New Browser Quadruples Surfing Speed

:D

Check this out! A 16 year-old Irish school boy has written a Web browser called XWEBS. It's 6 times faster then IE, Netscape and all the rest.

He won the young scientist award for his school in Ireland, a highly regarded prize. He seems to be a bright boy because he has patented the ideas :devil: and has asperations to go to Havard University.

Sadly he's not releasing it to the public and is in talks with companies... so looks like he has sold out. Maybe school needs to teach the benefits of Open-Source at an early age :D

http://newsobserver.com/24hour/technology/...p-5244591c.html

or

http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2003/01/...perbrowser.html

yeh i dont really know whether to believe that meself

oh btw

Welcome to Neowin Ruair?

:))

I don't buy it, no program that "speeds your internet" has ever succeeded and this one is no different. How he got that award is the mysterious part though. :blink:

from what I read about this is that this browser uses a new algorithim that allows much much better compression so that much much more information can be sent at a time. So to put it like this.

If your current connection with current browsers compression will transfer 50Kbps. If that 50k can be compressed let's say 5 times more than current browsers you could now transfer 250 kilobits of information in the same pipe as your current 50kbps connections. In this example your speed gain would be very good on a dial-up modem.

If your cable connection is 2Mbps and this browser can send the inforamtion back and forth 5 times more compressed per second than this browser can send 10 Megabits of date through the 2Mbps pipe. I think this could be close enough based on how I understood the article.

Maybe I'm just totally wrong on this. But as I say and most others I believe it when I see it.

See it from the logical or common sense point of view. There are thousands of mathematicians with PhD working in the compression work area, and the best result they achieved on lossless compression is down to 60% of the original size, and that works only for audio files, since you can apply prediction to it. Now you're telling me that some 16yr kiddo created a lossless 5:1 compression for all sort of data?! No way.

Just to remind you guys... Remember that 20 DVD to 1 CD magic codec, that can also store 30mins of crystal clear TV picture on a floppy? Latter one would be 32 byte per frame of PAL video. Same bullpoop as right now.

Why is everyone bashing on this kid? He's just a kid doing something for a science fair project. I think he should be commended, who cares if it works or not. The fact he went to all this trouble, much more work then any other child of the same age would do with a science fair project, is highly commendable.

hey more power to him.

but when in the last few years have you heard anything that can be improved quadruple and that wasn't hype?

download accelerators, compression programs, cpus, video cards, games, whatever. it's all been so polished and advanced that if it was possible to quadruple in a single change(instead of bunch of small improvements) it would already happen.

it's called "taking with a grain of salt"(with some minor bashing ;) )

What the people involved in the judging process are saying is this: as has been noted several times, the browser is a *student project* that shows talented and original programming capability deserving of formal recognition, hence Adnan's receipt of the overall Young Scientist of the Year award. It may or may not have commercial potential, but this is NOT the point of this national competition. It is also not a formal research environment nor is it a showcase for potential commercial products or a venue in which students try to seek funding or commercial recognition. It is a national schools science competition. A large number of people seem to ignore this and expect a boy to be approaching his schools project as if it were a professional submission to the W3C or as a commercial challenger to Internet Explorer