952 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find Neowin?

• A Google (Search) Result
    • From a friend/acquaintance
    • At work
    • By a news story
    • From TV/Radio
    • Link exchange / Linked from another site

I started following Neowin while Windows XP was still in development and remember how crazy the site went after 9/11. It's amazing to think how much time I've spent here.

impossible.

i found this place looking for windows whistler news (and later on, i stayed for the XP themes)

Google didnt bother for overseas till after 2000. Great it existed before, but not to most of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny how I found out about this site..

I was actually doing my research between dell and asus.. coz I'm planning to buy a new laptop. I saw this post of one of the forumer.. and I was like " oooh this is cool:)"

then I signed up :)

I was on a Linux forum and there was a discussion regarding Linux fanboys (of which there are numerous examples) and how they make Linux a toxic community to be a part of. People seemed to believe it's only Linux and OSX that have fanboys and that Windows doesn't, so to provide a counterpoint someone provided a link to a news article posted on Neowin which was absolutely dripping with Windows fanboyism and honestly, some slander against Linux (I think it was that "Linux is dead on the desktop" article from a few years back, can't quite remember).

impossible.

i found this place looking for windows whistler news (and later on, i stayed for the XP themes)

Same here. I registered in 2012 but in 2001 I found Neowin by looking for XP themes and Whistler news

• 1 month later...

hi all,

i found this place when i was trying to find out how to score an invite for google inbox. i have been on google's request list for weeks but  have not had a nibble. i have recently redone most of my personal computer system, ditched all commercial software solutions and have finally made the step to completely go with open source solutions. you know what? life is already much better ... my email is currently the only thing that i am not happy with and i am hoping that inbox will be a useful solution for this. i have been an early google adopter for everything from chrome to glass to the nexus phones and tablets. i have written an public domain college textbook for animal behavior <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Animal_Behavior>, i am developing open source software for computational ethology <iethology.com>, and i do basic medical research on different neurological diseases. if anyone is willing to share an inbox invite, i will be eternally grateful. i can sweeten the deal by offering to send you a jar of our organic honey from our apiary at the Black Swamp Conservation area <black-swamp.org>, with best wishes and warm greetings,

robert <rh.bgsu@gmail.com>

• 4 weeks later...

Well I use to be on a forum with a really small community and threads got barely any reply's and eventually I got bored of it so I decided to go looking for another forum with a larger community and that's how I found Neowin.

I have to say this forum is far better than what I was previously using. 

Neowin was mentioned on a Football (Soccer) forum I frequent, can't remember by who our why but here I am.

hi all,

i found this place when i was trying to find out how to score an invite for google inbox. i have been on google's request list for weeks but have not had a nibble. i have recently redone most of my personal computer system, ditched all commercial software solutions and have finally made the step to completely go with open source solutions. you know what? life is already much better ... my email is currently the only thing that i am not happy with and i am hoping that inbox will be a useful solution for this. i have been an early google adopter for everything from chrome to glass to the nexus phones and tablets. i have written an public domain college textbook for animal behavior <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Animal_Behavior>, i am developing open source software for computational ethology , and i do basic medical research on different neurological diseases. if anyone is willing to share an inbox invite, i will be eternally grateful. i can sweeten the deal by offering to send you a jar of our organic honey from our apiary at the Black Swamp Conservation area , with best wishes and warm greetings,

robert

Sent. Welcome to Neowin!

I was looking for pictures of giant coffee mugs and then I read a news article was about some beta version of windows and it linked to neowin.

I later figured out that this was NOT a website about coffee :cry:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was signed up to be a beta tester for Windows 10,but decided not too. I found your piece on Win 10 and Spartan and decided you have all kinds of good info.

I was signed up to be a beta tester for Windows 10,but decided not too. I found your piece on Win 10 and Spartan and decided you have all kinds of good info.

give it a month, then you'll figure out no one here knows what we're talking about :p

Pretty sure it was a link from Thurott, Winbeta, or Engadget. Now of those I only occasionally visit Winbeta.