Woman Sues Over Apple's iPhone Price Cut

Incensed Over iPhone's $200 Price Cut, Woman Sues Apple for $1M

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- A New York woman is so angry at Apple Inc. for lopping $200 off the price of the iPhone that she's filed a lawsuit seeking $1 million in damages.

Dongmei Li of Queens, N.Y., claimed the company violated price discrimination laws when it slashed the price of the 8-gigabyte iPhone by a third, from $599 to $399, within two months of the gadget's June debut.

click here

Apple lowered the iPhone's price on Sept. 5 and also said it would stop selling the $499 4-gigabyte model. Hundreds of early customers who paid full price didn't expect a reduction so soon and complained.

Apple issued an apology the next day. Under its return policy, Apple refunded the $200 difference for those who bought the phone within 14 days of the reduction. And in a move to make peace with those who purchased the higher-priced phone before that period, the company offered a $100 credit at Apple stores.

According to Li's lawsuit, filed on Sept. 24 in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, the price reduction injured early purchasers like herself because they cannot resell the product for the same profit as those who bought the cell phone following the price cut.

Li purchased a 4GB iPhone for $499 and alleged that owners of the 4GB model were given less favorable terms than those who bought the 8GB model at the premium price, according to the lawsuit.

Apple spokeswoman Susan Lundgren declined to comment, citing the company's policy to not discuss pending litigation.

The lawsuit also named AT&T Inc., the exclusive carrier in the U.S. for the iPhone, and alleged the two companies' required two-year service contract for the iPhone constituted unfair business practices.

Mark Siegel, an AT&T spokesman, declined to comment, saying he had not yet seen the lawsuit.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071002/apple_iphon...wsuit.html?.v=2

what a BS

That's what you get for spending 500 dollars on a phone IMO.

No, that's what you get for being an early adopter of technology. All technology is expensive when it first comes out, especially from Apple. Anyone who's ever bought Apple products should know that you're going to be paying more than what you would from other companies.

Of course Apple isn't the only one who does this, but they are one of the larger offenders.

The woman is a moron.

I purchased a lawnmower 18 months ago, then it got reduced by ?50 6 days later, I was cheesed off, however didn't think about suing bnq.

I bet she is one of those people that must have the 'latest, all singing all dancing gadget', that is cheesed off she has gone down a rung in the must have gadgets.

I bet a lot of people here just wait for the xmas sales or a drop in prices when buying computer components, which is a good idea as what goes up must come down when a newer item arrives on the shelf, it's called 'retail'.

O.o not flaming but.. "another typical American"

You do realize that there are 300,000,000+ Americans, right? I'd say the % of people who actually sue someone or a company is pretty small. The only reason we hear about it is because of the amount of news coverage and how fast news travels these days.

That and the fact that America is built on the dream of getting rich quick. What better way to do it than sue someone? But don't say typical American. Not everyone, in fact most probably don't, go sue happy.

O.o not flaming but.. "another typical American"

If your not flaming, what exactly are you doing?

I'm an American and I'm not sue happy. If something doesn't go my way or something seems a miss with the way I was treated, yeah I'll seek action but I don't exactly go head over to my lawyer's office just because something peeves me off. If that was the case you'd have a notice from my lawyer saying you peeved me off with your little sentence.

You do realize that there are 300,000,000+ Americans, right? I'd say the % of people who actually sue someone or a company is pretty small. The only reason we hear about it is because of the amount of news coverage and how fast news travels these days.

That and the fact that America is built on the dream of getting rich quick. What better way to do it than sue someone? But don't say typical American. Not everyone, in fact most probably don't, go sue happy.

Way more then 300 million americans... since you have to include canada and mexico in that... they are "Americans" too technically... now if you mean the USA then that is different... I don't really like when people use the generic term americans... which is a ton more people then just the USA..

Way more then 300 million americans... since you have to include canada and mexico in that... they are "Americans" too technically... now if you mean the USA then that is different... I don't really like when people use the generic term americans... which is a ton more people then just the USA..

Depends. From Dictionary.com (same in the paper ones too):

A?mer?i?can /əˈmɛrɪkən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-mer-i-kuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?adjective

1. of or pertaining to the United States of America or its inhabitants: an American citizen.

2. of or pertaining to North or South America; of the Western Hemisphere: the American continents.

3. of or pertaining to the aboriginal Indians of North and South America, usually excluding the Eskimos, regarded as being of Asian ancestry and marked generally by reddish to brownish skin, black hair, dark eyes, and prominent cheekbones.

?noun

4. a citizen of the United States of America.

5. a native or inhabitant of the Western Hemisphere.

6. an Indian of North or South America.

7. American English.

8. a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, four driving wheels, and no rear truck.

#1 and #4 support that "American" refers to a person who lives in the USA.

#2 and (pretty much) #5 support what you said.

I do believe that to say American .. it is not as "generic [a] term" as you would think and that to most of the population, it means a person that lives in the United States of America.

What is the specific term to refer to someone from the USA?

Britain = British

France = French

Canada = Canadian

United States of America = American

don't forget South America....

There's a few dozen million Canadians and Mexicans behind you who'd like a quiet word with you. Please try to ignore the rope the one at the front is holding... ;)

I thought they were offering rebates.

AFAIK, Apple handed out $100 to the early adopters of the 8GB model. They realized how stupid it was to have a 4GB model and nixed it, however, they did nothing to help the early adopters of the 4GB models, which cost just as much as the 8GB now.

I said it before and I'll say it again, technology moves fast, but not that fast. However much it costs Apple to make the iPhone, do you really think that technology moved so fast that the parts inside of it were reduced in only two short months, allowing Apple to still make a profit and reduce the cost by 1/3rd? No, that was mark-up greed, plain and simple. Yes, they're aiming to make a profit, any person in any business capacity is, but again, technology does not move that fast and it was simply getting greedy behind all the hype, which people bought into. That, however, doesn't justify a $1 million lawsuit. That's just dumb.

this women is a complete idiot....first she's an idiot for rushing out and spending 500.00...then she became more of an idiot because they ran out of the 8g model...so she just had to have an iPhone and got the 4g model...now shes a total idiot for thinking she can sue...whats next...this moron going to sue General Motors because the price of a car gone up since 1943 prices.