951 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find Neowin?

• A Google (Search) Result
    • From a friend/acquaintance
    • At work
    • By a news story
    • From TV/Radio
    • Link exchange / Linked from another site

After venting about another site's foolishness, a friend recommended Neowin. I've registered and await discovering if this platform offers a better experience, as they say the grass might be greener here.

• Like 1

I kinda feel like I've been here since day one (this isn't my first account, my first one got locked out somehow) was here almost from the first post from what I remember 🤣 at the min I've been on here since the end of Jan 2001?

Steven, when did this site officially start again?

Edited by neufuse
  • Like 1

On 26/08/2023 at 23:35, neufuse said:

I kinda feel like I've been here since day one (this isn't my first account, my first one got locked out somehow) was here almost from the first post from what I remember 🤣 at the min I've been on here since the end of Jan 2001?

Steven, when did this site officially start again?

1 October 2000. We didn't have a forum (that we could save) until July 2001.

On 27/08/2023 at 04:34, Steven P. said:

1 October 2000. We didn't have a forum (that we could save) until July 2001.

Yeah I knew it was just a news site at first, cant remember when I first "registered" 😅

On 27/08/2023 at 15:59, neufuse said:

Yeah I knew it was just a news site at first, cant remember when I first "registered" 😅

We did have a forum called Ikonboard in 2000 (predecessor to Invision Board and coded by Matt Mecham), but it was CGI based, then we moved to vBulletin (PHP) in July 2001 and later (I think 2003) we moved to Invision Board when they briefly hosted us, but also when they switched to PHP and added some features we needed. I don't think we moved to IPS until v1.3. Matt Mecham helped with the database migration 😛 

On 20/10/2007 at 19:58, Tantawi said:

:D

I found it by Google while searching for something I don't remember.

Trying to search for the Theleme thebla~.rar file? Lol (not a Soler I see).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/12/2023 at 07:30, Enough said:

I am a returnee after an absence of about 15 or more years.

Couldn't remember my previous username so decided to make a fresh start.

Greetings to all here!

Hi Enough,

Myself or another member of staff will be in contact soon to help you recover your original account. But welcome back!

On 09/12/2023 at 09:27, Joegroomzzz said:

Hi I'm Joe and I'm trying to get a tablet ,I found this site from some friends that told me about it 

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Neowin! I would suggest starting a new topic in the Hardware Hangout area to ask for suggestions. Be sure to let them know what Operating Systems you like to work with, and the general specs that you would want from a tablet.

Hello, my name is Tyler. I'm trying to improve myself in all facets of my life, technical literacy and basics of programming are areas I am actively trying to learn more about. Sometimes I can't rightly explain in simple terms how I did something I managed to because I don't understand it well enough to do so. I'm not sure how detailed this introduction should be because I'm not clear on what this area is designed for, but I know if I'm not invited to somewhere from the start I should proceed cautiously. My technical level and knowledge is very basic. I'm meeting challenges as they arrive and figuring out different areas of applied knowledge as needed. That being said if I'm intruding someplace protected, please excuse my actions and if I do not meet any required requisites I can leave if necessary. If not, then again, my name is Tyler and I want learning to be a lifelong pursuit.

On 31/07/2023 at 06:05, Steven P. said:

I met Tom Warren on EFNet, he was going by the name creamhackered and he came to Neowin and not long after (2004) he broke the news about the leaked Windows 2000 source code leak, and the rest is history 😛 

Okay, that username is so familiar, was he also posting on WinBeta? 

Also... Creamy.... Okay I'm done lol...

On 17/12/2023 at 13:36, Matthew S. said:

Also... Creamy.... Okay I'm done lol...

There is something wrong with you. Also me. 

• Haha 1

On 17/12/2023 at 15:58, adrynalyne said:

There is something wrong with you. Also me. 

You've never wondered why we get along? 

• Haha 2

On 17/12/2023 at 21:36, Matthew S. said:

Yeah! I had an account there too :)  That was back in the day that several tech websites helped each other, we had a link share thing going on our main page too (you can still see it on waybackmachine in the 2002-2005 years) I think we ended up removing it when we switched designs in 2006 with our larger right side rail menu (on the main website). But we kept a few buttons of some sites for years after as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I remember years ago, in the early 2000's in high school I had a friend who was pretty tech savvy. This would have been around the advent of msn chat and the wider population using the internet. My friend would post on these forums. As a teenager I was completely in awe that people all over the world could chat with each other and now its commmon as muck 😆. Just started upon a career change myself into software development and whilst admittedly I am a bit of a lurker, I decided I should probably start networking.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...