35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

[size=3][b]Halo 3 Reaches $170 Million In First Day Sales[/b][/size]

Halo 3 Reaches $170 Million In First Day Sales Microsoft has announced that its Halo 3 has sold an estimated $170 million in its first day, making it "the biggest entertainment launch in history," noting that it has now beat out opening day theatrical releases of Spider-Man 3 and novels like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The sales are generally in line with analyst expectations, with Lazard analyst Colin Sebastian estimating sales would quickly reach $200 million.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter stated that he anticipates that the title will be September's top release, expecting sales of over 3 million units in its first 12 days.

The game took more than 1.7 million copies in preorder sales, Microsoft says, surpassing the previous record-setting pre-orders for Halo 2.

The release has garnered praise from retailers as well, with GameStop merchandising VP Bob McKenzie saying in Microsoft's release that the title is expected to be "the biggest video game title generator in GameStop's history."

Again labeling the release a "pop-culture phenomenon, Edited by Spartan_X

Posted

Wow, that's a whole lot of Halo.

Posted

Wow. I'm not surprised though.

Posted

WOW! thats all i can say, congrats to bungie and MS, i wonder how much they get in 1 week?? :o The US did get Halo 3 one day before the UK so im wondering what the Global intake will be.... $$$+

Posted

wow! crazy thats awsome though great game!

Posted

For The Win! :cool:

Awesome news :)

Posted

As expected. I know many people that got a 360 for this games release, one of those being me.

Posted

[color="#2E8B57"][b]Thread cleaned[/b][/color]

Posted

It beat Spider-Man 3 and Harry Potter? No way.

Posted

[quote name='planetik' post='588878504' date='Sep 27 2007, 01:46']It beat Spider-Man 3 and Harry Potter? No way.[/quote]

ya, remember that a game is like 5/6 times as much as a ticket for a movie

Posted

[quote name='planetik' post='588878504' date='Sep 27 2007, 00:46']It beat Spider-Man 3 and Harry Potter? No way.[/quote]

I'm not even sure Spiderman 3 made $170M in it's first weekend, much less the first 24 hours. And Harry Potter cost about 3x less than Halo.

You guys can call them fanboys, but no matter how you cut it, Halo is one of those franchises that stands out from the rest, for whatever reason or another, and just like, say, Mario, it'll probably still be played for many, many years to come, more than any other game out there. (Yes, I just compared the epic-ness of the original Mario to the epic-ness of Halo, and I do think it's a good comparison).

-Spenser

Posted

I wonder how many of the $130 LE were sold.

Posted

What's your point stifler6478? Businesses measure success through profit, not exactly the amount of customers they have. It's all about the amount of money people around the world were willing to spend. No point in pretending it's not a tremendous achivement. Biggest entertainment launch in history? Yes. In need of future game updates? Yes.

Posted

That's insanely impressive. I wonder how many copies will be sold by christmas and stuff... just imagine if everyone xbox 360 owner buys halo 3... that would be glorious to see

Posted

[quote name='illz55' post='588878534' date='Sep 27 2007, 00:53']What's your point stifler6478? Businesses measure success through profit, not exactly the amount of customers they have. It's all about the amount of money people around the world were willing to spend. No point in pretending it's not a tremendous achivement. Biggest entertainment launch in history? Yes. In need of future game updates? Yes.[/quote]

:blink: I wasn't pretending it wasn't tremendous. I'm a Halo fanboy if there ever was one, and I'm not afraid to admit it. The guy was just surprised it beat out those two so I explained why. Chill out.

-Spenser

Posted

[quote name='TDQuiksilver' post='588878509' date='Sep 27 2007, 01:47']:laugh: (Y)[/quote]

TD mate, I think you might be...

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/gavdeeimages/196936GlNK_w.jpg[/img]

Work it out :p

Posted

queston... does every store phone MS and say "we sold ...." ?

if not then how can they telll... :huh:

Posted

Bungie must be looted with $$$$ right about now. (Y)

Posted

[quote name='Audioboxer' post='588878561' date='Sep 27 2007, 02:02']TD mate, I think you might be...

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/gavdeeimages/196936GlNK_w.jpg[/img]

Work it out :p[/quote]

The stench grows every day with this'un!

BTW, treadmilling on water? :unsure:

Posted

[quote name='DrunknMunky' post='588878575' date='Sep 27 2007, 02:06']The stench grows every day with this'un!

BTW, treadmilling on water? :unsure:[/quote]

Pffft. GET IT RIGHT, or you ruin the joke :cry:

"Treading on hot water"

* Spoiler added in respect for those who wish to work it out themselves :p
** lol, treadmilling on water... you crack me up :laugh:

Posted

[quote name='Audioboxer' post='588878582' date='Sep 27 2007, 02:09']Pffft. GET IT RIGHT, or you ruin the joke :cry:[/quote]

D'oh of course lol

Posted

whoa thats alot of money i wouldnt mind having 1 million of that money

Posted

workers at bungie must be freaking happy with the money they're going to get :p

Posted

[quote name='DrunknMunky' post='588878589' date='Sep 27 2007, 02:11']D'oh of course lol[/quote]

[img]http://www.housing.uoguelph.ca/~jflahert/handclap.gif[/img]

Oh boy, Barney is going to have his work cut out for him again :/

Posted

[quote name='sCrAtCh420th' post='588878592' date='Sep 27 2007, 03:13']whoa thats alot of money i wouldnt mind having 1 million of that money[/quote]

Yeah i feel you, because 1 Million worth of Halo 3 money is like ... KABLAAM in real-world money.

:p