Need help with Mopar slant six engine

I don't know if this is even where to ask this question, but it seems logical.

Are there any old Chrysler people around?

I've got a 1972 Plymouth Valiant with a 225ci slant six.

When I bought the car, the engine did not run. It was rigged with a hand wired 'starter button' that would run the starter and nothing else. The wiring had been all ripped up and the tumbler wouldn't run the starter.

So far I've upgraded the stock points ignition to an electronic ignition robbed out of a 1975 Dart.

Now, the wiring in this car is still all screwed up but hotwiring the car to power the ignition coil and running the starter we've been able to establish the the plugs are indeed sparking. I'm confident I've got the firing order right. A friend of mine set the timing, and we also tried advancing the timing back and forth several times.

However, the motor never ran. The starter just grinded away.

There is definitely gas in the car, and the carb is getting gas. You can see it and smell it. Same friend also gave gas straight to the carb out of a gas can. No dice.

If I put the distributor a certain way (and I have no idea how far advanced that is) the engine will kind of hickup as the starter runs. I thought maybe it was misfiring or something. I can't be sure.

So, what am I missing? Is there something I should be doing or looking at or trying that I'm not?

Thanks in advance.

Im not really to sure but im going to try and throw a few things out there...

YOur posotive the fire sequence is correct?

IS it possible you flooded the engine with so much gas in the cylindars there may not be a proper fuel air mixture

Is the cam in good shape, do the cylindars actually rotate as there supposed to with the starter?

Have you checked to make sure the valves are clean, dirty valves can stop then enigine from firing

Have you checked the choke on the engine? I dont no much about that engine but its usually put the gas pedal all the way to floor to open the choke

also, it may still be your wiring with the computer?

The choke sits open all the time. I have no idea how the choke is supposed to work. Or really how the carb works. It's a one barrel Holley, by the way.

I considered the possibility of flooding, but what am I supposed to do about it if it is flooded? As the starter runs and the motor goes through the motions you can feel a rush of air coming out of the first spark plug hole.

I don't have a very thorough understanding of inner motor workings, as you can perhaps tell.

I will look at the valves. I don't know how to get at the cam.

The choke sits open all the time. I have no idea how the choke is supposed to work. Or really how the carb works. It's a one barrel Holley, by the way.

I considered the possibility of flooding, but what am I supposed to do about it if it is flooded? As the starter runs and the motor goes through the motions you can feel a rush of air coming out of the first spark plug hole.

I don't have a very thorough understanding of inner motor workings, as you can perhaps tell.

I will look at the valves. I don't know how to get at the cam.

IF its really badly flooded you can remove the spark plugs and crank the engine and the fluids will shoot out the spark plug holes.... I dont think you should be able to feel air coming out of the sparkplug hole at all...it should be a sealed unit.

IF its really badly flooded you can remove the spark plugs and crank the engine and the fluids will shoot out the spark plug holes.... I dont think you should be able to feel air coming out of the sparkplug hole at all...it should be a sealed unit.

I can feel a rush of air because I've taken the first spark plug out (to time the distributor to fire the first plug when the engine cranks to top dead center.)

It sounds like the distributor is off a tooth or so. Check your alignment of your timing. You need a Haynes manual, to assist you in checking your work.

have you tried taking a spark plug out and try to crank the engine while a buddy is up front to see if fire is getting to the plug?.

Have you checked to see if the gas line or gas filter is clogged up?.

It sounds like the distributor is off a tooth or so. Check your alignment of your timing. You need a Haynes manual, to assist you in checking your work.

Okay. I'm not going to be able to go pick up a Haynes manual right away, but I'm fairly sure I can find equivelant resources on this here internet.

I'll try to look up the correct distributor arrangement and see what I can do. I appreciate your input.

Probably I should have let someone who knows what they're doing install my new distributor. :\

have you tried taking a spark plug out and try to crank the engine while a buddy is up front to see if fire is getting to the plug?.

Have you checked to see if the gas line or gas filter is clogged up?.

We have indeed taken the #1 plug out and ensured that it fires. I've also taken the #2 out. My next guess was to check all the other plugs, but I didn't know if that was really necessary.

I have not checked the gas line. I'm not sure exactly how to do so. But the carb is getting fuel, and I have tried fueling the carb by hand.

first, hello from Washington ;)

Second, have you ever removed the distributor completely? You can put the darn thing back 180deg off (deceptively fits right back in as if proper) and get some interesting results because of it. Testing this out is rather easy and quick and it'd be one more thing to cross off the list.

first, hello from Washington ;)

Second, have you ever removed the distributor completely? You can put the darn thing back 180deg off (deceptively fits right back in as if proper) and get some interesting results because of it.

Hello!

Yes, I just upgraded to a {new} distributor. I was also aware of the possibility of installing it 180 degrees off. But if the vacuum attachment is pointing the same way as the old one does that mean it's the same? Additionally, I know for sure that the first two spark plugs {or 1 + 5 I believe they are officially numbered} are sparking at the right point of the rotation. I thought because of these details that I could rule that out. You think it's still possible?

hmm... I would say your logic's on the right track but it's never a bad idea to be safe.

2256firingjn8.gif

The firing order should be: 1-5-3-6-2-4, (The 1 cyl. being closest to the firewall & the no.6 cyl at the front of the car. The No.'s are in line from 1 to 6.) also have you checkd the ballast resistor? See here: http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78912

Edited by firecracker6

I think you mean #1 is closest to the front of the car and 6 at the firewall. That's what the diagram says.

I used this same diagram to wire mine.

I'm using the four post ballast resistor that came with the car. I'm assuming the resistor is good since I'm getting a spark.

I can no longer get the engine to spin. The starter just clicks. I removed it and made sure it was working and found out that the gears on both the starter and the starter gear have gotten munched somehow.

I think I'm just going to call it quits and replace the block. I've got another 225 slant six lined up to replace this one. I just really wanted to avoid the work and the expense.

Thanks for the advice, everybody.