anyone know any good books about the universe?

hey

i'm interested in finding out about theories of the universe, such as the idea that space bends so you can never reach the edge of the universe and basically things from how/when it was made to black holes etc.

also if anyone has any theories or information feel free to post it i'm interested in hearing peoples views.

also anyone know alot about quantum mechanics and can explain it to me or point me in the direction of a book about it (something not to complicated)

Thanks.

Any astronomy book would fit you.

I'm currently using Astronomy: A beginners' guide to the Universe, and though I feel like a noob (which I am), I'm learning tons of new things, and after I finish with that book, I'll move onto something more complex.

i saw a really good book about NASA and their astromical discoveries the past 10 yrs....its was amazing

just wish i could remember its name, will post to let you know

Oh my god, this is my area!

Ok, so I'll try to list as many as I can:

The Universe in a nutshell

The Fabric of the Cosmos

Contact

The Elegant Universe (This is my #1 book)

Cosmos

Billions and Billions

A brief History of Time

AHHH there are so many, I can't name them all, but I hope this helps.

Two good documentary series that I can think of are 'What We Still Don't Know' and 'Time'.

There are some pretty interesting Horizon episodes on the subject too (the older ones are better).

definitely recommend A Brief History Of Time. It's a very technical book, but it is phenomenal.

I read that on my 13th birthday (I think it was 13th)

Gave me a hell of a headache. I kept trying to work stuff out in my head visually and came up with loads of infinites. Ouch.

But it's a good read. Give yourself a week to kinda almost understand each chapter though ;)

ah good idea =)

can you reccommend me any documentaries?

I'm only recommending the one's that I've seen & love.

All these are available on DVD

Carl Sagan's Cosmos

The Elegant Universe

The Planets

Hyperspace

Life Beyond Earth

IMAX Cosmic Voyage

The Expanding Universe

This one isn't on DVD but I'm sure you can get a hold of it somehow.

What We Still Don't Know

The 3 I REALLY recommend is The Elegant Universe, What We Still Don't Know, & Cosmos.

thanks alot for the reccomendations =)

i'm gonna check out the 3 you highly reccomend lqv2015, i'l let you know what i thought of them when i've watched them =)

thanks again.

Cosmic Voyage = Best documentary

All because its narrated by Morgan Freeman.

LOL, but really, Cosmic Voyage opens your eyes pretty good if its the first documentary you see on astronomy.

Just watched part one of the Elegant Universe, it was very interesting thanks everyone who reccomended it to me =)

i plan on watching parts 2 and 3 later.

so what are you're opinions on this 'string theory'?

It would be cool if it were true I guess. The thing is though, that it doesn't actually mean anything. String theory doesn't allow us to actually predict anything, and there is no actual proof for its existence. I'm more interested in super particle theory right now, and if that gets proven, then we can move on to string theory. For now, it's just a pipe dream.

Just watched part one of the Elegant Universe, it was very interesting thanks everyone who reccomended it to me =)

i plan on watching parts 2 and 3 later.

so what are you're opinions on this 'string theory'?

Good maths, needs more evidence.

the LHC should help, and if it doesn't, build a bigger one!

• 2 weeks later...