Playstation 3: 100x Faster than Pentium 4

Deal puts Rambus in future PlayStation

By Michael Kanellos

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

January 6, 2003, 3:33 PM PT

Sony and Toshiba have licensed technology from Rambus that likely will be incorporated into a future version of the PlayStation game console.

The two Japanese giants have licensed "Yellowstone," a high-speed interface for connecting memory to microprocessors, and "Redwood," a chip-to-chip connection, from the processor designer, the companies said.

Both Yellowstone and Redwood would be used to enhance the broadband capabilities of "Cell," a complex microprocessor that will likely power an upcoming version of Sony's PlayStation.

Cell, which is expected to come out in late 2004 or early 2005, substantially differs from current chips on the market. Developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba, the processor will contain multiple chips inside a single piece of silicon and will be geared toward delivering video, entertainment, interactive gaming and other content. It will have the ability to do north of 1 trillion mathematical calculations per second, roughly 100 times more than a single Pentium 4 chip running at 2.5GHz.

Whole story here...

Source: C|Net - News.com

:o that is gonna be one kick ass machine

This will be one kick ass machine indeed, but how much is it going to cost this time around? $1000AUD? :unsure:

(PS2 was $700AUD when it first came out here in australia ) :blink: :wacko:

holy sh!t...take that xbox :p

i don't see why xbox should be worried atm :wacko:, The PS3 design is still only on paper ;)

I wonder if the ps3 will be compatible with ps1 and ps2 games :huh:

I don't want to ruin this fanboy parade......BUT

XBOX Next will come out before PS3. Sony will not have the benefit of a whole year's of sales at their optimum price.(Read: Microsoft will starve them, because their system will cost less to make, and be on the market first, and are going to start a very deadly price war. 40 Billion cash on hand, and a cheaper hardware product. ouch)

Do you see Microsoft leaking information about their hardware? Nope. They don't need to. Sony is already playing catch, and they know they are behind, so they are trying to spread the word about a product 2 years down the road. Hmmmmm.

XBOX Next will take less than 1/4th the development costs of PS3. (XBOX Next will continue to use mainstream PC parts, processors, video cards, without Microsoft having to spent a dime in development costs or testing, parts are already thoroughly tested by PC users daily, and already mass produced for use in PCs.

XBOX Next will continue to be the easiest to code for, with most developers already having the knowledge they need to code for the XBOX. PS3 will have at least another 6 months of game lag just ike PS2 did. XBOX transition will be smooth and no game lag will exist between the two consoles.

Sony is in deep trouble. They are going to spent millions in developing a new processor(IBM), now work with Rambus, and a new video chip, and developers have to figure out how all this works all over again.

Looks like the battle is about to heat up, and XBOX version 1.5(out this summer) is only going to spark the fire!

Round 2: Fight!

P.S. here is a little news bit. Built-in WiFi. You figure out the rest. :woot:

Hah, PS was never any good in my eyes. If PS3 is that amazing, then it'll cost like as much as the iPod did when it was first released...and that's sad. Sony shouldn't be impressing people with huge specs. By the time it's released, the fatest processor will already be at least near to what the PS3 has in store for us. Besides, open up and Xbox case and you have all the cool stuff. Not to mention you can hack the Xbox and develop for it easily. Xbox also has the best graphics, and will probably stay that way. Sony had a great machine, but left out some major development things. Too bad for Sony. :p

100x faster than a P4? My ass. I will believe it only when it's out and actually can show these 100x.

Comparable to a 3gig Intel P4 that would have to run at 300 gig and I don't believe them sort of advances are anywhere in the near future.

MARKETING HYPE THATS ALL THIS IS.

Well, it's one big PowerPC CPU and supposednly 8 vector CPUs (whatever they're supposed to do). You can gain a nice speed advantage thru multiprocessing, but noway you get 100x the power, not with 1 real CPU and 8 special-application CPUs.

Pure Marketing Hype, which is similar to a paper launch. When you don't have the hardware to counter the competition you start talking about what you will have... This is similar to the Nvidia/ATI situation where Nvidia didn't have the hardware to counter the 9700 so they began to talk about their future products, which hadn't even taped out....

To be honest Microsoft has the advantage in that they aren't designing anything new, they rely on other companies to do that, and simply have the machines put together, which will be much easier and less expensive....Also by relying on other companies they are likely to have the fastest processors and graphics because other companies are making them and the lead time is better....

I'm not sure if this has been said already but, i wonder how much this will cost...I'm not spending more than 300 bucks for a video game system...

Geez, and people talk about how much Xbox is like a PC. IMO Nintendo is the only company who hasn't lost sight of what a real game system is like, you don't see there systems having the best available specs but they still do come through with the best console and easiest to program for. :happy:

Who cares about the technical specs of a system? In my opinion the proof of any console is in the games... Thats why I have a Gamecube - Its the classic Nintendo strategy - dont produce the most powerful system (Therefore its cheaper to build) but make the games that are so playable

Its also the reason i have a PS2... not the most powerful by a long shot... But GT3 IMO is the best most acurate and entertaining driving game ever made...

And when the time comes I will get an Xbox ( hopefully they will have shrunk it a bit... :D )... but I am still waiting for that killer app... I know all the Xbox d00ds will say Halo and Splinter Cell are those candidates, but there coming to PC so I will get them then...

Thats my piece neways

Speak to u soon

Dan

Playstation 3: 100x Faster than Pentium 4, Deal puts Rambus in future PlayStation

Great..... 100x faster than a P4 now.... 50x faster than an AMD XP now.... but by the time it comes out I'm pretty sure it won't be faster than an average PC :p