Distro for the school

Don't use debian. It's totally old and outdated by default.

Its not old, the newest release was last month. The reason it does not have new experemental stuff is becuase its the only stable distro. Security updates are on in a matter of hours and are idiotically simple to install.

Sorry, I agree with him. Debian is slow as snail to get things update.

Its because they are aiming at stability and don't include the latest pre-alpha :rolleyes: packages with their distro.

Doesn't matter, even thought products are very stable to use and they are still slow to update compare to other Linux distros and BSD.

Have you ever used Debian?

Security problems are fixed in a matter of hours. If you mean applications its because its aimed at stability, and the version numbers usually stay the same when they appy fixes to the sources (i.e php 4.1.2)

I don't care about your loyal of Debian. PHP 4.1.2 vs 4.3.0 are HUGE different, which it's highly recommend to upgrade. Frankly, I don't care if they fix 4.1.2, but 4.3.0 fixed and improvement number of things than 4.1.2. 4.3.0 is already very stable to use, so hello?

I do like Debian, but they are too behind to catch things up these day.

Ever heard the term dont fix it if it aint broke?

Just because it has more features does not mean its better.

If the package maintainer decides its better to upgrade to the newest version, they will. Take the Apache package for example, its called 1.3.26 in the Debian database, but it has all the fixes that are in Apache 1.3.27, get my point?

Ouch, you hurted your point pretty bad. While we were chatted about PHP, your point has been failed. PHP 4.3.0 is pretty important release, which it has number of things improvement such as OOP, GD, tons of bug fixed and etc.

Ever heard the term dont fix it if it aint broke?

Just because it has more features does not mean its better.

Please, this quote is complete sucks and pointless. Improvement without break means very good rather than leave it alone. Make it better means, they fix the things.

If the package maintainer decides its better to upgrade to the newest version, they will.

Oh, they think about themselves? Or, they are building for the users? I am sure, a lot of them rather to have PHP 4.3.0. Tell me, how many Linux distros/BSD already have update the PHP? 95% of them already have, but not Debian.

Take the Apache package for example, its called 1.3.26 in the Debian database, but it has all the fixes that are in Apache 1.3.27, get my point?

Now, you have the very small point. I agree, the small patch will be good enough. There are a lot of apps that are need to update, peroid.

Don't use debian. Since its for school your teachers will probably do just fine with KDE and mandrake/suse/redhat. those are definently slower that others but easiest to install,up to date,and very much like windows.

I still prefer gentoo because its several times faster and boots really fast but the hassle of having to emerge everything and manually edit configuration files to get stuff to work, and resolve certain dependencies if using GRP (which saves hours). In my opinion unless you want a speed demon go with the above distros that take only half hour to install with everything on it. Whichever one you choose, you MUST make a custom kernel ;) No way getting around that :p

Dude, go with Mandrake 7.1. I had it running WITH X, on a 150Mhz, 32Mb RAM, and a 1.5Gb hard drive, and it was smooth. Just about anything newer then that and you are gonna lag yourself to death.

Mandrake 9 = To big.

Red Hat 8 = See above.

SuSe = 7 CD install, I think not!

As for Debain/Slack/Gentoo, unless you have *nix experience, don't use them. Hell, you might want to look into Free BSD. Nice and stable.

While we were chatted about PHP, your point has been failed. PHP 4.3.0 is pretty important release, which it has number of things improvement such as OOP, GD, tons of bug fixed and etc

OOP was in PHP a long time ago. You can compile the gd library since php 3.0.x, and all those bug fixes are applied to the package anyways.

Please, this quote is complete sucks and pointless. Improvement without break means very good rather than leave it alone. Make it better means, they fix the things.

Remember PHP-Nuke in PHP 4.2.x problems? It seemed to break alot of things and make lots of people re-write their scripts. As did the switch from 3.x.

Oh, they think about themselves? Or, they are building for the users? I am sure, a lot of them rather to have PHP 4.3.0. Tell me, how many Linux distros/BSD already have update the PHP? 95% of them already have, but not Debian.

E-mail the author if you want an update, I dont see anybody requesting it in the Debian newwsgroups.

There are a lot of apps that are need to update, peroid

Again, its latest code VS stability...

While we were chatted about PHP, your point has been failed. PHP 4.3.0 is pretty important release, which it has number of things improvement such as OOP, GD, tons of bug fixed and etc..

OOP was in PHP a long time ago. You can compile the gd library since php 3.0.x, and all those bug fixes are applied to the package anyways.

Man, that show you know nothing about PHP.. I am talking about improvement of OOP, GD and etc.. They aren't "just" fix bugs; they are improvement, faster and better! Ex:

http://www.php.net/ZEND_CHANGES.txt

http://www.php.net/release_4_3_0.php

http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php

Remember PHP-Nuke in PHP 4.2.x problems? It seemed to break alot of things and make lots of people re-write their scripts. As did the switch from 3.x.

Do you know why? Because, it's more secure that way, which it's relating with global register and etc.. You don't have to rewrite, you just have to tweak a little on some area that need to change. It's not hard at all.

E-mail the author if you want an update, I dont see anybody requesting it in the Debian newwsgroups.

Nope, it's not my problem. I don't use Debian nor pre-binary stuff. I rather to compile anything on my own or some script that will compile (ie: ports and portage), because it gives me the more options and choice and faster.

There are a lot of apps that are need to update, peroid

Again, its latest code VS stability...

Err? From what I read your comments so far, you are just ignorant (sp?). PHP v4.3.0, Apache v1.3.27, XFree86 v4.2.1 and etc are already stable to use. I am done with this topic.

pfft Debian is good :)

If you want the latest stuff just run sid/unstable (which is perfectly stable)

If you want a fast system simply download debian source packages and apt-get will compile them for you.

As for your PHP thing, if you were wanting to run 4.3 on Debian, just download it and compile it... simple. I think the only people who are going to give a rats bottom about having PHP 4.3 will compile it themselves anyway if they can't get packages.

We installed RedHat 8.0 on a computer in the school library yesterday. The specs on the comp were as follows:

PII 450MHz

128MB RAM

16MB Video

8GB Hard Drive

The computer teacher is impressed, but this is probably the only machine in the school that will have Linux on it - for now. It is available for students to try.