight into why Vista is keeping copies of EXE's in WinSXS?

Gary

Quite possibly from different Windows Updates being applied that are being cached (they may also be cached in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution). It's basically a backup mechanism to make sure that everything works correctly. WinSxS keeps copies of different versions of DLL's in case an application explicitly requires or requests one. Leave it alone.

#14 Mordkanin

Mordkanin

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:41

Gary

Well, you can call functions and access resources in EXEs the same way you can from DLLs (You generally don't use EXEs as libraries like that, but you certainly can.).

The only real difference between DLLs and EXEs is that DLLs don't contain entry points, so they can't be executed by themselves.

#15 fatech

fatech

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:52

Quite possibly from different Windows Updates being applied that are being cached (they may also be cached in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution). It's basically a backup mechanism to make sure that everything works correctly. WinSxS keeps copies of different versions of DLL's in case an application explicitly requires or requests one. Leave it alone.

I set about once to delete the ENTIRE folder. I deleted a good amount, and could still reboot and work normally. But at some point, and I'm not sure when---a reboot led to a reboot-loop. The ONLY way to determine what is safe and what is not safe to delete from that folder is by trial and error, careful documentation, and the patience to reinstall Vista a gazilion times. But...oh the fame that awaits the person who can write the definitive guide on this, like that fellow did with "slimming down XP".

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!