Large winsxs folder

If anyone interested, here's a complete analysis of my winsxs using flextk express. The sytem is Vista Home Premium 32 bit and I've been using it since December 2007 (not even 1 year old).

flex_tk.jpg

Funny thing is, there is SimCity entry in it (at the bottom)! I never play/install any Sim series! :shiftyninja:

Full report in the attachment..

winsxs_report.html

Lets point out the IMPORTANT info here that might get looked over by most users.

"The WinSxS folder is the only location that the component is found on the system, all other instances of the files that you see on the system are ?projectedby hard linking from the component store. Let me repeat that last point there is only one instance (or full data copy) of each version of each file in the OS, and that instance is located in the WinSxS folder."

When users ask why is the Windows folder so big -- and why is winsxs so large..

Its quite possible the tool your using to break down your used space is not correct.. That DLL you see in windows\system32 you think is taking up hard drive space, so why is there another copy in the winsxs folder as well.. Since its a LINK to the actual dll in the winsxs folder -- it does not actually take up the 32k or 100k or whatever it is.. Its just a LINK..

also some apps may need multiple versions or an older version to work.by having a winsxs folder the app can work because the winsxs(store)has what the app needs and why it is best to leave that folder alone to do it's job.